• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Insurance - Who are you with?

xGemmaa

Alpha Buck
Hi all,

I'm looking to get my 2 bunnies covered, although they're healthy, and I have money saved for them, I want to be precautious anyway..

I've had a quote from PetPlan for both of mine, works out at £24 a month and £277 per annum for lifetime cover. Does that sound about right?

So, who are you covered with? How much do you pay (If you don't mind answering).

Thank you :)

I'm with petplan, so you mean £24 quote for both bunnies or just one? if both then that's £12 and not to bad, mine gone up as she has ow reached 5years old

I'm on the same as you.
Main reason I'm with PetPlan is because most vets will deal with them directly. Other companies, most vets will flat out refuse to do a direct claim and many will quibble over the amount they'll pay for things like consults, hospitalisation etc.

I went with petplan as both the rescue and the vet recommended them. I'm paying around £24 a month for my 2 buns so sounds exactly the same as your quote, excess is £55. Mine are still young, under a year old.

I have 6 insured with Petplan and 12 insured with Pets at Home.

The most expensive is Esme (nearly 8.) her premium is c £200 a year with an excess of £100 + 20%

My younger bunnies are with Pets at Home and the less-than-one-year-old policies were £80.50 with excess of £75 + 10%.

It varies with the area you live but I've found that PP premiums and excesses have risen steeply as the rabbits have aged whereas P@H haven't. Dinky is 8 and her premium is £94 with excess at £75 and 10%.

I'm with PetPlan for our 2 girls and their joint monthly cost is just shy of £22. Which is excellent considering the number of claims I have made - one year was £1,700 which is only £300 short of the annual maximum, so it hasn't gone up by that much considering!

You can print off the claim form at home rather than having to wait for one to come through the post, fill in the relevant bits and leave it at the vet who will then send it off direct for you - you then have no further dealings with it unless you have to pay the annual excess. You'll eventually get a letter from PetPlan informing you the bill has been settled and how much it was for, which is handy if it is a repeat illness so you can keep an eye on how much you've claimed for that year so far.

I've never had any problems with PetPlan as yet.

I'm with Pets at Home and for each of my bunnies I pay between £6 and £8 a month. It's half the quote Pet Plan gave me, and a very similar amount of cover! I've had to claim for Winston for his bout of stasis and they payed without quibbling. The excess is £75 plus 10% of the cost of treatment, not too bad really. None of my vets deal with any insurance company directly, so I always have to pay upfront and then claim the money back from Pets at Home (unless it was a super expensive trip, e.g. £400 plus, then the vets might deal with the insurance company or wait for payment or something).

I'm with helpucover, I pay just under £20 for 3 rabbits. Haven't had to make a claim. Touch wood! It was very similar to pet plan but cheaper monthly premiums. My vets solely recommend pet plan but thats because they have an advertising deal or whatever it is with them. They will still accept helpucover, p@h or whoever else tho

I'm with Pets at Home and for each of my bunnies I pay between £6 and £8 a month. It's half the quote Pet Plan gave me, and a very similar amount of cover! I've had to claim for Winston for his bout of stasis and they payed without quibbling. The excess is £75 plus 10% of the cost of treatment, not too bad really. None of my vets deal with any insurance company directly, so I always have to pay upfront and then claim the money back from Pets at Home (unless it was a super expensive trip, e.g. £400 plus, then the vets might deal with the insurance company or wait for payment or something).

I disagree that it's a similar amount of cover and it's only £2-£3 less a month than I'm paying with PetPlan anyway, per rabbit.

My excess is £50 and I don't have to pay anything towards treatment.

Even paying an extra £30 per year per rabbit (by paying £10.50 per rabbit per month as opposed to paying say £8 a month) doesn't cover the 10% of treatment. I feel I'm better off with Petplan that I would be with Pets at Home.

Last edited:
I disagree that it's a similar amount of cover and it's only £2-£3 less a month than I'm paying with PetPlan anyway, per rabbit.

Even paying an extra £24 per year per rabbit (by paying £10 per rabbit per month as opposed to paying say £8 a month) doesn't cover the 10% of treatment. I feel I'm better off with Petplan that I would be with Pets at Home.

You might feel differently when they get to 6, 7 and 8+ years old. I moved Rudy when he was just short of his 5th birthday from Pets at Home back to Petplan as a lot of pet insurance companies were stopping trading at that time and Petplan felt safer.

Rudy and Dinky are both 8 years old:

Rudy (Petplan) Premium: £143, excess £80 + 20%
Dinky (P@H) Premium: £94, excess £75 + 10%

The only downside comparing the two for me is that the limit of cover: £2000 with PP and £1500 with P@H but for met P@H win hands down. I've actually found their service better than PP too.

I found rabbit cover limited and chose petplan from the few available. I pay just shy of £22 a month for my pair £55 excess per condition. Insurance is advisable as the vet bills can be rather expensive. I think petplan are the only one that covers dental issues providing they have a dental check yearly. I also have the care plan with pets at home that is £6 for a rabbit and you get vaccs, free nail clip, and discounts every year. Handy to have and really pays for itself.

Last edited:
I found rabbit cover limited and chose petplan from the few available. I pay just shy of £22 a month for my pair £55 excess per condition. Insurance is advisable as the vet bills can be rather expensive. I think petplan are the only one that covers dental issues providing they have a dental check yearly. I also have the care plan with pets at home that is £6 for a rabbit and you get vaccs, free nail clip, and discounts every year. Handy to have and really pays for itself.

I've read that several times before so I've just looked at my Pets at Home policy booklet to check, this is what it says:

"What is covered:

Dental treatment to relieve suffering due to illness or injury provided your rabbit has received an annual dental examination, or a dental examination at the time of the first vaccinations if your rabbit is under 1 year of age....." (£350 of dental cover per year).

I've just made a successful claim for dental treatment for Dinky with P@H.

Last edited:
I honestly from my own experience will always make sure my bunnies are insured... Within 12 months, I spent personally a crazy £4,300 on my two angels! Which we'll probably he paying for the rest of my life! I know each bunny experience is different, but it really is amazing how quick bills can spiral out of control!

By the way I was with petplan with Harvey & couldn't fault them, paid out £2,000 straight away within 9 days after submitting our claim! Xx

Even paying an extra £30 per year per rabbit (by paying £10.50 per rabbit per month as opposed to paying say £8 a month) doesn't cover the 10% of treatment. I feel I'm better off with Petplan that I would be with Pets at Home.

Yes but that is on the basis of definitely having to claim. Also it depends on how much you have to claim. For example I claimed £132 last year once my excess had been taken off, 10% of £132 isn't £30! You would have to claim at least £300 (after the excess has been taken off!) every year per rabbit to break even, let alone make a saving! Sorry if my maths is really off there....just about to go to work!

Pets at home covers dental :)

I struggled finding cover for my conti - I went with PetPlan, it's costs me £12 a month and he's 2

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

I only found 3 UK companies that offered insurance so I went with petplan because the vet recommended them, dealt with them direct and they are quick to sort out claims.

Yes but that is on the basis of definitely having to claim. Also it depends on how much you have to claim. For example I claimed £132 last year once my excess had been taken off, 10% of £132 isn't £30! You would have to claim at least £300 (after the excess has been taken off!) every year per rabbit to break even, let alone make a saving! Sorry if my maths is really off there....just about to go to work!

Pets at home covers dental :)

Of course :)

I've claimed £1,700 last year for Thumper for her colic/stasis, 10% of that is only £170 but I haven't had to pay anything towards it. The maximum claim per year is £2,000 with Petplan.

I'll see what the renewal is in July BUT will have to tread very carefully as she gets colic/stasis a lot - 3 to 4 times a year - so would have to ensure that if I did change, she'd be covered as it's a recurring problem and some insurances won't insure a new rabbit for recurring changes.

But it will certainly be worth bearing in mind, so thank you for the heads up :)

Of course :)

I've claimed £1,700 last year for Thumper for her colic/stasis, 10% of that is only £170 but I haven't had to pay anything towards it. The maximum claim per year is £2,000 with Petplan.

I'll see what the renewal is in July BUT will have to tread very carefully as she gets colic/stasis a lot - 3 to 4 times a year - so would have to ensure that if I did change, she'd be covered as it's a recurring problem and some insurances won't insure a new rabbit for recurring changes.

But it will certainly be worth bearing in mind, so thank you for the heads up :)

You're right about the exclusion on pre-existing conditions. Its always worth calling the insurance company you want to change to and discussing pre-existing conditions. Some will put an exclusion on the condition for a year/two/three and provided it doesn't flare up in that time they will remove the exclusion and start to cover it after that time.

It doesn't happen often as most bunny issues reoccur a lot but you never know!

Back