• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Foxes

Pandora1

Warren Scout
Just wanted to share this with you. I brought my bunnies indoors a few weeks ago as the floor in their shed was wet. They live in the conservatory, and so they can get some fresh air and exercise I have put some metal panels from a run around the outside, so it is secure as it is only opened when we are in the house, and they are visible from the living room. However the other night whilst watching tv the outside light came on and I could see something furry (thought it was a cat). It did look too big for a cat. It was an adult fox, right near the metal panels, fortunately the bunnies were not outside. I think I screamed at it and it ran across the garden and into the shrubs. OMG it scared me, thinking what could have happened and how quick it could have happened, and also how close to the house it came. This was about 8.30pm.

It obviously makes you aware that although you dont see them they are there. Also we have a cat and for the past 3 weeks she wont go out, we guessed something has spooked her, now I think we know what ..the fox. Just want to make everyone aware and to be vigilant and make sure your bunnies are secure.

Pandora

Just wanted to share this with you. I brought my bunnies indoors a few weeks ago as the floor in their shed was wet. They live in the conservatory, and so they can get some fresh air and exercise I have put some metal panels from a run around the outside, so it is secure as it is only opened when we are in the house, and they are visible from the living room. However the other night whilst watching tv the outside light came on and I could see something furry (thought it was a cat). It did look too big for a cat. It was an adult fox, right near the metal panels, fortunately the bunnies were not outside. I think I screamed at it and it ran across the garden and into the shrubs. OMG it scared me, thinking what could have happened and how quick it could have happened, and also how close to the house it came. This was about 8.30pm.

It obviously makes you aware that although you dont see them they are there. Also we have a cat and for the past 3 weeks she wont go out, we guessed something has spooked her, now I think we know what ..the fox. Just want to make everyone aware and to be vigilant and make sure your bunnies are secure.

Pandora

Yes, urban Foxes in particular are an ever present danger. They have absolutely no fear at all and they can appear in broad daylight. That's why no Rabbits are safe if left to free range unsupervised.

The first time a person sees a Fox could be the last time they see their Rabbit :cry:

Pandora

Yes it's easy to be lulled into a false sense of security when you don't actually see any for a long time.

I saw a big urban fox walking down our street a few days ago, bold as brass, and never moved off the pavement for people. One lady was even taking photos of it from a few feet away :shock:

I feel it has been a warning to us. Where I live its semi-rural but we have never seen a fox in 17 years until that one.

Pandora

Back