• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Weird noises

daphnephoebe

Wise Old Thumper
So I have a question about bunny noises.

Phoebe has a common one, which is where she'll stamp her foot and then kind of 'ooo' - I'm lead to believe this is an excitement noise?

Daphne is the one that has me confused.... she'll be hopping to me and will kinda of make multiple, short exhale noise through her nose. Vet exam showed no signs of infection or anything that could be causing it. And she only dose it when downstairs away from the cage during play time. Has anyone ever had a rabbit that's done this before? Or any idea what it might be?

They have wood shavings on the bottom of their cage (almost 100% dust free and large particles so not like sawdust), blanket on the top half of the cage & wood based cat litter in their trays with hay on top. We'll be changing them to fitch bedding to see if it'll help.

Phoebe has a common one, which is where she'll stamp her foot and then kind of 'ooo' - I'm lead to believe this is an excitement noise?

Daphne is the one that has me confused.... she'll be hopping to me and will kinda of make multiple, short exhale noise through her nose. Vet exam showed no signs of infection or anything that could be causing it. And she only dose it when downstairs away from the cage during play time. Has anyone ever had a rabbit that's done this before? Or any idea what it might be?

They have wood shavings on the bottom of their cage (almost 100% dust free and large particles so not like sawdust), blanket on the top half of the cage & wood based cat litter in their trays with hay on top. We'll be changing them to fitch bedding to see if it'll help.

Can you post a video of her doing it, with sound obviously ! She could be 'honking'. Bucks tend to do that more, but occasionally a Doe may do so. It is generally an expression of excitement or sexual arousal

Can you post a video of her doing it, with sound obviously ! She could be 'honking'. Bucks tend to do that more, but occasionally a Doe may do so. It is generally an expression of excitement or sexual arousal

I knew she loved me but that's a bit extreme! :lol:

I'll try to get a video and ask the OH to post it for me. She mainly does it when I get onto the floor which does make her excited so that makes sense.

Aboleth's certainly done it before: she also has a 'snort of derision' as that's what it sounds like to me, which is similar but a one-off, not multiple.

In my youth there was this cat on tele, Charlie ! Warning of stranger danger (I think). For those who remember Charlie , Boo sounds identical :lol:

Yes I know what you mean!

I find this happens when a rabbit doesn't get their own way! They may be waiting for something - food - and it doesn't come along fast enough.

I'd love to see a video of Daphne - trying to imagine what you mean :)

We've not had her make any noises for a while now. But I found some recordings of bunny sounds online and it does sound like 'honking' as you suggested Jane.

Back