• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bald patch

Theo

Warren Scout
Theo has a bald patch on the back of his neck and it is only visible when he lies down and stretches out. He has had it a while and but recently I have noticed it getting bigger and last night it was a bit red. I don't see him scratching very often. I'm wondering if it's over grooming as his buddy Thor does lie across his neck almost like a scarf when they're sleeping. Any ideas?

That's quite a big patch!

It could be mites, or less common, ringworm ... Are you going to see what the vet thinks?

Do you see him being mounted? They sometimes hang on to the fur at the back of the neck when they do that ..

It does look characteristic of ringworm... however its more common for guinea pigs to get this.

Mites would probably be the best bet, or possibly over grooming?

Wouldn't he scratch if it was mites? And wouldn't Thor be effected too?

Not necessarily. It could just be affecting Theo if he has a slightly reduced immune system for some reason.
And they don't normally start scratching it until the mites start burrowing deep into the skin. Depending on the type of mites, depends on when they start scratching. (Obviously this is only if its mites).

I'd say a vet check in case its ringworm/mites as it won't get better by itself if that's the case.

My bridge bun Rio had a bald patch in the same spot,off to the vet.It was mites .Two injections given over a few weeks apart,his wifebun had to be treated too,he didn't scratch either.

Darcy had flaky skin in that same area and it was caused by mites. I'd seen her scratching her ears but not that neck area. Maybe have a look in there ears to see if there is any other evidence that it might be mites?

Darcy had flaky skin in that same area and it was caused by mites. I'd seen her scratching her ears but not that neck area. Maybe have a look in there ears to see if there is any other evidence that it might be mites?

The skin isn't flaky and his ears look fine. I give him a check over every night so I will notice if evidence becomes apparent on his ears. He has had this patch as long as I have had him (almost a year) and I have only just noticed it getting bigger. The vet didn't say anything about it when he was last there for injections and health check.

Just thought I'd update to say his bald patch is growing back and he's got a check up on Thursday.

Is this regrowth typical of mites?

Last edited:
Back