PDA

View Full Version : Lump in fur

mcpowe
03-01-2016, 06:43 PM
Hi, I adopted my rabbit 4 weeks ago and he has been fine, eating and interacting well. Today I noticed what I first thought was a bit of dirt stuck in his fur, directly above his eyelid. He doesn't mind me touching it and I have bathed it with a cotton ball and some Luke warm water which I boiled first and let cool down. He is a house rabbit so he hasn't been outside and I don't know if this something stuck in his fur or it's a lump. It seems to look brown/black and is a few millimetres in length but is round and hard. It's making a tuft of fur stick up above his eye. I cannot seem to attach a pic but I do have one, any advice would be greatly appreciated. He is 4.5 months old and due to be neutered tomorrow, so I will be attending the vets with him in the morning however I am now really worrying what this is! He's eating and running around as usual. Thank you.

Shimmer
03-01-2016, 06:50 PM
I would ask the vet to check it out tomorrow when you take him in.
Has he been vaccinated?

mcpowe
03-01-2016, 06:53 PM
Yes he was vaccinated two weeks ago. I'm going to ask, I'm just a terrible worrier. I wish I could figure out how to attach a pic of it because I've scrolled through advice and forums for hours and it does not have any of the characteristics or symptoms of usual rabbit issues/diseases.

MightyMax
03-01-2016, 06:54 PM
Hi, I adopted my rabbit 4 weeks ago and he has been fine, eating and interacting well. Today I noticed what I first thought was a bit of dirt stuck in his fur, directly above his eyelid. He doesn't mind me touching it and I have bathed it with a cotton ball and some Luke warm water which I boiled first and let cool down. He is a house rabbit so he hasn't been outside and I don't know if this something stuck in his fur or it's a lump. It seems to look brown/black and is a few millimetres in length but is round and hard. It's making a tuft of fur stick up above his eye. I cannot seem to attach a pic but I do have one, any advice would be greatly appreciated. He is 4.5 months old and due to be neutered tomorrow, so I will be attending the vets with him in the morning however I am now really worrying what this is! He's eating and running around as usual. Thank you.

Hello there and welcome to the Forum :wave:

Did you adopt him from a Rescue? Have you mentioned it to them at all?

I expect the vet will pronounce when you take him in tomorrow. Really difficult to say what it could be .. cyst, abscess, blocked hair follicle ...

Jack's-Jane
03-01-2016, 07:07 PM
Yes he was vaccinated two weeks ago. I'm going to ask, I'm just a terrible worrier. I wish I could figure out how to attach a pic of it because I've scrolled through advice and forums for hours and it does not have any of the characteristics or symptoms of usual rabbit issues/diseases.

As he was vaccinated 2 weeks ago the lump might be a reaction to the vaccine. Occasionally this can happen :

'' In very rare cases the appearance of mild clinical signs of myxomatosis may occur within 3 weeks of vaccination. Recent or latent infection with field myxoma virus seems to play a role in this to a certain extent''

Full details here:

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/MSD_Animal_Health/Nobivac_Myxo-RHD_lyophilisate_and_solvent_for_suspension_for_in jection_for_rabbits/-67996.html

This link is a tutorial of how to upload photos :

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?136183-Tutorial-How-to-Post-Photos

mcpowe
03-01-2016, 07:23 PM
http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah19/Mcpowe/image.jpg1_zpswyfknffk.jpg (http://s1376.photobucket.com/user/Mcpowe/media/image.jpg1_zpswyfknffk.jpg.html)

Thank you both for your advice and help, hoping that link has worked. I was thinking it could be a blocked follicle, in fact I'm just more hoping its a blocked follicle rather than anything sinister!

tonibun
03-01-2016, 09:17 PM
I can't help you with the lump but the vaccine takes 3 weeks to become effective so you don't really want to put him through a neuter at this time.