• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits on hard flooring...advice please!

ImoT

Mama Doe
So Edith and Winston are kept in the kitchen, they have free range in there. The floor is amtico, which is a bit like vinyl. I used to have their litter tray on a little rug with some space round the edge for nap time and then another rug under the breakfast bar for nap time, but Edith just destroys any mat/rug/towel I put down. I've tried putting towels and mats in their manor pet housing hide but Edith takes them out almost immediately and shreds them. I got the impression she's not a fan and I was worried about her ingesting fabric so now they have nothing. The only soft/cosy place is their litter tray. I feel bad for Winston as he really likes having a kip on a rug so now he takes himself off to the litter tray. Will they be okay on just the amtico flooring? And has anyone got any ideas about any rugs or mats Edith might approve of?!

It's not cheap but see if you can get hold of a piece of vet bed. It's cosy and fluffy and, hopefully, less edible.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was considering vet bed but I'm worried Edith will shred that too! I wasn't sure if those foam jigsaw piece flooring tiles might be worth a try too? I can see her chewing that though :/ I just want them to be comfy!

Vet bed isn't readily shredible! Hector "digs" it but gets nowhere really!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oo that's good to know, I'll buy a small bit and if Edith approves I will get some more, thank you for your suggestion :)

I got some of those foam jigsaw tiles when one of our bunnies seemed to be showing the first signs of sore hocks. They had a blanket but she liked to "dig" at it and then sit on the hard floor underneath! The tiles don't seem to have been chewed and her feet are looking better :) Also very easy to keep the whole area clean. I got them from Argos I think, fairly cheap.

So Edith and Winston are kept in the kitchen, they have free range in there. The floor is amtico, which is a bit like vinyl. I used to have their litter tray on a little rug with some space round the edge for nap time and then another rug under the breakfast bar for nap time, but Edith just destroys any mat/rug/towel I put down. I've tried putting towels and mats in their manor pet housing hide but Edith takes them out almost immediately and shreds them. I got the impression she's not a fan and I was worried about her ingesting fabric so now they have nothing. The only soft/cosy place is their litter tray. I feel bad for Winston as he really likes having a kip on a rug so now he takes himself off to the litter tray. Will they be okay on just the amtico flooring? And has anyone got any ideas about any rugs or mats Edith might approve of?!

To be honest, Amtico is not as bad as vinyl and veneer or even wood flooring (I have found :D). They seem to still have some grip on there.

I have tried those bamboo beach mats you get for a pound around the place. They could nibble the edges, but not so easy to pull up and shred. Also, not so harmful if ingested (though of course not recommended).

Seagrass mattting is totally safe, but possibly not so good on the little feet. You need something grippy but not nibbly ... Stable matting?

I got some of those foam jigsaw tiles when one of our bunnies seemed to be showing the first signs of sore hocks. They had a blanket but she liked to "dig" at it and then sit on the hard floor underneath! The tiles don't seem to have been chewed and her feet are looking better :) Also very easy to keep the whole area clean. I got them from Argos I think, fairly cheap.

Good to know the tiles haven't been chewed!

To be honest, Amtico is not as bad as vinyl and veneer or even wood flooring (I have found :D). They seem to still have some grip on there.

I have tried those bamboo beach mats you get for a pound around the place. They could nibble the edges, but not so easy to pull up and shred. Also, not so harmful if ingested (though of course not recommended).

Seagrass mattting is totally safe, but possibly not so good on the little feet. You need something grippy but not nibbly ... Stable matting?

Amtico is quite grippy and quite warm, but I still feel bad! Stable matting is great idea...although huge?!

Back