• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Alfie's Checkup

Calathea

Young Bun
Not long been back from the vets with Alfie. I wanted him checked over after Freya's death and he needed his claws clipping anyway so took him in this evening. Both good and bad news.

His teeth are fine, he's put on weight, eyes and ears fine. However, the vet says that he feels a bit skinny and wants me to monitor his weight. She mentioned putting him on a course of Lapizole because of the possibility of Freya's illness being EC but because of how stressed he got during the last course we're putting that off for now. Is there an 'edible' version? Something that he can eat rather than we shove down his throat? What about the PAncur paste? Can I give him a 28 day course of that for EC? We could get his blood tested for EC but the nearly £100 for the test.

Also, she couldn't find his testicles at all and his penis is a slightly abnormal shape. She said not to worry for now but to bring him back in three months time to see if they've appeared.

I wanted this visit to put my mind at rest but it hasn't, I'm so worried and stressed. Is this what owning rabbits is always like? :( :( :(

I'm sorry that the visit to the vet has caused you more stress than putting your mind at ease.

I'm sure that I've read on this Forum about Panacur can be administered as a paste. Here's a link I found for Panacur paste that claims to be pleasant tasting http://www.animeddirect.co.uk/panac...aste-5g.html?gclid=CID1nfPskMoCFRQTGwodz-MIYA
The vet should be able to advise on this.

Did the vet consider the possibility of coccidiosis? I ask because you mention she thought he felt a bit skinny and weight loss/ failure to gain weight can be a symptom of coccidiosis.

I hope things improve for Alfie and for you x

I'm sorry that the visit to the vet has caused you more stress than putting your mind at ease.

I'm sure that I've read on this Forum about Panacur can be administered as a paste. Here's a link I found for Panacur paste that claims to be pleasant tasting http://www.animeddirect.co.uk/panac...aste-5g.html?gclid=CID1nfPskMoCFRQTGwodz-MIYA
The vet should be able to advise on this.

Did the vet consider the possibility of coccidiosis? I ask because you mention she thought he felt a bit skinny and weight loss/ failure to gain weight can be a symptom of coccidiosis.

I hope things improve for Alfie and for you x

I'll call her about the Panacur, see what she says about giving it to him.

No, no mention of coccidosis, I meant to ask but it completely slipped my mind. What other symptoms are there?

Thank you x

Also, he's producing a lot of cecotropes which the vet didn't seem concerned about and said that his tummy is probably a bit out of sorts because of the loss of Freya.

I can't seem to find anything online about excessive cecotropes - is there a cause for it? Should I be concerned? He leaves a lot of them, I'm not sure how many, if any, he actually eats.

VioVet sell Panacur - https://www.viovet.co.uk/Panacur_Rabbit_Paste/c75/ can I give him a course of this do you think?

that paste is fine. You'll need to know the weight to dose correctly. Pets at home sell it too

Alfie is just under 900g, the dosage for the Panacur says 1 syringe graduation per 2.5kg of weight, would it be impossible to give less than half a graduation? I don't know if that's possible with the syringe.

Are there any videos that anyone would recommend for instructions on how to administer medication in a stress free way as possible? If I do have to give him another course of Lapizole I don't want him to get so stressed as he did last time :(

Alfie is just under 900g, the dosage for the Panacur says 1 syringe graduation per 2.5kg of weight, would it be impossible to give less than half a graduation? I don't know if that's possible with the syringe.

Are there any videos that anyone would recommend for instructions on how to administer medication in a stress free way as possible? If I do have to give him another course of Lapizole I don't want him to get so stressed as he did last time :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iGZVYVm5Bg

I find the Panacur paste impossible to dose accurately .. Can your vet nurse show you how to syringe Panacur into him?

I find the Panacur paste impossible to dose accurately .. Can your vet nurse show you how to syringe Panacur into him?

It seems that it would be difficult to dose, certainly with such a small bun. That might be why my vet never bothered mentioning it. I think I will get either the vet (have a great relationship with her now) or a nurse to show me. I don't know if I'm just holding him wrong or what but it's a real struggle.

Alfie is munching on some kale and Science Selective at the minute :) I feel a bit bad because I disturbed his sleep last night. Got upset thinking about Freya, wondering if she would have lived if someone else had bought her instead :( Needed cuddles so went and woke Alfie up for some. He snuggled in right under my chin. Love that little guy to bits.

Well, the vet said to keep an eye on his weight during this checkup as he felt skinny and was just under 900g. Only just managed to get my scales working and he now weighs 1.210kg!! Very pleased :)

Back