• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Another death

Calathea

Young Bun
In October my partner and I got two mini lop brothers, Alfie and Thor. They were nine weeks old but about a week after getting them Thor didn't seem right. He was hunched up and uninterested in everything. We took him to the vets and although initially he improved a few days later (while hospitalised) he went rapidly down hill and passed away. 10 weeks. That's all he lived for. It was absolutely heartbreaking.

A few weeks later we got a French lop female that we hoped to bond with Alfie in the future. They got on great, seemed to be love at first sight and although they didn't spend much time together (no babies wanted!!) it seemed that bonding would be a breeze.

Two days ago I went into see Freya, the French lop and she was fine, asking to come out, eating, pooping etc all fine. Four hours later we found her collapsed, unable to stand and weak. I grabbed a towel, my partner rang the vets and 15 minutes later we were with the on call exotics vet. As soon as he picked her up he said she was underweight. She hardly responded to painful stimuli and if he splayed her legs she didn't bother putting them back. Our first thought was that she had somehow injured her spine so he x-rayed her but they came back fine. He put her on a drip and tried to get blood but her veins were collapsing under any kind of pressure. He said he'd keep her in over night, give her fluids, gut stimulants (her gut sounds were slow/quiet) and critical care food and try to get bloods again in the morning. So at 8pm we left her there.

At half 10 the vet rings us to tell us that she had had two 5 second long seizures in the last 10 minutes. While on the phone to him she had two more. She was showing other neurological symptoms as well, a head tilt and her eyes were flicking backwards and forwards (can't remember the proper name for that). The vet said that the prognosis wasn't good and that she would almost certainly die very soon. My partner and I chose to have her put to sleep immediately. We couldn't face going and seeing her. We wanted to remember our confident, happy, big floppy eared binkying girl.

The vet is unsure as to what the actual illness was, it's possible it was the new strain of VHD as by the morning blood had come out of her nose which the vet said meant that there was blood in her lungs when she died. It could also be EC or something else. We chose not to have any tests done as it would have been very expensive and nothing could bring her back.

So now, yet again, my partner and I are heart broken and Alfie is on his own. What are we doing wrong...? I feel like I'm killing our rabbits. Thor was 10 weeks, Freya only 16 weeks. I'm now constantly worried about Alfie, watching his every move, examining every poo. Every time he grinds his teeth or hunches up a bit I think he's in pain and that something is wrong.

The stress of owning rabbits is unbelievable. My vet said that I have just been incredibly unlucky, that I'm caring for them very well and I couldn't have done anything differently.

I don't know when or even if I'll be able to face getting another rabbit to be with Alfie. I don't know how I would cope with another baby rabbit passing away.

I can't help but blame myself for their deaths. So many what-ifs are going through my mind :(

Aaw, I really feel for you, but honestly the vet is right and there was nothing you did wrong, nothing you could have done differently, you have been incredibly unlucky! Could you bring Alfie indoors to be a house rabbit, that's what we did when there was only Benji left, we didn't want any more rabbits so couldnt bond him, he is a very happy bunny and has bonded with us instead of another bun!

Aaw, I really feel for you, but honestly the vet is right and there was nothing you did wrong, nothing you could have done differently, you have been incredibly unlucky! Could you bring Alfie indoors to be a house rabbit, that's what we did when there was only Benji left, we didn't want any more rabbits so couldnt bond him, he is a very happy bunny and has bonded with us instead of another bun!

Thank you. It's just so hard to accept that I couldn't have done something differently. I know logically I couldn't, but it's hard.

Alf is a house rabbit thankfully otherwise we would have brought him in like you did with Benji (I had a bun called that when I was a kid!). He has the spare bedroom to himself but I've had him out and with me all the time that I'm home since she died. He follows me around everywhere upstairs. I spend a lot of time at the computer which is upstairs so he's got company a lot. I need to bunny proof the rest of the house so that he can come down stairs and that with us.

I wish we could have him free ranging 24/7 but we have two house cats and although they don't bother with him when he's out I'd worry about them being together when no one is home or when we're asleep. At the moment he's shut in the spare bedroom at night and when we're out. He seems OK but he's bound to be lonely. I haven't seen him binky since his brother died.

What an awful time you have had, I am so sorry :cry:

As you know, without a Post Mortem it is impossible to know for sure what caused the tragic deaths. As your Vet suggested, EC is one possibility. Given that Freya was underweight that could point toward Hepatic Coccidiosis. Intestinal Coccidiosis is usually more likely in very young Rabbits, but the Hepatic form can also occur. With Hepatic Coccidiosis Liver failure can result and end stage liver failure can cause neurological symptoms including seizures.

Has the Vet suggested any precautionary treatment for Alfie ? Maybe a full course of Panacur ? The Vet may think precautionary treatment for Coccidiosis might be advisable too.

I can imagine that you are now very anxious about Alfie, that is completely understandable. I hope that he will remain fit and well xx

What an awful time you have had, I am so sorry :cry:

As you know, without a Post Mortem it is impossible to know for sure what caused the tragic deaths. As your Vet suggested, EC is one possibility. Given that Freya was underweight that could point toward Hepatic Coccidiosis. Intestinal Coccidiosis is usually more likely in very young Rabbits, but the Hepatic form can also occur. With Hepatic Coccidiosis Liver failure can result and end stage liver failure can cause neurological symptoms including seizures.

Has the Vet suggested any precautionary treatment for Alfie ? Maybe a full course of Panacur ? The Vet may think precautionary treatment for Coccidiosis might be advisable too.

I can imagine that you are now very anxious about Alfie, that is completely understandable. I hope that he will remain fit and well xx

Thank you. Those were illnesses that he mentioned as well.

He didn't say anything about treating Alfie although I am taking him in on Monday for a general check up because I'm so paranoid about him. When Thor passed away from suspected EC Alfie was at the vets with him the entire time and they put him on a full course of Panacur straight away then which we finished at home. He didn't have any symptoms but it's possible that he was a carrier. He's eating, drinking, peeing, pooping (although on the small side over night and today) and behaving normally. He's bright as a button, cheeky as ever and eating anything and everything he can. I've given him some Fiberplex because of the small poos and did try to get him into the vets today but because of the new year they don't have anything available until Monday. If anything changes I will be taking him in to see the emergency on call exotics vet though.

Aaw, wasn't sure where he was living, but at least he is inside with you and has lots of company. Benji doesn't seem bothered about being an only bun, he does binkies but only when he goes outside! I know how you feel, we had to have Scarlett (Benji's partner) put to sleep nearly 2 years ago now, I think you just feel guilty because you had to make a really hard decision to pts, even though you know it was the best decision for your bunny it's still hard to accept, but time is a great healer. I asked my vet only a few months ago did she think I had done the right thing by Scarlett and she said I definitely had, I knew I had, but just had to hear it again from my vet!

I'm so very sorry to hear of all your sad experiences. It's devastating :cry:

Without a post mortem it's impossible to guess at what happened. Even with one, it's not always clear. There are so many things it could have been, and some would be completely unexpected and there's nothing you or anyone could have done.

Your vet seems on the ball, and when you take Alfie in on Monday you can express all your concerns and see what he says about treatment. There are other treatments for E.C. which may work better than Panacur, if he thinks E.C. may have played a part. In my experience E.C. is only one of many factors in these things, and often not the main player.

Sending vibes for you, and for a very fit and well Alfie :)

Thank you. Those were illnesses that he mentioned as well.

He didn't say anything about treating Alfie although I am taking him in on Monday for a general check up because I'm so paranoid about him. When Thor passed away from suspected EC Alfie was at the vets with him the entire time and they put him on a full course of Panacur straight away then which we finished at home. He didn't have any symptoms but it's possible that he was a carrier. He's eating, drinking, peeing, pooping (although on the small side over night and today) and behaving normally. He's bright as a button, cheeky as ever and eating anything and everything he can. I've given him some Fiberplex because of the small poos and did try to get him into the vets today but because of the new year they don't have anything available until Monday. If anything changes I will be taking him in to see the emergency on call exotics vet though.

You are clearly doing everything possible for Alfie and as I said, hopefully he will remain absolutely fine xx

I'm sorry for your loss, it's hard coping with inexplicable deaths and it's quite natural to blame yourself/ think of the what ifs. I'm sure that you cared for your rabbits well and that it's likely that you've been incredibly unlucky. I'm sure Alfie will be fine and I hope the feelings of anxiety over Alfie will subside. x

I'm so sorry for your losses - its awful when they go suddenly and as rabbits conceal illnesses so well, it's often impossible to know there's anything wrong until it's far too late. :( please don't feel guilty, even a brief scan through threads on here will show you how often this kind of thing happens despite the best possible care. Rabbits are sadly just fragile and unpredictable. :(

I hope in time you feel able to take on another companion for Alfie and that your luck changes. xx

I'm so sorry to hear of your terrible luck. =[

We can all tell its nothing you have done as you give your bunnies everything they need.

Maybe you could wait until Alfie has been neutered before getting another bunny from a rescue centre? This way your new bun will already be neutered, a little older and would have had a full examination before you take her home. (You could also rescue a young bun, but maybe a slightly older one (6 months or so) would help put your mind at rest)

I'm so sorry to hear of your terrible luck. =[

We can all tell its nothing you have done as you give your bunnies everything they need.

Maybe you could wait until Alfie has been neutered before getting another bunny from a rescue centre? This way your new bun will already be neutered, a little older and would have had a full examination before you take her home. (You could also rescue a young bun, but maybe a slightly older one (6 months or so) would help put your mind at rest)

We will be waiting until well after he's neutered now and we may well end up rescuing, certainly as he'll be older by that point. I'm friends with the local RSPCA officer and she knows we will probably eventually be looking for a female bun for Alfie and will let me know if/when they get any in.

The day after we got Freya we took her to our exotics vet for a health check and everything seemed fine then. Strong heart beat, good gut sounds, great teeth etc.

Aflie seems OK, he had a few small poos so he's been getting Fibaplex and will be going to the vets on Monday but his poos are back to normal so I imagine the small poos were down to the stress/grief/confusion of losing Freya. He seems happy now though, charging about the place and back to his old mischief. The little monkey has just peed on me for the first time... Thanks little man! On Monday he'll be getting his claws clipped and we will be booking him in for his neuter.

Oh no, so sorry to read this (bit late I know)
As everyone else has said, I'm sure you did nothing wrong. Sending big hugs xxx

Back