• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Not sure what to do

Hi guys

Heres the thing, ive got an 11 year old loo ear rabbit named smokey. Hes been a pet for most of my life as i can even remember bringing him home like it was yesterday:cry:

Over the past 2 weeks it started of him falling over when walking ( he even fell out of his hutch at one point) to now where he is sitting there having to drag him self round to get to his water and food etc. It seems that his back legs have just gone, i could tell this a few days ago as they looked like they were starting to bend and curve under him so it looks likes hes sitting on them sidewards.

I just dont know what to do, weather to have the vet put him to sleep, or just let natural cause happen. But the only thing with that is, i dont know if he is in pain and i dont want him to be. Can someone here please help me, im in bits as it is :cry: :cry:

Thanks

Edit: Hes still eating and drinking fine, he jumps to the sound of his dry food ratteling and carnt move fast enough, the same with carrot or anything, just that hes a ild rabbit and this might be the last straw

Last edited:
I would get your bunny to a bunny savy vet to help decide which way forward which may not necessarily be pts it may depend on if you have insurance and the commitment to any ongoing care needed going forward.

I wouldn't just let nature take it's course ad your bunny may be in pain so just in my opinion a savy rabbit vet is best way forward.

Hi guys

Heres the thing, ive got an 11 year old loo ear rabbit named smokey. Hes been a pet for most of my life as i can even remember bringing him home like it was yesterday:cry:

Over the past 2 weeks it started of him falling over when walking ( he even fell out of his hutch at one point) to now where he is sitting there having to drag him self round to get to his water and food etc. It seems that his back legs have just gone, i could tell this a few days ago as they looked like they were starting to bend and curve under him so it looks likes hes sitting on them sidewards.

I just dont know what to do, weather to have the vet put him to sleep, or just let natural cause happen. But the only thing with that is, i dont know if he is in pain and i dont want him to be. Can someone here please help me, im in bits as it is :cry: :cry:

Thanks

Edit: Hes still eating and drinking fine, he jumps to the sound of his dry food ratteling and carnt move fast enough, the same with carrot or anything, just that hes a ild rabbit and this might be the last straw

Welcome to the Forum and I'm sorry to hear about Smokey.

There could be several reasons for what you describe. With an older rabbit, there's always the possibility of a stroke. It could also be neurological, or due to a parasite called E.Cunicul.

We cannot diagnose here, and the kindest thing for Smokey wold be to take him to a good vet for a thorough examination and possible treatment. A vet may recommend antitbiotics and Metacam - a non steriodal anti inflammatory and pain killer. This would help to make Smokey's life more pain free, if the vet thought it necessary.

Good luck, and please let me know what you decide to do :wave:

Thanks for the replies guys

I forgot to metion in my original post that when i spoke to the vet over the phone, they said that 11 is a good age etc but only said about putting him to sleep. I have read about things like a stroke and all of the above, a few months ago i think he had maybe a mini stroke that made him blind as he sat shaking and a few days later was walking into things etc.

All im trying to say with respect is i dont want to keep him going if its hurting him

Thanks guys, i will reply update on what happens tommorow

Thanks for the replies guys

I forgot to metion in my original post that when i spoke to the vet over the phone, they said that 11 is a good age etc but only said about putting him to sleep. I have read about things like a stroke and all of the above, a few months ago i think he had maybe a mini stroke that made him blind as he sat shaking and a few days later was walking into things etc.

All im trying to say with respect is i dont want to keep him going if its hurting him

Thanks guys, i will reply update on what happens tommorow

Yeah, I know and agree with you 100%

I've had rabbits that have had strokes, and also blindness due to various causes. They are not always conditions that cause pain. It's very hard to detect whether a rabbit is in pain .. even for a vet. As for the right time for him to leave, sometimes you have to use your own instinct as you know him best.

He may have some arthritis which is making his limbs stiff and Metacam may help him there .. ?

Hi how is smokey today? - it is very difficult for a vet to give a telephone diagnosis and certainly a rabbit savy vet will not suggest PTS without first seeing the rabbit for a thorough examination - a good vet will know if a course of treatment will help the bunny.

My rabbit is 12 this year and at this age they will get the normal conditions which come to us all with ageing but it's important to ensure they are not in pain or distress so if you are not sure about the feedback from your vet I would ask for referral - if you post on here your location it may be that someone will know a good vet in your area.

Metacam can help enormously both as general pain relief and anti inflammatory for joints - you mention that he fell,out of his hutch two weeks ago and he now seems to have got worse so a thorough examination will check his spine to see if he has further damaged himself by the fall - only a vet examination will tell you and you owe it to your bunny to ensure he is not in pain.

Hope this helps

Hi guys

He seems good in him self, he reacted to me when i came to see him this morning, but i think jusdging on what a vet and people around me have said that it may be his time for bunny heaven :cry: :cry:

They seemed to make out cruel for kindness

I will post updates about what happenes

Hi guys

Im in a proper state right now, the vet said that sending him to sleep would be the best thing as all pain killers wouldnt have made him better.
Thanks for all the replies that i got here.

Hes not in any pain anymore

Tuesday 29th December 18:10PM

Thanks guys

:( sweet dreams Smokey x

it sounds like he had a long & wonderful life, you must have many happy memories, I hope they are a comfort

Hi guys

Im in a proper state right now, the vet said that sending him to sleep would be the best thing as all pain killers wouldnt have made him better.
Thanks for all the replies that i got here.

Hes not in any pain anymore

Tuesday 29th December 18:10PM

Thanks guys

It was good you had the vet properly access him. He was lucky to have such a long life with someone who put his best interest first. I am so sorry for your loss.

I think he would thank you for being a good friend and doing what was the best thing for him. Binky free Smokey

Back