• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

snuffles ? momma bun and now her babies have it too

hi i dont know weather anyone seen my other post about my bun turning out to be a female and ending up having 6 baby buns. not long after we got her she was doing the odd sneeze but the vet said it was prob nothing, i read on ru about not using shavings and use paper and straw instead, which seemed to help a little for a week or 2. she the had the 6 babies and i think the stress caused it to get worse, her nose was wet, then matted inside fore legs and dry snot on the face were she was trying to groom. the vets then said they couldnt treat her because she is lactating. i started her on echineca and she has improved loads, i havnt heard her sneeze in 3 weeks. now most of the babies have got wet noses but no sneezes, i am still puttting the echineca in the water so they are all having it, is there any thing else that i can do to prevent it getting any worse. dad bun was neutered and has been joined in with mum and babies for a week now so he is keeping mum really clean plus cleaning all the babies too. i think squiggles ( mum) stress has gone now that willow (dad) is back with her, but he hasnt developed any symptoms at all. any advice other than echineca would be very welcome.

sorry not replied they keep me really really busy lol.. they are 10 weeks old now. ive booked squiggles in the vets today to be spayed on tuesday they didnt seem concerned about the snuffles but im scared that the extra stress will flare her up again.

sorry not replied they keep me really really busy lol.. they are 10 weeks old now. ive booked squiggles in the vets today to be spayed on tuesday they didnt seem concerned about the snuffles but im scared that the extra stress will flare her up again.

It would be a good idea to ask the Vet again about possibly waiting a bit longer before doing the spay. If she has only just finished raising a litter and has already had a recent bout of 'snuffles' personally I'd want to postpone the spay for another few weeks. Good luck whatever you decide to do.

She will be so low, too low to undergo a spay - please cancel it. Mums can feed their babies up to 12 weeks, I have witnessed this, so I would leave at least another 8 weeks before you have her spayed, and only then if she is healthy.

Last edited:
hi i dont know weather anyone seen my other post about my bun turning out to be a female and ending up having 6 baby buns. not long after we got her she was doing the odd sneeze but the vet said it was prob nothing, i read on ru about not using shavings and use paper and straw instead, which seemed to help a little for a week or 2. she the had the 6 babies and i think the stress caused it to get worse, her nose was wet, then matted inside fore legs and dry snot on the face were she was trying to groom. the vets then said they couldnt treat her because she is lactating. i started her on echineca and she has improved loads, i havnt heard her sneeze in 3 weeks. now most of the babies have got wet noses but no sneezes, i am still puttting the echineca in the water so they are all having it, is there any thing else that i can do to prevent it getting any worse. dad bun was neutered and has been joined in with mum and babies for a week now so he is keeping mum really clean plus cleaning all the babies too. i think squiggles ( mum) stress has gone now that willow (dad) is back with her, but he hasnt developed any symptoms at all. any advice other than echineca would be very welcome.

You're doing really well, and putting echinacea in the water is a very sensible thing to do. I'm glad you've seen such a good improvement through using it. With echinacea it's good to do three weeks on and one week off. Then resume again.

I wouldn't get her spayed just yet. I would try and let her return to better health before going ahead with that.

Good luck xx

thankyou all for the advise she was due to have the op this morning but i took her and told them i didnt want her done yet and said the babies were still feeding and i wanted to give her a chance to get healthier and they agreed with me 100%. i have a lot more confidence that they are very rabbit savvy now thanks to your lots advise, instead of the vet just trying to talk me into it. squiggles is now in a pen ive made for her in my living room for 2 weeks while the babies are all in the dining room. its just an extra 2 weeks on the sofa for me and husband taking turns lol.. i dont want her to feel lonley, shes my baby girl. again thankyou everyone ive not slept all night after reading your comments last night and i feel like you have saved my babies life xxxxxxxxxxxx

Back