• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Forage

daphnephoebe

Wise Old Thumper
So I know many of you on here forage for your bunnies & I've had a nose-ache of the foraging thread.

But does anyone know if there are any plants specific to Scotland that the buns would like to munch on?

I know it may be difficult to find anything as its winter, but as I'm here I figured it'd be worth a try as we'll be wondering through woods etc.

Thanks

Sorry I can't help. I've never had the joys of foraging in Scotland - sounds wonderful :) I reckon you should be able to get the usual winter slim pickings... plantain, dandelion, brambles (I also found vetch yesterday) but as to anything native I really don't know. Enjoy!

Sorry I can't help. I've never had the joys of foraging in Scotland - sounds wonderful :) I reckon you should be able to get the usual winter slim pickings... plantain, dandelion, brambles (I also found vetch yesterday) but as to anything native I really don't know. Enjoy!

We had a quick little look this afternoon but not very much about. (Got dark very quickly). We'll have a decent look in daylight tomorrow.

I don't know how far north you are, but it could be that the climate there is such that any of the usual forage plants are not growing at the moment. Enjoy the walking through the woods :thumb:

I don't know how far north you are, but it could be that the climate there is such that any of the usual forage plants are not growing at the moment. Enjoy the walking through the woods :thumb:

We're near Keith - so very far north!

There's a few dandelions about down south so you might have luck in sheltered spots. If you can ID trees or brambles, they can still have the wood. If your bunnies don't already have access then you could pick grass :)

There's a few dandelions about down south so you might have luck in sheltered spots. If you can ID trees or brambles, they can still have the wood. If your bunnies don't already have access then you could pick grass :)

Thanks for the suggestions.
Bunnies get grass at least twice a week (often 6 days a week tho).

There sadly isn't much round here. We've had a good hunt and gone to a few different woods but no luck. I'll see if I can ID a few of the trees around here with help of the OH's family.
We'll have to come back in the summer for them =]

I found loads of yarrow growing round the back of our local supermarket yesterday! But we are down south.

Also picked, plantain, vetch. Cleavers and dandelion on boxing day

Mine are still enjoying stripping the blackberry bush in the garden even tho it's only twigs and dead stuff now but all of them are having a good pick at it :thumb:

If you haven't already got it, RWAF do a really great foraging book that helps identify things. Good if you're useless (Like me at plants) hah!

If you haven't already got it, RWAF do a really great foraging book that helps identify things. Good if you're useless (Like me at plants) hah!

Very helpful!
I'll be getting this soon thanks to you.

I'm generally good with plants but always like the confirmation before I actually give it to the buns (mum gets sent 100s of pics a month)

Back