• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Your rabbits favourite hay brands/varieties

Jasperello

Warren Scout
Just wondering what everyone's bunnies (& their owners!) favourite Timothy hay is..

I currently only shop at p@h and kennel gate because that's whats near to me and our bunnies favourite is Woodlands TH with Apple & carrot. They are all pretty good hay eaters but I'm wondering what other brands & types I could try them with, if I could buy it online?

Hi

I must have spent over £100 (in about 2 months!) trying to find the right hay for my rabbits, that being one that they like and will eat! (I did get some of the 2013 timothyhay.co.uk but my rabbits went off it very quickly and I now give it to my gerbils to chop up and they love it lol!) Then, one day I got talking to a lady in P@H and she told me about this hay ...

http://groceries.asda.com/asda-webstore/landing/home.shtml#!product/910000331039

...which she buys from Sainsbury's and which her rabbits love! I hot-footed it to Sainsbury's across the road and my rabbits LOVE IT even though they are VERY fussy!

Jo
x

P.S. Just looked at that link properly and it's miles cheaper than Sainsbury's! They charge something like £2.20 per 1kg bag! :evil::evil::evil:

Last edited:
My girls like the one you get from P@H (Woodland TH apple/carrot)
We've got them some TH which has been imported from the USA (no brand name) but they have gone off that very quickly!

At the moment they are going mad for a very cheap hay from my work (£4 for around 3/4kgs worth).

For treats they love timothy hay and green oat...but for their bulk, 'everyday' hay I just get farm bales and they seem to enjoy it as much as any of the expensive stuff. :)

Like Jo I also use the hay that can be brought from Asda and two of mine seem to enjoy it however they really aren't fussy with hay. My other bunny on the other hand, I still have yet to find hay that he will eat lots of (more than 3-4 mouthfuls in his case!) He will eat more of Burgess, chamomile hay than normal hay so he only really has that now, although he still isn't eating nearly as much as he needs to. I have ordered some readigrass for him though as lots of people have had success stories with it so I'll have to wait and see haha.

So far I've only tried them with half or quarter farm bales, the dandelion & marigold one from B&M and the excel herbage packs I got on an Amazon deal - they eat them all, although they aren't particularly fussed over the baled hay I bought recently so I'll go back to the original supplier for the next lot. I use baled hay in their litterbox and put a mix of them all in their hay feeder but I'm finding that the excel packs have quite short strands so fall through the feeder quite easily. I'm going to try out a few different hays for them so will watch this thread with interest.

Mine will eat any hay & are happy enough on baled hay. I ran out yesterday so picked up a couple of bags as sold at Asda /Sainsburys & it does smell sweet

Mine will eat any hay & are happy enough on baled hay. I ran out yesterday so picked up a couple of bags as sold at Asda /Sainsburys & it does smell sweet

I also buy farm hay, asda hay, Burgess hay... it's taken us ( me and the Buns ) a while to come to a mutual agreement that Hay is best...
My Buns, Forest and Fern, pretend they're not so bothered when I deliver it to them. But, tried and tested 'secret spying' on them shows me they are rarely Not working on a strand, or nosing through it for the best bits.. unless they're sleeping or busy elsewise X

the only one bisc will eat the most of now is the 2013 batch from timothyhay.co.uk - he always has other hays offered to him but isn't that fussed.

the piggies on the other hand have a mix of the following.. so far! (bisc will be offered all these aswell but is fussy with his hay)

- timothyhay.co.uk
- hay forpets ings
- hay for pets meadow
- oxbow orchard grass
- oxbow western timothy
- comfey meadow hay
- zooplus hay bale

:)

My bunnies are just like my cat and are very fussy.

They LOVE

Home friend Peppermint & Rosehip & Also the Chamomile one too - Only found it at Just 4 Pets so far.
Dandelion & Marigold hay from BnM
And also really like the Apple and dandelion meadow hay from Zoo Plus.

I get my hay from my local farmer, he has everything so we are on good terms so we get a mixed batch of everything :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

she now has expensive tastes since introduced to oxbow orchard grass, along with her timothy hay, she often turns her nose to meadow hay now its not good enough lol

she now has expensive tastes since introduced to oxbow orchard grass, along with her timothy hay, she often turns her nose to meadow hay now its not good enough lol

Wish mine would turn down the meadow hay and eat their timothy! I've got a big box of it which I can't shift because they won't touch it anymore. Think they ate it for two days... I'm going to send it to a local rescue at the end of the week.

Mine all love timothy hay from timothy hay.co.uk, so they all get a hand full every night (which eddie will often choose over his tea time pellets) and unlimited meadow hay from a local farm shop which we buy in bales. Inara is also a big fan of hay cookies. None are hugely bothered by excel herbage, and Eddie used to adore camomile hay but they haven't had that in a while.

I buy mostly bales of meadow hay from a local equestrian shop. Mine all seem quite content on it. They get Burgess as a treat though.

Back