• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

New Rabbit Precautions

Calathea

Young Bun
At some point we will get another rabbit, a female for Alfie, I'm not sure when but I'd like to be prepared.

What precautions do you take when getting another bun to reduce the risks of passing things like EC on?

With regards to any diseases or injuroes being shared: make sure they are both vaccinated and wormed, also take them both for health checks before introducing them so that the vet can check for mites etc. Also make sure to bond them correctly and slowly so that any major injuries can be prevented as best as possible.

I'm excited for you and hope to see lots of pictures of your new bunny once you get her!

The D1ck vet in Edinburgh recommend treating all new buns with panacur for 28 days for EC. When we got our new bun they advised us to treat the new and existing bun.
This is their sheet on EC:
http://www.ed.ac.uk/polopoly_fs/1.106081!/fileManager/E CUNICULI IN RABBITS.pdf

as above, health check with your vet and up to date with vaccs & spayed.

Good luck with the new bun when you decide the time is right

That is what I have always done.

I expect Alfie will be very happy to have a friend :)

With regards to any diseases or injuroes being shared: make sure they are both vaccinated and wormed, also take them both for health checks before introducing them so that the vet can check for mites etc. Also make sure to bond them correctly and slowly so that any major injuries can be prevented as best as possible.

I'm excited for you and hope to see lots of pictures of your new bunny once you get her!

I agree with this advice :)

Some people just give a 9 day course of Panacur when a new rabbit enters the household. This is effective against worms, but not the parasite E.C. For that, a 28 day course is effective (if anything is!)

Good luck xx

Back