• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Getting hold of metacam

ImoT

Mama Doe
I've got some metacam left over from when Winston was neutered and I've just had to use it due to a scuffle (I think) between Edith and Winston. However the bottle is running out. Is it possible to just go to a vets practice and ask for a bottle of metacam to have at home? Also are there any other medications you would recommend keeping on tap for situations like this?

Luckily both bunnies are fine. Winston was limping a bit hence the metacam but he's hopping around almost normally now and eating fine. Obviously I'll keep an eye on things and take him straight to the vet if anything changes!

It's a prescription only medicine so it's at the vets discretion whether they allow you to keep some on standby.

Ah okay, i'll have to ask my vet when I next go then! Hopefully they'll understand my reasoning and let me have some :)

Ah okay, i'll have to ask my vet when I next go then! Hopefully they'll understand my reasoning and let me have some :)

Unless you are likely to need it I would be quite surprised if they did, whilst you can buy small bottles of the stuff often vets tend to dispense metacam from one large bottle they have open, and that would have to be used or binned within 6 months, so might not be worth it!

I actually ended up with loads of metacam as I had a bun on daily metacam for life and the vet gave me a prescription for a years supply so I could buy them cheaper online... Sadly Farore died a couple of months later leaving me with 3 unopened bottles. It has been useful but I've never used it without first being to the vets so I wouldn't worry about getting any more!

I've got some metacam left over from when Winston was neutered and I've just had to use it due to a scuffle (I think) between Edith and Winston. However the bottle is running out. Is it possible to just go to a vets practice and ask for a bottle of metacam to have at home? Also are there any other medications you would recommend keeping on tap for situations like this?

Luckily both bunnies are fine. Winston was limping a bit hence the metacam but he's hopping around almost normally now and eating fine. Obviously I'll keep an eye on things and take him straight to the vet if anything changes!

Vets usually prescribe Metacam on a 'need only' basis, for specific conditions. Not to have standing by as a precaution - though I can thoroughly understand your reasoning for wanting some!

I tend to use alternative medicine for emergency situations which don't warrant a vets visit.

My vets let me have metacam to keep in. I buy a 10ml bottle.

My buns are stasis prone though which is why I have it. Lets me avoid midnight vet trips to the clueless OOH vet.

My buns are stasis prone though which is why I have it. Lets me avoid midnight vet trips to the clueless OOH vet.

Same here, though Smudge hasn't had an episode for some time thankfully.

Mini is now on twice daily metacam though so we always have a huge bottle around!

So does mine. The Vet does need to have examined the Rabbit prior to giving the medication and it is then a matter for the individual Vet/Client as to how much is dispensed.

I get a prescription from my Vet and buy my Metacam online. It is ALOT cheaper

http://www.animeddirect.co.uk/prescriptions/metacam-15mgml-oral-suspension-for-dogs-10ml.html

So does mine. The Vet does need to have examined the Rabbit prior to giving the medication and it is then a matter for the individual Vet/Client as to how much is dispensed.

I get a prescription from my Vet and buy my Metacam online. It is ALOT cheaper

http://www.animeddirect.co.uk/prescriptions/metacam-15mgml-oral-suspension-for-dogs-10ml.html

Wow, thank you for that link, even with the cost of a prescription I think it will save me about £50!

Now if only I could get more then a month's worth of tramadol so I wouldn't have to keep doing a hour long round trip every month. Stupid government regulations. :evil:

Thank you everyone for your replies. Sorry I think I got the impression that most people had spare medications at home, but it seems to be for very specific reasons so maybe not! Should I not have given Winston any metacam without consulting a vet?! It was purely as a precaution and he is totally fine this morning!

Thank you everyone for your replies. Sorry I think I got the impression that most people had spare medications at home, but it seems to be for very specific reasons so maybe not! Should I not have given Winston any metacam without consulting a vet?! It was purely as a precaution and he is totally fine this morning!

I would speak with your Vet as to what you should do should a potential problem arise in the future :)

I think on a public forum such as this, you won't find people advising you to give medications without a vet's say-so on every single occasion. However, I can assure you that many people do :)

I am sure you have not done Winston any harm by giving him a dose of Metacam, but it would be wise to consult with a vet should you suspect a medical problem emerging that may need attention :thumb:

Last edited:
How much is it for a prescription? I'm struggling to afford metacam from my vets. It's a fraction of the price from animed.

I asked my friend who works at my vets and they charge £9, which is actually not bad. Apparently they will do it for more than one bottle at a time as well so it means only paying for the one written prescription which is excellent.

Good thread. I was beginning to worry about affording the £25 per 32ml bottle. It doesn't last me long, especially lately.

I asked my friend who works at my vets and they charge £9, which is actually not bad. Apparently they will do it for more than one bottle at a time as well so it means only paying for the one written prescription which is excellent.

Good thread. I was beginning to worry about affording the £25 per 32ml bottle. It doesn't last me long, especially lately.

Yes, my Vet does x3, or at least she did when I had a lot more Rabbits. Many of whom were on long-term treatment for various reasons.

Back