• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Should a Rabbit be Neutered 2 weeks after his Vaccination?

tonibun

Wise Old Thumper
I am just a bit concerned about this with regard to the person whose rabbit has a lump above his eye. Bunny is booked in tomorrow for his neuter.

I'd say that is adequate time to allow the immune system to adjust.
Normally a vets would so the surgery and then vaccinate 3 days later but I assume the lump appeared after the vaccine date?

Personally I wouldn't do any elective procedure for at least 3 weeks after vaccination. The data sheet for the vaccine says it takes 3 weeks for immunity to be established, so I wouldn't want to do anything that might challenge the rabbit's ability to develop that response within that time period. An operation which would divert the rabbit's immune resources to healing a wound and preventing infection could well do that, so personally I wouldn't risk it. Similarly I wouldn't have a vaccination done for at least a couple of weeks after an operation for the same reason.

Personally I wouldn't do any elective procedure for at least 3 weeks after vaccination. The data sheet for the vaccine says it takes 3 weeks for immunity to be established, so I wouldn't want to do anything that might challenge the rabbit's ability to develop that response within that time period. An operation which would divert the rabbit's immune resources to healing a wound and preventing infection could well do that, so personally I wouldn't risk it. Similarly I wouldn't have a vaccination done for at least a couple of weeks after an operation for the same reason.

I agree with this. If there's not a cast iron reason to do the op within three weeks of vaccination, I certainly wouldn't.

I am just a bit concerned about this with regard to the person whose rabbit has a lump above his eye. Bunny is booked in tomorrow for his neuter.

I would not do it, as you say, a full immune response to the vaccine takes 3 weeks to be established. But I know some Vets do do it sooner. Some used to give the single dose Myxo Vaccine at the same time as neutering :shock: Said Vets never got within a mile of any of my Rabbits though !

i used to think not, but i've noticed a few times over the years that our vets (facebook page) have said such and such rabbit was in today for his/her neutering and vaccination/s, so that makes it sound like they were done on the same day :?

Back