• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bun not laying down

Smudge&Honey

New Kit
I've tried looking this up on the Internet a few times and really not come across anything about it.

My two year old mini lop used to love flopping out, laying stretched out on his side or on his tummy super bunny style, but I sort of realised in the last few months that he doesn't do that any more. He always just sits hunched up or like a duck and doesn't look comfortable.

Apart from some dental work at the beginning of the month there doesn't seem to have been anything obviously wrong, he still seems okay in himself. He's eating and drinking okay etc. I have a feeling something is wrong though, I just don't know what. My other half thinks I'm mad and worrying about nothing. I want to ask the vets but I don't want them to think I'm daft either. Any ideas/suggestions?

If he were mine, then I would take him to the vets to get him thoroughly checked over, if only to put my mind at rest regarding his change in behaviour.

I had a rabbit who became unable to properly lie down or flop because of compromised lung function due to a lower respiratory infection. I'm not saying that this is the case with your rabbit, but it might be worth asking the vet to listen to his lungs just to make sure they are OK. My bunny also began mouth breathing (head back, neck extended and mouth open).

You should never feel daft for going to the vet if you notice changes in behaviour. It shows you are a caring and vigilant owner.

Thanks Tracy, I think I'll pop into the vets today. Even if I am just being stupid I'd rather be told that than leave it and something bad develop. I hope your bun made a speedy recovery!

Tonibun, no he is in a bonded pair with my girl bun. She's very happy and is always stretched out in super bun position, which makes me think there might be something wrong with him rather than anything wrong with their environment.

Do you mean he's bun loafing? Is it cooler in their environment now? Rabbits tend to flop out more when they are warm. When it's cool they will bun loaf to help retain their body heat. I don't know if this is what is going on with your bun, but just offering it up as one possibility.

A health problem is also a possibility, so never a bad idea to have a vet check when you suspect something might be going on.

Back