• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Boarding - what do you pay and what do you expect for that?

Bethy

Young Bun
Just found a local rabbit boarder who seems absolutely wonderful.

She charges £10 for full board for a pair and £8 if you provide your own bedding and food. Seems pretty good value to me but I was wondering what people generally expect to pay?

Also anything specific I should ask/look out for?

Thanks. :)

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

We pay £8 per day for a bonded pair sharing a hutch (£6 a day for individual rabbits).

We supply their own food & special treats but she supplies all hay, bedding, toys etc. (Only reason you have to supply food/treats is because she wants to minimise risk of tummy upsets).

I always ask about their experience & check what their hutches are like etc. Find out what her daily routine is for the buns (our boarder sticks to our feeding schedule to prevent stress caused by change of routine). Find out about their protocols when it comes to an illness/injury. A good boarder will generally insist on a vaccine certificate to prevent spreead of Mxyo/VHD

Just make sure you're generally happy with her. If something doesn't seem quite right then maybe look elsewhere.

We pay £8 per day for a bonded pair sharing a hutch (£6 a day for individual rabbits).

We supply their own food & special treats but she supplies all hay, bedding, toys etc. (Only reason you have to supply food/treats is because she wants to minimise risk of tummy upsets).

I always ask about their experience & check what their hutches are like etc. Find out what her daily routine is for the buns (our boarder sticks to our feeding schedule to prevent stress caused by change of routine). Find out about their protocols when it comes to an illness/injury. A good boarder will generally insist on a vaccine certificate to prevent spreead of Mxyo/VHD

Just make sure you're generally happy with her. If something doesn't seem quite right then maybe look elsewhere.
I didn't even think about vaccine certificates. Will double check that she asks for them. Thanks for the reply. :)

I'm v fussy with boarding!!

Sorry for short reply as I'm on my phone, but I require as standard:

Hutches at least 7/8ft or 6ft with run
Insist on vaccinations (and don't make exceptions in any circumstances)
Absolutely no runs on grass as diseases spread so easily
Decent hay (would ask to see it if wasn't sure)
Predator protection
Good seperation from other buns, won't let mine see others as they could get referred aggression
Knowledgeable owner - would quiz if unsure
Owner has good vet
Ask about cleaning regime, should be steam cleaning and / or using vet grade disinfectant (not pet shop bottles)
No sawdust

I travel to Surrey for boarding of my 3 :) cost £10.50 per night but it's a rescue so I would always over pay. I charge £10 a night for my clients

Last edited:
Also, another thing that is important is how the person acts around bunnies. I would want them to be calm and not too 'in their face' - especially as my boy is blind and can scare easily. Someone who wants to pick up and cuddle my bunnies as soon as they arrive is not good IMO as they're likely to get stressed out.

The place I go to is amazing. It costs £6 per pair per day and I take their food. The bunnies have a large enclosure, which is very secure and the lady who runs it loves animals. She always texts me to let me know they 've settled in (Pippin is a nervous traveller).
Vaccs certificates are really important.
I actually relax on holiday there because I know how happy the bunnies are there. I love it when I go yo pick them up and I can just see them doing their thing!

A good rabbit boarder is worth their weight in gold!

I think £10 per pair of bunnies is the going rate. That's what I charge, and people usually bring the dry food as I don't have all the selections in. I provide all the hay, bedding and vegetables.

I don't believe in cages so where possible boarding buns are housed in large dog runs or enormous mansions.

I think the expertise of the boarder is paramount. Someone who knows bunnies, and who knows just what to look out for ...

A good rabbit boarder is worth their weight in gold!

I think £10 per pair of bunnies is the going rate. That's what I charge, and people usually bring the dry food as I don't have all the selections in. I provide all the hay, bedding and vegetables.

I don't believe in cages so where possible boarding buns are housed in large dog runs or enormous mansions.

I think the expertise of the boarder is paramount. Someone who knows bunnies, and who knows just what to look out for ...

I think I'll bring my bunnies to you :) I daren't put mine in a cage :? Whats a mansion (in the context of bunny housing)?

I think I'll bring my bunnies to you :) I daren't put mine in a cage :? Whats a mansion (in the context of bunny housing)?

It's a thing about 10 foot long, 3 foot wide, on two levels, with a Mezzanine, a ramp with foot holds, a sleeping compartment big enough to hold a box of hay and also have an annexe. A downstairs with tunnels/tubes, boxes and a step stool to jump on top of and hide under ... Several seagrass mats to provide shade and chewing joy and willow balls filled with hay along with cardboard boxes to hide in. The inside at the back is covered with apple twigs to nibble on in case of late night hunger ..

I change the layout every few days to prevent boredom ...

Then there's the massive dog run/pen with concrete base and walk in sheltered area and run area ...

I couldn't keep a rabbit in a cage either :thumb:

It's a thing about 10 foot long, 3 foot wide, on two levels, with a Mezzanine, a ramp with foot holds, a sleeping compartment big enough to hold a box of hay and also have an annexe. A downstairs with tunnels/tubes, boxes and a step stool to jump on top of and hide under ... Several seagrass mats to provide shade and chewing joy and willow balls filled with hay along with cardboard boxes to hide in. The inside at the back is covered with apple twigs to nibble on in case of late night hunger ..

I change the layout every few days to prevent boredom ...

Then there's the massive dog run/pen with concrete base and walk in sheltered area and run area ...

I couldn't keep a rabbit in a cage either :thumb:

Never mind the bunnies-think I will come and board in the mansion.:lol:

Think my bunnies would be so happy in any of your accommodation and I know theyd have first class care:)

mightymax that sounds awesome :)

do you ever board bunnies outside that are used to living inside? I just wondered how they'd fare, obviously only in summer. I don't know whether itd be nicer for mine to be in or out(with more space presumably)

mightymax that sounds awesome :)

do you ever board bunnies outside that are used to living inside? I just wondered how they'd fare, obviously only in summer. I don't know whether itd be nicer for mine to be in or out(with more space presumably)

Yes I do, and they seem to love it :D

I think if you can find somewhere that boards outside, and it's not too cold, then they may find the whole experience quite a laugh, especially as your buns are used to a ramble outside now and again anyway :D

I'm v fussy with boarding!!

Sorry for short reply as I'm on my phone, but I require as standard:

Hutches at least 7/8ft or 6ft with run
Insist on vaccinations (and don't make exceptions in any circumstances)
Absolutely no runs on grass as diseases spread so easily
Decent hay (would ask to see it if wasn't sure)
Predator protection
Good seperation from other buns, won't let mine see others as they could get referred aggression
Knowledgeable owner - would quiz if unsure
Owner has good vet
Ask about cleaning regime, should be steam cleaning and / or using vet grade disinfectant (not pet shop bottles)
No sawdust

I travel to Surrey for boarding of my 3 :) cost £10.50 per night but it's a rescue so I would always over pay. I charge £10 a night for my clients

This sounds to be what I would look for. I'd also want a pre-booking look about all of the boarding establishment. I would not leave my Rabbits anywhere that I had not actually had a good look around myself in advance. I would also want assurance that the Boarder would ALWAYS seek prompt Veterinary attention for my Rabbits should any become unwell and not rely on any home treatment remedies.

I would be willing to pay up to £20 per day per Rabbit,

I would not be happy leaving my Rabbits with a Boarder who did not Vaccinate their own Rabbits, even if they insisted on Boarders being Vaccinated.

What do you think about what you're offered re boarding, Bethy?

It's so important to feel comfortable with the person - they are going to be looking after your treasures :love:

Yes I do, and they seem to love it :D

I think if you can find somewhere that boards outside, and it's not too cold, then they may find the whole experience quite a laugh, especially as your buns are used to a ramble outside now and again anyway :D

They do enjoy fair weather outside time, so providing we go away before September I think outside would be a more spacious & stimulating environment. I'll pop them on a train & you can pick them up your end :lol:

They do enjoy fair weather outside time, so providing we go away before September I think outside would be a more spacious & stimulating environment. I'll pop them on a train & you can pick them up your end :lol:

I laughed at that :lol:

I'm sure you'll manage to get your holiday organised before September - be a long wait for you both otherwise ..

I laughed at that :lol:

I'm sure you'll manage to get your holiday organised before September - be a long wait for you both otherwise ..

We've waited over 5 years so can handle more waiting - its just nice to know we can go when the time is right :) And hopefully when the time is right my bunnies will board somewhere like yours with organic veggies, lots of secure space/ enrichment & an experienced & sensible bunny owner

We've waited over 5 years so can handle more waiting - its just nice to know we can go when the time is right :) And hopefully when the time is right my bunnies will board somewhere like yours with organic veggies, lots of secure space/ enrichment & an experienced & sensible bunny owner

Yes my organic veggie patch too :D It's still going strong with Kholrabi, two types of kale, cabbages, Japanese leaf greens, purple sprouting broccoli and turnip greens. The buns all get a share of it too :D

What do you think about what you're offered re boarding, Bethy?

It's so important to feel comfortable with the person - they are going to be looking after your treasures :love:
So far, judging from her website I think she hits most criteria other than the runs being on grass. I think I'll arrange to go see her at some point and have a chat and a look around. Mine are both vaccinated so I'm not too concerned about the grass issue as long as general cleanliness is kept to. :)

Back