• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New Rabbit - Poop Mystery!

roxyroller88

Mama Doe
Bills poops are such a strange shape!
They are a decent size but they are quite dark and pointy! Almost like a teardrop shape. Has anyone experienced this before?
We got him yesterday and his poops looked great last night. I'm thinking that maybe we've fed him too much rich food? :/
We gave him some lots of hay (timothy and orchard grass), pellets, a bit of dandelion and plantain and a small tub of Kale and Parsley with a few little chunks of carrot.

Bills poops are such a strange shape!
They are a decent size but they are quite dark and pointy! Almost like a teardrop shape. Has anyone experienced this before?
We got him yesterday and his poops looked great last night. I'm thinking that maybe we've fed him too much rich food? :/
We gave him some lots of hay (timothy and orchard grass), pellets, a bit of dandelion and plantain and a small tub of Kale and Parsley with a few little chunks of carrot.

Any sudden dietary change can cause GI tract upsets. Did you check what his diet has been whilst he was in the shop ?

I would keep his diet to mostly just hay for a few days, as long as he is a good hay eater.

Colour isn't too much of an issue - darker droppings are generally because of grass or very green hay - you get more golden as the hay gets lighter.

How is the size?

He had a hay rack, a bowl of pellets and few veggies chucked in with him when he was in the store. I don't know how much of each he was getting daily though!
His poops are a decent size :)
I think I will just cut him down to just Hay for a few days like suggested, at least until he is settled.
We don't actually know how old he is either, all we know is that someone gave him up and he's been in the adoption center for 4 months so we are unsure of how many pellets to give him :/ so for now he's getting a small scoop of adult pellets.

My buck Jiji has had trouble with the coarser/broader leaf parsley. His urine gets brighter and his poop get weird. I cut back and had him eat just hay and his pellets for a few days and he was back to normal.

Colour isn't too much of an issue - darker droppings are generally because of grass or very green hay - you get more golden as the hay gets lighter.

How is the size?

Yeah if the size is good, then that's the main thing. I find grass and veg makes for darker droppings, but no way a bad thing.

I find grass and veg makes for darker droppings, but no way a bad thing.
During Summer both mine have darker and somewhat smaller poos, because they eat less hay and more grass, and have richer forage, and sometimes their ginormous winter gold poos are elliptical, but they seem fine!

Back