• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Depocillin shortage

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
My vets have just told me that MSD now have a depocillin shortage!

They have been trying to get me a bottle since before Christmas but with no luck :(

Ask them if it's just veterinary. They should be able to get a pharmacy to dispense human meds if the veterinary product isn't available. That should be covered by the EU cascade.

They have ordered me duphapen now. Should get it Saturday.

But how far has the infection spread in ten days or more of waiting! :(

So another vet has just told me they can't get hold of duphapen :( so if that doesn't turn up we will be in trouble and I will probably end up with one dead rabbit :(

We have been given penstrep recently (Xmas eve) so I know that our vet had some then. Have you tried them? 01223 249331.

We use Crystapen for our dental abscesses- it's a cephalosporin (or however that's spelt) and we use it instead of Depocillin. It's a daily injection.

We have been given penstrep recently (Xmas eve) so I know that our vet had some then. Have you tried them? 01223 249331.

Me too - I have a full bottle in my fridge .. And a bottle of Duphapen Forte, as it happens. It must be available somewhere if your vet can ring around (or if you can?)

We use Crystapen for our dental abscesses- it's a cephalosporin (or however that's spelt) and we use it instead of Depocillin. It's a daily injection.

I've known of Cephalosporins used for dental abscesses, but never used it for that myself. Have you used it with success multiple times, Sky-O?

I've known of Cephalosporins used for dental abscesses, but never used it for that myself. Have you used it with success multiple times, Sky-O?

Three sets of dental bunnies (plus another bunny I know) and also head tilt (he's now upright). Bunnies have all been on other combos first (with the exception of one) and it's been last line and has been reliably effective.

May not be helpful, but Nena has gone through 3 bottles of ceporex now for her jaw abscess and it has been effective in keeping growth at bay. It's also a cephalosporin and we're using it to combat pseudomonas bacteria specifically.

So now apparently duphapen has been discontinued and we still can't get depocillin :(

I'm half way through a 12 week course so this is really bad.

One of my rabbits was on duphapen for abscess treatment and that ran out while he was on the course. My vet managed to get hold of norocillin (sp?) and we finished off with that. If your vet is unable to get hold of penicillin, if it would help, I could contact my vet and enquire where she got hold of the norocillin. Unfortunately I won't get a reply today as they close early on Thursdays.

One of my rabbits was on duphapen for abscess treatment and that ran out while he was on the course. My vet managed to get hold of norocillin (sp?) and we finished off with that. If your vet is unable to get hold of penicillin, if it would help, I could contact my vet and enquire where she got hold of the norocillin. Unfortunately I won't get a reply today as they close early on Thursdays.

Thanks, that's a great help :) I can let my vet know and see if they think it's suitable x

Back