• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny Base

xAmandax

New Kit
So, im in the process of decorating the room which me and my buns will be moving into (we're currently stuffed in the spare room which is a little small), they already have 24/7 free access except at bed time and are currently kept in a puppy pen. The only problem I'm finding with the puppy pen is that it takes up a ridiculous amount of space! (they currently have more floor space than I do 😂

I've pretty much sectioned off over half of the room and then have to find somewhere to store all of their toys/food. So the plan with the new move is to switch to a dog crate for their base, that way I can store all of their things on top and have their play toys out in the room instead of the play pen, also the room will be bunny proofed so again, they'll have 24/7 access

The question is, what sort of size should they have as a base and what should be kept in there? E.g. Litter box, toys? Or hideaways?

Also, has anyone had problems with litter training when moving things about? They're both litter trained but when I move rooms will they pick a corner irregardless of where the litter tray is?

It's not a huge room for both me and the buns to share, but I'm hoping that by being clever with the space and planning things out before I move in, I can make it a good living space for both me and the buns! eventually I'm hoping I can build tunnels going around the room and under my bed to make it a play haven for the buns while I'm gone (loving the little forts and tunnels at manor housing!) :)

I would only use 48" dog crates for a base. Anything smaller doesn't fit much in - maybe a small litter tray which will continually lose hay out of the crate mesh. The 48" crate can fit a decent size litter tray in or plastic underbed storage box, a cat carrier as a bed, and it has enough height to put in a shelf. I have a shelf right across the back of one, half the length of the pen and half way up. It allows them enough room to stretch in the open area but is easy to jump up on. A thick piece of ply covered with carpet or vinyl would be ideal. It would need some support along the mesh, but there are various ways of fastening it in place. The rabbits spend more time on the shelf than anywhere else.

In the dogs' crate, I use some kitchen cupboard baskets along one side as toy storage. They could be used just as well for rabbit toys or hay.
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/90072648/

I find it easy to alter the space they are allowed by fastening 4' puppy panels (mine need to be 4'!) on to the crate sides using the biggest version of these that you can find:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Strong-Me...hash=item3f3e633abb:m:mY6TDxNforzhs8KnpbpuK3g

Ah those hanging baskets are perfect! Will have to pick some up when I'm next at IKEA

Do bunnies always have to have a base or if they're free reign would you make do without one? At the moment they go back to their pen at night, but the new room I'm moving to will be completely bunny proofed so not sure if i can just leave them without a dog pen completely??

I'd always say to offer them a base, just so they have somewhere they can go which is a 'safe place'. Not sure if others would agree but I'd always advise it.

If it's a completely bunny proofed room you don't need a base. I just have a few litter trays (one is a big underbed storage box) for hay, an ikea dolls bed, and a water bowl (I use a ceramic bowl so it doesn't get knocked over)

Hmmm, it should be completely bunny proofed, I've been going through all the guides. were fitting the electrics in the room right now and I've requested all of the sockets for the TV and DVD player to be high up so there's no chance of the bunnies even getting near them. Other than that they could chew furniture I suppose, but they've never done it before so hopefully won't start now 😅

http://www.manorpethousing.co.uk/bunny-manor-2

I suppose if I don't get a dog crate for them I could always just get them a bunny manor to relax in away from people (any excuse to start getting little forts for them! Haha)

I'll have to measure everything out once the furnitures in and look through setups that everyone else has got! Thanks for the advice ☺️

Back