• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A question for those with more than one or two rabbits.....

NewBunnyFan

Warren Scout
Does anyone have more than one set of rabbits as indoor rabbits? If so how does it work logistically?
My pair live under the stairs and tend to stay there until after 8-9 o' clock in the evening once my children have gone to bed (and it's quiet!)
I've been asked if I could take on a friend of a friends rabbits as she is moving to a new house where the landlord does not except pets.
I would really like to help and would be happy to but is it possible to allow different 'sets' of rabbits to have access to our living room at different times? Would they be able to share the equipment? Is there a chance their bunnies bonds might break if they smell or see another rabbit in the room (even if in a pen?)

Sorry if I'm asking stupid questions but obviously don't want to say I'll help and risk upsetting my 2!!! I don't really want to put any outside as there is foxes who live behind my house and would worry they would get hurt!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We have seven indoors at present - since the latest two arrived they have sorted themselves into diferent areas.

To explain - we have a conservatory that has double doors to the kitchen/diner that then connects to hallway and living room.

Four live in the conservatory (door opens onto kitchen/diner and is open all the time but surface not great for buns in kitchen at present).

These include two disabled buns who would not really be able to wander around easily anyway so are free range in conservatory.

Two buns who are not disabled tend to stay in conservatory as well - though one has started to wander through to living room at about 9ish each eve and stay the night (its warmer in there!!).

One bun is totally free ranging and spend time in conservatpry in day, living room afternoon and eve and comes up to bed with us at night. He tends to go up there before us (10.30pm) and come down about 8am.

Two newer buns have decided to spend most of time in living room but also nip into kitchen for a change and occasionally go in conservatory - though as they are 'new kids on the block' they are low in the pecking order in there.

we have poo trays in each room with buns in.

It works . . but dont ask me how!!

PS they are a mix of males and females - all neutered.

Wow!!! I love the idea of your house and all those bunnies!! I bet it's great fun!!

So, do they interact with each other and use each other's trays/toys etc with no problems? how many of them are officially 'bonded together?' Sorry for the silly questions xx

Although sometimes bunnies can just 'get on' in the same house if they are free range, most of the time it is much better to bond them first so that the risk of fights is reduced. It will also make play time more enjoyable if they look forward to seeing each other and get on with each other rather than stressing them out and making play time un-enjoyable as a result. The bond of your first two is also more likely to be broken if you don't bond them all first two as they won't have a chance to establish a proper hierarchy between them.

So, although they would possibly be fine just roaming around without being bonded, I personally wouldn't take the risk. I hope that helps:)

We have 9 indoors and lots of baby gates!

A trio live free range in the lounge. Clem lives free range in our bedroom. Margaret lives in the back bedroom. Once neutered hopefully they will be bonded and have double the space.

Frail old Moth has under the stairs with a pen out into the dining room. He barely moves bless him.

We have three little nethies all single and either old or disabled in 6ft cages and each of those take it in turns through the day to have time out to free range in the dining room/ kitchen and Myrtle often potters into the bathroom too :)

Last edited:
I have three rabbits, two are bonded and the other is single. They all live outdoors and at the moment i'm alternating the runs they have access to so that they all get a chance to have fresh grass etc so they have to share space. However, I've found that the females get quite territorial so my bonded female will chase my male and nip him and my single female will mark her territory alot when they can smell that the other one was there just before them - you don't really want them pooping and peeing all over your house if yours react in the same way!
If you're going to have them using the same rooms at different times then I would be a little worried about how the scent of other rabbits would affect their bonds. The baby gate idea is probably best so each pair have their own territory. Might you try bonding them into a quad?

Thank you all so much for your replies, there is lots to think about and my main worry is upsetting my current 2 rabbits....especially their bond!!
I'd love to bond them as a quad but if I'm to be honest I would not have a clue how to do it and where to start.
I think I might consider rearranging the conservatory to make that their home......the children don't need the football table surely.....:D
Thank you again!! X

I would love to have 1 or 2 more rabbits so it's interesting to read this thread. We don't have a spare bedroom, my boys share a room as it is, so the only other options for me would be to use the utility room with access to the kitchen, keep them outside or attempt to bond.

My worry with the utility room is that the washing machine and tumble drier are in there, would I be able to have rabbits in there?

I would love to have 1 or 2 more rabbits so it's interesting to read this thread. We don't have a spare bedroom, my boys share a room as it is, so the only other options for me would be to use the utility room with access to the kitchen, keep them outside or attempt to bond.

My worry with the utility room is that the washing machine and tumble drier are in there, would I be able to have rabbits in there?
The tumble drier could possibly make the room very warm and cause the rabbits to over heat. We have our tumble drier in the kitchen and I hate going in there while it's on as it gets so hot that it makes me feel ill, so it could be potentially dangerous to rabbits. My rule with rabbits is if I'm hot then they must be hot too and it's a good rule to follow.

Yes it does get hot if the door is closed and I don't open the window, that's what has put me off having rabbits in there. That said, my living room can get quite warm if the heating is on and the door closed yet my 2 still like to sit by the radiator :lol:

The utility room might be an option to move them to temporarily for a few hours if my mum is coming to visit (kids birthdays etc) but I don't think I'd put rabbits in there permanently. My daughter wants me to convert the garage and have a door made from the house directly into the garage so we can house rabbits in there, would be nice to have the money to just do that!

I have 5. 4 outdoor bunnies, in two different hutch/run networks. Lelantos is a youngster and currently indoors until he has been neutered/vaccinated and it's warm enough for him to go outside.

The intention is to bond all five together and then have a network running around the garden for the lot of them.

Back