• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is it possible to determine a rabbits age?

roxyroller88

Mama Doe
I've looked online and there doesn't seem to be a definite answer. So far I've seen sites that say you can determine a rabbits age from their teeth, gums, nails, body type etc etc and some that say that it's impossible to tell after about a year. Will a vet really be able to tell? And will I be able to get Bill insured if we don't know his age? :/

It's really difficult to tell once they have reached adulthood. There are some signs that a rabbit may be a little older rather than younger, for instance my vet says she never sees horizontal ridges on incisors (a sign of dental disease) in rabbits less than a year old. Teeth also discolour with age, but also with diet. So there are a few different indications but nothing very concrete, so it would only ever be a best guess. You can also make inferences based on where they've come from - statistically most rabbits which are given up by their owners are done so in the first year of life, so you could use that as a proxy. I have a feeling that most insurers will accept a best guess (this is certainly what I've done in the past without problem), ideally based on the best guess of your vet as at least that gives you some kind of 'evidence' as such, but I don't think that's necessary and I've never been queried on it.

The front toes of a rabbit also tend to start going a bit wonky with age - not always, and not really a specific age / breed etc as there is a lot of variation, including how they were kept - but if the front toes are straight and neat, it might indicate a younger adult (1-3 years at a guess) rather than a middle aged one.

If your vet regularly sees rabbits and you think the age they give is reasonable, I would go with their estimate. The insurers are less likely to query it and all the paperwork will tie up - which makes an insurance claim much smoother.

Few people know exactly how old their pets are, unless they came directly from the person who bred them and they kept accurate records. Even pet shop animals can be a month or so out in age as youngsters as they always give a standard age when you ask, no matter how long they have been there. They are just more obviously quite young. So I guess that insurers can only take the educated guess for most animals anyway.

Last edited:
Flo was a stray so I wasn't sure of her age at all. She was adult but we thought fairly young - un-neutered, teeth perfect so we went for 1-2 years. I insured her with petplan, I told them I didn't know her age and they asked just for a best guess! As long as your not wildly out they won't question it :)

Back