• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Unable to find testicles

Calathea

Young Bun
Alfie went in for a check up and I asked the vet to see if his testicles had dropped as I've never had a bun before so I'm not sure if I would notice. She said that they hadn't and after spending quite a while trying to find them she couldn't at all - not even his scrotal sack. She said that his penis was a bit of an odd shape too. She asked for a second opinion as to whether he was definitely a boy or not and everyone agreed that he is a he so it's not like he's actually a she.

The vet said to wait a few months until he's a bit older (currently 5 months) and it's spring time as he may have sucked them up as far as possible because of the cold :roll:

Has anyone had any experience of this with buns? Alfie is a mini lop if that makes any difference.

Alfie went in for a check up and I asked the vet to see if his testicles had dropped as I've never had a bun before so I'm not sure if I would notice. She said that they hadn't and after spending quite a while trying to find them she couldn't at all - not even his scrotal sack. She said that his penis was a bit of an odd shape too. She asked for a second opinion as to whether he was definitely a boy or not and everyone agreed that he is a he so it's not like he's actually a she.

The vet said to wait a few months until he's a bit older (currently 5 months) and it's spring time as he may have sucked them up as far as possible because of the cold :roll:

Has anyone had any experience of this with buns? Alfie is a mini lop if that makes any difference.

Yes, Bucks can be very good at retracting their testicles in stressful situations- such has having a pesky Vet fumble about around you willy ! :shock:

Yes, bucks can suck their testicles back into their abdomen, but given that he has an odd shaped penis, I would be interested to know when they will actually descend! 5 months is quite a good age for castration :D

I took George for his first check up and it took the vet a good 5 mins to find his as he had retracted them. He's good to go for his op on the 11th. He's 17 weeks.

Dumb question - do they need to do before he can be neutered?

It's much better and makes for a safer operation if the testicles have descended before neuter. A cryptorchid neuter (where they haven't descended) is more invasive and therefore has a greater chance of complications.

Dumb question - do they need to do before he can be neutered?

There's no such thing as a 'dumb question', with Rabbits I find there are usually more questions than answers. Complicated little fluffs that they are :love:

Generally the surgery is more straightforward if they have descended as if they remain in the abdominal cavity then the surgery requires opening the abdomen. It is often the case that once the Rabbit is under GA the Vet can ease the testicles down if the Rabbit retracted them on conscious examination.

Details about Castration techniques here:

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00...s/Indiv_TechniquesRabbit/CastrationRabbit.htm

My vet told me she'd never operate on a male bunny until both testicles were visible and had dropped. I trust my vets 100% they are excellent especially with my bunnies so I wouldn't get him castrated just yet even if your vet gives the go ahead. A lot of vets don't have a clue.

My vet told me she'd never operate on a male bunny until both testicles were visible and had dropped. I trust my vets 100% they are excellent especially with my bunnies so I wouldn't get him castrated just yet even if your vet gives the go ahead. A lot of vets don't have a clue.

I'm happy to say my vet is very, very good, they've just been awarded the Gold standard Rabbit Friendly Practice status. She mentioned that it was possible to do it without them dropping but that it was only a last resort if they didn't drop and she still couldn't find them or the scrotal sack in 3 months time as there could be internal issues.

I'm happy to say my vet is very, very good, they've just been awarded the Gold standard Rabbit Friendly Practice status. She mentioned that it was possible to do it without them dropping but that it was only a last resort if they didn't drop and she still couldn't find them or the scrotal sack in 3 months time as there could be internal issues.

Sounds great Calathea :thumb:

Lucky to have such a savvy vet!

I just wanted to add...one of Winston's testicles didn't descend, so when he was neutered (at around 10 months old) they did one testicle as they would normally and they had to go in through the abdomen for the other. They kept the undescended testicle in a jar to show students/other vets as it's quite rare! Although it is a bigger operation Winston bounced back really well. So I would wait another few months and if they don't descend the vets may have to go in though the abdomen.

Back