• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

pet plan insurance when your bun reaches 5years old

mini lop1

Wise Old Thumper
for those on pet plan whose bun has reached 5 years old, what excess did they pay before? and then when they reached 5years old what was it put up to, also what increase in monthly payments did they add on

Ive just got my renewal for Olly, who turned 5 in August... His excess was £75, it has just gone up to £90... :shock:

Ive just got my renewal for Olly, who turned 5 in August... His excess was £75, it has just gone up to £90... :shock:

thanks mabels was also £75 just got hers in post today it gone up to £95 :shock:

and monthly payments is £14.18 now was £12.74 last year

Last edited:
Do you also have to pay a percentage of the vet bill. I know I cancelled it for my two as it shot up so much, and opened a savings account.

Do you also have to pay a percentage of the vet bill. I know I cancelled it for my two as it shot up so much, and opened a savings account.

its the excess amount I know some people have percentage added on to which I never understood, so this year for a treatment it will be £95 and not £75 then if ongoing covered up to £2000

They will often increase it all once they reach geriatric age.
Its normally an increase in the excess + 20% of final bill.
I've never known them to increase the monthly payments.

Always call them before you start making payments for the new amount and you can often get it decreased a little (you can always call your vets for advice on what to say).

Sadly its because once they reach this age they are more likely to need things done. If they've had very little done, or nothing done previous its definitely worth pushing to get them to reduce it.

They will often increase it all once they reach geriatric age.
Its normally an increase in the excess + 20% of final bill.
I've never known them to increase the monthly payments.

Always call them before you start making payments for the new amount and you can often get it decreased a little (you can always call your vets for advice on what to say).

Sadly its because once they reach this age they are more likely to need things done. If they've had very little done, or nothing done previous its definitely worth pushing to get them to reduce it.

I take your point, and I've had rabbits who have been insured with PetPlan, other places, and not at all .. Conversely to what you say, though, my experience is that if rabbits are good hardy sorts, they can go on way past 5 and be healthy many years. I find the 'weaknesses' (abscesses. E.C., head tilt, etc) show up much earlier, and I then know who the 'problem children' will be, as it were.

I can then choose whether to keep them/get them insured or not. If that makes sense!

I take your point, and I've had rabbits who have been insured with PetPlan, other places, and not at all .. Conversely to what you say, though, my experience is that if rabbits are good hardy sorts, they can go on way past 5 and be healthy many years. I find the 'weaknesses' (abscesses. E.C., head tilt, etc) show up much earlier, and I then know who the 'problem children' will be, as it were.

I can then choose whether to keep them/get them insured or not. If that makes sense!

Makes perfect sense.
I'm just putting it how the insurance company would see it though.

Insurance companies expect older pets to need more upkeep than a younger one (which as many of us know 9/10 isn't the case with rabbits). But with pets like cats they are likely to start showing signs of CKD, hyperthyroidism etc so they apply the same precautions on the policy with a rabbit as they would for cats/dogs.
=]

Last edited:
We've just got our renewal for Rupert and Tia and the excess is £80 for veterinary fees and £50 for complementary fees - I think it was £75 before.
The payments have gone up £3.30 a month, I was going to ring up and try and lower them but i'm not going to, just tried to get a new policy and can't because they're over 5 so i'll just keep it as it is :)

Last edited:
We've just got our renewal for Rupert and Tia and the excess is £80 for veterinary fees and £50 for complementary fees - I think it was £75 before.
The payments have gone up £3.30 a month, I was going to ring up and try and lower them but i'm not going to, just tried to get a new policy and can't because they're over 5 so i'll just keep it as it is :)

Still worth a call. You may not get anywhere but if they put your monthly cost back down its worth it surely?

mabels excess is higher then most peoples so far, wonder If its because claims where made last year? at the moment I have something ongoing which they need to settle as they made payments in past then said last claim was not same as previous when it was all ongoing, had to get vet to email them, I'm still awaiting the outcome :(

I'll let you know in July which is when the renewal is due and they turn 5 in May so we'll see! Actually, I do compare the renewal when it comes through anyway so it will be interesting to see what happens. I shall continue with the insurance anyway because last year we claimed £1,700 on the insurance for Thumper which we couldn't have afforded, so will keep it up anyway. Putting money aside each month isn't the same. £30 a month, for example, is only £360 a year which is nowhere near what Thumper's bills came to and we don't have that kind of money lying around.

Still worth a call. You may not get anywhere but if they put your monthly cost back down its worth it surely?

I'm paranoid that they'll bump it up more next year tho - I seen on watchdog that a pet insurance company (can't remember which one) put the payments up stupidly to basically force the lady to cancel. I know I'm probably being paranoid tho.

mabels excess is higher then most peoples so far, wonder If its because claims where made last year? at the moment I have something ongoing which they need to settle as they made payments in past then said last claim was not same as previous when it was all ongoing, had to get vet to email them, I'm still awaiting the outcome :(

It may well be - we've only made one claim and that's when our excess went up to £75.

I'm paranoid that they'll bump it up more next year tho - I seen on watchdog that a pet insurance company (can't remember which one) put the payments up stupidly to basically force the lady to cancel. I know I'm probably being paranoid tho.

I think I know which company you mean. (They're being watched still to monitor for things like this).

Don't worry about calling them, they get it on a daily basis. Sometimes you'll get somewhere, other times you wont.
If you do get somewhere they may try to raise it again next year (the same as this time), but if that's the case and you haven't claimed, just call them again. =]

Back