• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What would you do?

tashakatie

Young Bun
Tomorrow little Frank is going to be castrated. :-(
I work as a veterinary care assistant at the vets where he will be having the procedure. Now I have seen probably hundreds of rabbit castrates and almost 100% go well with no problems. I trust the vets I work with fully and know they will do their absolute best with him.

I feel silly being so worried about a routine procedure that I've seen so many times- but it's my little Frank and I'm a nervous bunny mum what can I say haha.
I don't know if I should watch the procedure or stay completely out of the way- what would you do?
I guess I just want reassuring that he'll be okay but I know no one can promise that with anaesthetic risks.

Fingers crossed for tomorrow!!

Tomorrow little Frank is going to be castrated. :-(
I work as a veterinary care assistant at the vets where he will be having the procedure. Now I have seen probably hundreds of rabbit castrates and almost 100% go well with no problems. I trust the vets I work with fully and know they will do their absolute best with him.

I feel silly being so worried about a routine procedure that I've seen so many times- but it's my little Frank and I'm a nervous bunny mum what can I say haha.
I don't know if I should watch the procedure or stay completely out of the way- what would you do?
I guess I just want reassuring that he'll be okay but I know no one can promise that with anaesthetic risks.

Fingers crossed for tomorrow!!

If it were my little one, I would stay well away :D

Vibes for little Frank's neuter tomorrow! x

I think if it were me it would depend on my relationship with the vet involved in the procedure and what he/she thought about me observing. If I had a very good working relationship with the vet and he/she was perfectly happy for me to be there, I would actually prefer to be there. Not in any way to check that the procedure was being done correctly, but firstly because I would be interested and secondly because it would enable me to worry less afterwards. I think you need to do what you think is right for you. Sending lots of vibes for Frank for tmw.

Its natural to be nervous when its your own. I wouldn't do anyone any favours by being there (though I'd be interested in seeing the procedure on a bunny I didn't know). Nice that you'll be in the proximity. I hope all goes well

I think if it were me it would depend on my relationship with the vet involved in the procedure and what he/she thought about me observing. If I had a very good working relationship with the vet and he/she was perfectly happy for me to be there, I would actually prefer to be there. Not in any way to check that the procedure was being done correctly, but firstly because I would be interested and secondly because it would enable me to worry less afterwards. I think you need to do what you think is right for you. Sending lots of vibes for Frank for tmw.

I agree

I have remained with quite a few of my Rabbits whilst my Vet has operated on them, including a hind limb amputation.

Hope Frank will make a speedy recovery from his op' xx

I hope you manage to decide what you want to do.

As I was a vet nurse, I done the anaesthetic for my animals as if something did go wrong with the GA I didn't want to blame anyone else. I know it wouldn't have been their fault but maybe they didn't do everything they could have. (I trusted all the nurses and vets I worked with 100%).

You could stay there, but keep yourself busy doing something else so you're away from the operation room. You can help during recovery, which is when he'll be more likely to need your support.

Thankyou- such a bundle of nerves I feel so silly.
Thankyou for the vibes!

Aaww you're so welcome!

I have assisted the vet at the Rescue Centre with procedures on rabbits, but putting myself into your shoes tomorrow, I felt it would worry you to bits to be there.

Whatever you decide, I hope all goes swimmingly well :D

Thankyou to everyone for the good wishes! Franks castrate went absolutely fine he's recovered well and you can barely even tell he's had a procedure- eating little bits of hay and pooping like a champ!

I did watch, and actually helped with prep, monitoring and recovery in the end and honestly I'm glad I did as although I 100% trust the vets and nurses it just put my mind at ease that I knew how he was every step of the way. I thought he might resent me for being there (blaming me for it maybe?) but he actually seemed comforted pre/post op that I was there so I was so so glad with my decision.

Here he is with a bandage on his ear as his catheter was still in just in case he needed anything IV post op.

P.S on a side note, there was 'Storm Frank' all day today in England- coincidence?! ;-)

Back