• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Worried as usual. (Update)

Loulou8425

Warren Scout
Our new boy is getting neutered on Monday. I'm so worried about his recovery. I usually panic about the slightest thing with them and I'm very vigilant ( maybe to vigilant):roll: when lily was neutered she recovered very slowly as was quite unwell due to pain. Do males recover quicker? He's very happy and active and just lives to binky and He eats hay like he's never going to be fed again :) I'm so worried he goes downhill like lily did.

Last edited:
Totally normal to worry about them undergoing surgery!
Males do tend to recover a bit quicker than girls as their surgery is less invasive. If he has a good appetite anyway then he should be quite easy to get eating again. Just make sure to give him his pain medication and in a smallish space so he can't rip his stitches, and he should be fine. My male had his operation in the morning and by late evening he was eating pellets and hay and the next day he was hopping around, whereas my females took a few days to eat properly.

Generally males do recover more quickly because the surgery isn't as extensive. He sounds a very healthy, active lad and I'm sure he will make a speedy recovery x

The vet didn't give me enough pain meds for lily and the poor wee thing was just so lethargic for what felt like a lifetime. I'm dreading it. I trust the vet fully but the fear it goes wrong is still there.

I completely understand - I was very nervous before our little guy's op. As others have said, males tend to recover faster and our guy was eating at the vets before we picked him up. He was still a bit drowsy by the time we got him home, but ate fine. His first poo was dark and sticky, but they were back to normal by morning. We just restricted his exercise area for a few days (no jumping on the sofa till after the check-up a few days later!)
Will be thinking of you on Monday xxx

My little man was neutered last Thursday and I was really scared too but he recovered super fast. If you want to take a look at the thread where I was posting about it then it is called 'Neutering' and is in the health section I think, hopefully it should make you feel better about it all :)

Thank you all so much. I will read your thread WillowAndBiscuit. I'll update tomorrow evening after he's home.

George is finally home. Vets said it went really well. He didn't eat much whilst there but has pooped and ate some veg and a small drop hay as soon as he got home. No stitches or glue!!!

He's eating, drinking, pooping, peeing and moving around fine :D:D. Dreading the morning meds though. Hoping hes is even better by morning and eating more hay. Fingers crossed I can get him to take his meds.

He's eating, drinking, pooping, peeing and moving around fine :D:D. Dreading the morning meds though. Hoping hes is even better by morning and eating more hay. Fingers crossed I can get him to take his meds.

Great news! Hope he takes his meds ok - our guy seemed to like the taste (we put drops on his pellets) xxx

Great news! Hope he takes his meds ok - our guy seemed to like the taste (we put drops on his pellets) xxx
You're so lucky! My boy hated it and hated being syringe fed even more so he stopped trusting me! :( He soon came around though when I offered carrotys and head rubs ;)

I put it on banana and the other lot inside a leaf of veg. Took no p4obs. I figured it was easier to do it that way than try stick it in his mouth. He's not keen on being handled. He had eaten a decent amount of hay last night so hope he keeps it up.

Back