• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hello! bunny bonding questions

oliviaandwez

Young Bun
Hello, I'm fairly new here. I have a gorgeous indoor bunny caller Wez and he is my pride and joy! My first post was about potentially getting another bunny and I have decided to get one.

There is one at an rspca near me.They have said they will bond my bunny with their one for me and I'm mega excited. So my question is, what is the success rate of bonding? I imagine they will know how to do it properly. Basically I don't want to get my hopes up and find that my bunny doesn't like him or something like that.

Has anyone had any experience adopting from the rspca? I have my home check on Saturday. Hoping it all goes well!

Here's a pic of my little boy.

d87f595259cb72f4c7241abe25e59d17.jpg
[/IMG]

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Gorgeous bunny :love:

I adopted from Reading Rabbit Rescue which is associated with the RSPCA and I sent my little Winston off to be bonded with the now Edith. He stayed for a week and it went really well, I now have a happily bonded pair of rabbits. One thing I will say is don't try and necessarily pick a bunny before you visit. I had no idea which bunny Winston would like, the only thing I was fussed about was age, Edith is only a year or so older than Winston and I wouldn't have wanted a bunny who was much old who would then be likely to pass away first and leave poor Winston on his own. The lady at the rescue recommended Edith based on her personality and I am so glad I listened to her. They had 16 baby rabbits in at the time and it was awfully tempting to pick one of those based on the fact they were super cute but I am so happy I went with my instinct and the advice from the rescue.

Here is a photo of my loved up couple, Winston is the black and white bunny, Edith is the all black bunny;
gZfLKSRl.jpg

Last edited:
Wez is lovely:) I got 2 of my bunnies from different RSPCA branches. The home check will just cover space, routine, diet, medical care
I bond my bunnies myself but I think there are lots of advantages of getting the RSPCA to do it for you, it can be a really stressful experience & your rabbits can pick up on that & hopefully they'll be experienced in knowing when to intervene should things get too heated. I'd say theres a pretty good chance they will bond well but you never really know til you try. If not that particularly bunny, its likely Wez will accept some bunny in his life. Good on you:) Bonded bunnies are an absolute joy

Aw thanks for your replies! It's nice to have an idea of what's coming next because I have never been through this before.

Well they have reserved one for me, a little rabbit called Eric. I have a feeling it's a small rescue so they don't have many. They suggested him to me because of his age and because he is also a house rabbit. I am trying very hard not to get my hopes up because there is a chance my bunny wesley won't be a fan. As long as he has company I think I'll be happy!

Yes I'm glad they are bonding them for me as I wouldn't even know where to start. I'm worried that if they bond, a few months down the line they might fight and fall out. Is this common? I'm no good at returning animals to rescues lol!

touch wood I've had bonded pairs for over 20 years & never experienced a falling out. It does happen but I tend not to worry about what I can't predict or control. It maybe that the RSPCA you are dealing with have bunnies staying with fosterers so its easier for them to try Wez with one bunny at a time. Thats how it was at the RSPCA we got Boo from (with Joey all the rabbits were together at a rescue). I hope all goes well

Oo thats good to know! Yes, I think the current bunny they want to pair wesley with is with a foster parent.
Yes fingers crossed! Thanks!

Back