• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New shed coming - tips for it please!

carysannie29

Young Bun
Next week my bunnies will be moving into their brand new shed and walk-in aviary from the Welfare Hutch Company! I'm so looking forward to them being warm and dry all the time and me not having to crawl around on my knees to clean them out.

Anyways...I was wondering if anyone has advice on what I can do to maintain the shed well? How to keep it clean and dry? How to feed them hay without it getting everywhere? At the moment I just put their hay on the floor but it gets wet and wasted so quickly. They're generally quite well litter trained but I want to save the shed being covered in wee!

I super appreciate any advice, thanks!

It sounds great :) Territorial marking can account for a lot of stray poops, so they might forget litter training at first. I would get a litter tray large enough for them all to sit in at the same time. I like the underbed storage boxes for trays as they are larger and have higher sides than cat litter trays and stops them from spraying over the edge. I use wood pellet cat litter in the trays, and put hay on top, as they like to eat and toilet at the same time. I would have plain non slip vinyl for the floor which enables them to differentiate from the litter area. You may need to provide more than one tray. Sweeping up poos regularly and putting them into the tray would help too :thumb: I would use a large ceramic bowl for water to prevent spillages.

Putting lino on the floor will make it easier to clean and put something in front of the structure posts,one of My rabbits had a shed too,and she tried to chew on those. If the shed is overlap I would recommend putting silicone in the gaps to keep the shed water proof(Ensure the rabbit can't chew it) Hope that helps.

Much like Zoobec I've recently (in the last 3 days) migrated to a massive litter tray in my playhouse and it's working well (although they still have their old, smaller litter tray adjacent). I keep newspaper down on the floor at the moment as vinyl won't dry quick enough and both my buns had awful damp, matted backsides: now it's just Aboleth who's damp and a bit matty, but she's much better than she was. I think putting paper down meant they thought they could wee everywhere but clearing up fallen hay seems to have helped stop that. I use a large ceramic bowl too: I used to have one small one but they became thirsty once the forage died off for winter and they started eating more hay. I have a hayrack above the litter tray and one above a stool: extra levels are great; mine also have a windowsill (which I can sit on too, as well as either of the stools). A light is usually essential for nighttime checks, and I have a wind-up lamp. I cover the meshed windows in my playhouse with the original perspex windows which I popped out before meshing: these slot into place to protect from rain. I tend not to put them all in (8 in total, 2x 4-panel windows), and thye do have ventialtion holes drilled in and are loose in the frames, but six seems to work well in 5-10°C with average wind and rain. If it gets very wet and windy or cold I go for a seventh, I imagine if it got very cold and windy I'd put all 8 in. There's an uncovered ventilation hole in the back. I've never had much water get in the windows or hole.

We put vinyl lino down in our hutch and it works a treat, we used a vinyl adhesive spray (designed for kitchens/bathrooms) and then sealed the edges with bathroom sealant. Two years later it still looks like new, we just use a copper scourer in areas which they occasionally miss the litter tray. In the run we have used a litter tray from manor pet housing (the smaller deluxe was plenty big enough) and this keeps the hay in very well. Only thing is they still waste loads of hay and pull it onto the litter tray to sit on! Unfortunately I don't think there is anyway around this they just love to sit on the hay and pull it out. It does keep the runs very tidy though. They just eat and poop/wee at the same time!

My shed has lino down (not fixed so a bit nibbled at the edges) and mesh panels round the edge to stop them gnawing out.

Intend to line it with ply once the nice weather comes along (and my motivation)!

Back