• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Apache

clutterydrawer

Wise Old Thumper
I’m not sure how to do this special rabbit justice in words but I will try. I volunteered at rescues for a few years so I’ve met hundreds of bunnies but none that came anywhere near him in terms of personality and affection.

I’ve shared a house, and usually a bedroom, with him for 7 ½ years, which is just over a quarter of my entire life. Since he turned up I’ve had five jobs, seven houses, and moved all over the country, and he’s always been there to share to adventure. What’s more, he always seemed to enjoy it – whenever I moved, he’d always bound out of his carrier at the new house and immediately start racing around, jumping on furniture, sniffing everything and generally making himself at home.

He was the cuddliest rabbit I’ve ever met and would often bound up to me and shove his head under my hand to demand nose rubs. He’d climb onto people’s knees, or lie in their arms being fussed and tooth-purring like mad, or come and snuggle up to me while I was reading on the floor. If Skye was eating, he’d put his head under her jaw, so that the chewing motion massaged the top of his head! But he was always a gentleman and after I’d given him his nose rubs he’d almost always spend a minute licking my leg or sleeve to say thankyou. He was also a good, if bossy, companion to his two wives, first my special girl Sorrel, then Skye, who really gained in confidence after bonding with Apache.

He was, shall we say, challenging as a house rabbit, but I wouldn’t change a minute of it. If there was any food in the vicinity, he would find it, and if he went quiet, you could guarantee he was slurping up an elastic band. His life’s mission in my last house was to get behind the fridge. I’m afraid that despite extensive barricades he eventually managed this and ate right through the cable, seemingly without hurting himself! I think his finest achievement of mischief was the night he escaped from his cage, jumped onto the bed, ran up to the top of the duvet and started at my boyfriend until he woke up terrified with a big furry face inches from his own.

He has a big fan club all around the country, particularly my friends and colleagues in London. I was doing a particularly stressful course/job there and most weeks one or other of my coursemates would come round to see the rabbits, particularly Apache as he was so affectionate that they considered him therapeutic! I always had to go over them with a lint roller on the way out though as he was such a fluff monster. When I announced his passing on facebook and immediately had multiple texts from people who’d known him in the past saying how sorry they were. I also remember one time I phoned the vets that I also used for boarding to make an appointment for Skye, and when I gave the nurse my name she immediately said “Oh, you’re Apache’s owner, he is the silliest rabbit ever!”

Apache has been around for so much of my life, and for so many of its important events, that I really struggle to imagine life without him. I will miss seeing his funny face every day. But mostly I feel amazingly lucky to have shared so much time with such a unique spirit, and so grateful that he lived a longish life free of any health problems. He was still frolicking around like a young kit over the last few months, bounding on and off the bed and causing mayhem!

I also want to say thankyou Angie at BARC for bringing him into my life and giving me over seven years during which everything seemed brighter because he was around.

Here is a huge number of photographs. I'm afraid he was so photogenic and got up to so much mischief that it was impossible to cut them down further!

Having his first dinner with Sorrel the day I brought him home:

sorrelandapache007.jpg

In his favourite spot in my first house:
IMG_0370.jpg

IMG_0363.jpg

Playing in a labyrinth:
f.jpg

g.jpg

The day I freaked out and thought he had a weird orange nose disease then remembered he’d been eating grated carrot :roll:
apachecarrotface013.jpg

Playing the didgeridoo with Sorrel:
003.jpg

Cheating on her with a stuffed racoon :shock:
014.jpg

Looking adorable :love:
010.jpg

Playing outside:
018.jpg

Raiding a hay bag I’d forgotten :roll:

011-2.jpg

Lounging with Skye:
013-3.jpg

IMG_1743.jpg

This was the photo I always gave to potential landlords to win them over :lol:
001-9.jpg

018-3.jpg

What I used to see when I arrived home....he loved it in here, I don’t know why.
004-8.jpg

Hiding in a hay bag....again.....
003.jpg

Vandalism:
013-4.jpg

Raiding the herbs that were drying for winter...apparently I hadn’t put them high enough.
009-8.jpg

Having very, very long noserubs from a guest:
Tlounging.jpg

Um, breakfast theft?!
IMG_1535.jpg

Coming for a cuddle:
021-4.jpg

002-10.jpg

009_zpsalwfmqep.jpg

014_zps8pxuo3ow.jpg

Chilling under the bed with Skye :)
IMG_1315_zpscvtnqrme.jpg

And finally, raiding a hay bale...this was just a couple of months ago.
013_zps32gfj418.jpg

A beautiful tribute to Apache, you get a lovely sense of his huge character. I love the photo of him stealing breakfast, of him flopping with his mate, the team work forage theft one...in fact all of them

I am so sorry :cry: A gorgeous rabbit with an amazing character shining out of the pictures.

I remember Apache when he arrived here ... Such a special boy right from the start .
I also want to say thank you ... To you ... For giving him a new start and such a good new life .

Sleep tight Apache xxxx

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What an amazing bun - Apache sounds absolutely delightful :love:

It is so sad to lose these amazing creatures - I am so sorry :cry:

Binky free Apache and try to not cause to much mayhem at the bridge xxx

Very beautiful boy, so sorry Sorrel is gone now, must be hard after sharing a bedroom with him for seven and a half years. Hugs xxx:cry:

Sorry you lost such an amazing character. I hope Skye will feel better soon, too. Loneliness in bunnies is such a hard thing to watch, especially when you're grieving yourself. xxx

Back