• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Baby rexes!

Kavanne

Mama Doe
A couple of weeks before Christmas I took in a pair of rabbits from a Facebook ad.

33ace4f9f8fa0ce9e818b14581e3ba63.jpg

I managed to arrange to collect them on the Saturday night and bought them home, we left the girl's nest as intact as possible inside the indoor cage they were in and separated them

800b178e9af5f43a14ce1908997f7de0.jpg

On Tuesday morning she had created a wriggling nest! She had 3 babies but one was very small and he did not survive :(

But we had two gorgeous tiny babies. Here they are at a few days old.

dc162db5467813919b1336d654b59a93.jpg

79201b34291c4b56468b62c4e2105cd4.jpg

And they haven't stopped growing since!

4a3ce279932009fd0e1c93fb1e518253.jpg

Last edited:
They are so precious :love:

I don't think there is anything more adorable or fun, as baby bunnies. This makes me really miss when mine were babies. It's such a fun experience.

1df9d7ca60bfb0c012e6b7d7fe4facf1.jpg

Mama - now named Juniper
840a577b2620e2dc6bc3d62a57fc5718.jpg

5d8986dc6885b8e82085438a187c8101.jpg

And yesterday
d36b93e0fb6f7ab9ee55e29e3aa61c5c.jpg

They are nearly 6 weeks now and had their vaccinations last week. All the staff at the vets came out for a cuddle and commented how good they were at being handled and how adorable they are! I told the story of how they came to be and they said they hear it a lot.

Mum dad and babies will all be staying here with us after my boyfriend had a wobbly and decided he couldn't possibly part with them! [emoji85][emoji85]

They are so precious :love:

I don't think there is anything more adorable or fun, as baby bunnies. This makes me really miss when mine were babies. It's such a fun experience.

Thanks! Never expected to see any bunnies from birth and growing but it's been an amazing, if stressful, experience

Awww so cute :love: As for the original ad' for them................oh dear................. :? :cry:

Just a wee bit of advice, feel free to ignore it if you like. But Rexes, as you probably know, are prone to sore hocks. Some of it being determined genetically. IE some particular Rex breed lines have a stronger disposition to it than others. Generally speaking if a Rex gets to 12 months of age and their hocks remain well covered, with good husbandry/ being housed on the correct type of base substrate they should be at no more risk than most other Rabbits. So personally I would not house Rexes on a hard floor surface. Especially babies.

Hope you dont mind me mentioning this, just trying to be helpful and not trying to tell you what to do.

Thank goodness you were able to take the family on. I dread to think what could have happened to them had you not done so.

Do they all have names yet ?

Awww so cute :love: As for the original ad' for them................oh dear................. :? :cry:

Just a wee bit of advice, feel free to ignore it if you like. But Rexes, as you probably know, are prone to sore hocks. Some of it being determined genetically. IE some particular Rex breed lines have a stronger disposition to it than others. Generally speaking if a Rex gets to 12 months of age and their hocks remain well covered, with good husbandry/ being housed on the correct type of base substrate they should be at no more risk than most other Rabbits. So personally I would not house Rexes on a hard floor surface. Especially babies.

Hope you dont mind me mentioning this, just trying to be helpful and not trying to tell you what to do.

Thank goodness you were able to take the family on. I dread to think what could have happened to them had you not done so.

Do they all have names yet ?

Thank you! Dad had quite bad sore hocks when he arrived, was afraid they were going to open up. He's had bath mats since and they've cleared up nicely. Mum was OK but I'll go and steal some of Toby's vet bed! He won't mind sharing, I'm sure :)

Mum is Juniper, Dad is Velvet and I think we have two boys who we've called Gizmo and Mohawk (why did I let my boyfriend name one???). Gizmo has a bit more white on the back of his neck than Mo so we can just about tell the difference!

Last edited:
Oh my goodness...there isn't a "squee" loud enough! :love:
Lucky bunnies and lucky you too! :) I doubt I could part with them either. At least the original owner realized they'd taken on too much, but yeah, I kinda cringed at the ad wording. :roll:

Many happy, healthy years wished for you and this lovely family. :love: Bless you! xxxxxxx

Thank you! Dad had quite bad sore hocks when he arrived, was afraid they were going to open up. He's had bath mats since and they've cleared up nicely. Mum was OK but I'll go and steal some of Toby's vet bed! He won't mind sharing, I'm sure :)

Mum is Juniper, Dad is Velvet and I think we have two boys who we've called Gizmo and Mohawk (why did I let my boyfriend name one???). Gizmo has a bit more white on the back of his neck than Mo so we can just about tell the difference!

Yes, differentiating between very similar babies can be tricky until we get to know their individual personalities !!

They are absolutely beautiful.

I'm so glad they are with you :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well done :thumb: They are so very lovely. I wouldn't have been able to part with them either :love:

Back