• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wish theyd go inside.

hoppetylop

Mama Doe
Im watching my outdoor buns in their run outside today, (its sheltered from the rain and wind but the atmos is so damp)and wishing theyd go in their warm cosy playhouse with vet bed on the floor and warm shelters with hay and straw but no.This is my first winter with an outdoor pair and its taking some getting used to.:roll:
Its supposed to be freezing tonight here.I REALLY want to shut them inside for the night but I know that's not fair on them.

Grrr go inside little ones!

Wait until they sit there, supposedly dripping wet, and give you THAT look. It's only so you go outside and give them treats, it's not because they need it! Freezing's not a problem: that's the MINIMUM air temperature, not the ground or sheltered temperature :) Where they are it'll probably be about 4 or 5: they aren't as daft as they look/act/try to be ;P

Aww thanks for the reassurance :thumb:

They are fine I know but why do they sit on the cold concrete when its warm and dry inside.I will never understand bunnies as long as I live.;)

Mine are just the same. They have 2 places stuffed full of straw but they only seem to put it out and sit/lay on it. Not use it to snuggle in. Bunnies !!!

Hi

My aim is to make sure all my animals (beloved dog, beautiful cat, 2 gorgeous bunns and 2 sweet gerbils) are as happy and comfortable as possible so I do understand how you feel.

I don't know if this will give you any ideas, but my rabbits have a run on the grass connected via a tunnel to their shed so they can come and go as they please, even through the night if they want to. I cover most of the run (top and sides) with sheets of tarpaulin (from the Pound shop) and a thick waterproof sheet of plastic doubled over on the top. They have one half of one side of the run uncovered (it's 7ft long) to look out onto the garden (which is where they sit snoozing mostly) with the plastic overhanging a bit to stop the rain getting in. On the base they have children's playmats joined together and then a VERY deep layer of hay over the whole base. I add fresh hay every day in the places where they tend to snooze so they can snack on the hay as they lay there. Overall they look very comfy and cosy even when it's cold. I worried about them sitting outside to start off with when it was cold (when they were just on the grass), but have gradually built up to the above over the past month or so and I don't worry so much now. I have to remember they have a rabbit fur coat on lol and they also cuddle up to each other, and they never look cold. They also have lots to eat on hand and are able to run about in the garden when they please and I think this helps them to keep warm too.

(At night-time I do cover the entire run so the damp can't get in so well.)

Jo
x

Last edited:
Hi

My aim is to make sure all my animals (beloved dog, beautiful cat, 2 gorgeous bunns and 2 sweet gerbils) are as happy and comfortable as possible so I do understand how you feel.

I don't know if this will give you any ideas, but my rabbits have a run on the grass connected via a tunnel to their shed so they can come and go as they please, even through the night if they want to. I cover most of the run (top and sides) with sheets of tarpaulin (from the Pound shop) and a thick waterproof sheet of plastic doubled over on the top. They have one half of one side of the run uncovered (it's 7ft long) to look out onto the garden (which is where they sit snoozing mostly) with the plastic overhanging a bit to stop the rain getting in. On the base they have children's playmats joined together and then a VERY deep layer of hay over the whole base. I add fresh hay every day in the places where they tend to snooze so they can snack on the hay as they lay there. Overall they look very comfy and cosy even when it's cold. I worried about them sitting outside to start off with when it was cold (when they were just on the grass), but have gradually built up to the above over the past month or so and I don't worry so much now. I have to remember they have a rabbit fur coat on lol and they also cuddle up to each other, and they never look cold. They also have lots to eat on hand and are able to run about in the garden when they please and I think this helps them to keep warm too.

(At night-time I do cover the entire run so the damp can't get in so well.)

Jo
x
Thankyou for this:)My buns have access all the time via their tunnel too and their run is always covered.I really like your flooring ideas and will look into doing that for the winter.Sounds like the run is very cosy which is what im looking to achieve.:)

Back