• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I can't believe it. My trio's bond is broken u\d Shadowfax isn't eating. :(

Vegan_Bunny

Warren Veteran
What is going on!? :'( Xena and Shadowfax have had a massive fight. There's fluff all over my room and when I tried to calm things down they went at it again and one of them clamped onto my leg. I had to drag them apart and put Shadowfax in a cage. I don't even know who bit me since they were just going mental. Shadowfax has bites on her ears and Xena has a bald patch on her leg but both seem ok apart from really stressed. I'm still shaking.

I can't do this. I can't deal with this. Why is this happening to me!?

I'm sorry to create yet another thread about how **** things are atm. :'(

Last edited:
Oh VB, I'm so sorry to hear this :( :( :(

Really not what you need atm. Poor bunnies, I am guessing that it is in part because they are both girls? I know they are spayed and have been okay with one another for the most part, but can they still have referred aggression? (Afraid I am not that knowledgeable on the subject, but hopefully someone will be on before long who is.)

Sending calming vibes for everyone and I hope that nobody is badly hurt. I can well imagine that has completely frazzled you, I know I would be! :( Ouch that somebunny got hold of you as well, I hope you are okay.

Don't worry about multiple threads...life doesn't give us things one at a time to deal with unfortunately. ((((((((((((((((((Massive hugs)))))))))))))))))))))) xxxxx

I am sorry that yet more stress and upset has occurred for you :cry: It may be that with all the sadness going on the Rabbits have picked up on it. That is NOT saying it's all your fault. IT IS NOT. Also, having a lot of 'strange' people about can cause some Rabbit bond dynamics to be disturbed. I think you mentioned you had some relatives visiting over Christmas ?

Maybe Xena or Shadowfax are under the weather in some way. Dental maybe ? Perhaps the fight kicked off over food. This can occur if one Rabbit is not able to eat as quickly as normal.

I would keep them all apart for a few days. Now is not a time to have to cope with what could be a very stressful re-bonding process. Dont worry about them not having as much space as usual, it's not going to be forever and it is in exceptional circumstances.

Take today an hour at a time. Dont try to think about what you will have to do in the longterm regarding the trio. Just care for their basic needs and allow each one some individual exercise time. I'd not let Xena and Shadowfax get up close to each other and probably wind each other up even more.

See how the day pans out and we are all here to try to help as much as is possible via cyberspace.

Last edited:
What is going on!? :'( Xena and Shadowfax have had a massive fight. There's fluff all over my room and when I tried to calm things down they went at it again and one of them clamped onto my leg. I had to drag them apart and put Shadowfax in a cage. I don't even know who bit me since they were just going mental. Shadowfax has bites on her ears and Xena has a bald patch on her leg but both seem ok apart from really stressed. I'm still shaking.

I can't do this. I can't deal with this. Why is this happening to me!?

I'm sorry to create yet another thread about how **** things are atm. :'(

I'm sorry to hear this :cry: You really don't need any more going on at the moment, though of course the girls don't know that. Christmas is stressful and I hope things settle down asap for you all.

Sending hugs and vibes x

:( I kept Fiver and Xena together and they have been fine. Shadowfax is in a tiny cage that I can't keep her in any longer, it's cruel. She is bored and frustrated. Xena and her have been displaying aggression through the bars. :( I have nowhere to keep her separate completely and I'm terrified that I make things worse. I can't believe this is happening.
Xena needs a dental. I was waiting until after Christmas to decide what to do regarding the anaesthetic risk. :( I don't know what to do at all.
Should I let Shadowfax see Fiver? They were circling at one point and Fiver was humping her but they never actually had a fight. Where can I keep her? I have Larka's dog crate but was planning on using that to rebond them so don't want to put anyone in that. I think my friend has a 6ft piggy cage. Maybe I could borrow that but it won't fit in my bedroom and I doubt my parents would approve of her in the living room.

I don't know what to do. :,(

:( I kept Fiver and Xena together and they have been fine. Shadowfax is in a tiny cage that I can't keep her in any longer, it's cruel. She is bored and frustrated. Xena and her have been displaying aggression through the bars. :( I have nowhere to keep her separate completely and I'm terrified that I make things worse. I can't believe this is happening.
Xena needs a dental. I was waiting until after Christmas to decide what to do regarding the anaesthetic risk. :( I don't know what to do at all.
Should I let Shadowfax see Fiver? They were circling at one point and Fiver was humping her but they never actually had a fight. Where can I keep her? I have Larka's dog crate but was planning on using that to rebond them so don't want to put anyone in that. I think my friend has a 6ft piggy cage. Maybe I could borrow that but it won't fit in my bedroom and I doubt my parents would approve of her in the living room.

I wonder if this is why she is attacking Shadowfax? If Xena is uncomfortable that is likely to make her grumpier than she would be with her. Uncertain as to how Shadowfax and Fiver would behave together now, I would be wary that they would also begin to fight. No solution really, as I know you are apprehensive about putting Xena under GA. I don't blame you with all that's gone on, I'd be nervous too. But I think until something is sorted for her and she's feeling better and recovered, she is liable to continue with the aggression. I'm glad to hear that Fiver and Xena seem to get on well though, that's a plus at least. :)

I'm sorry, I don't know your housing situation well enough to advise there, but I empathize with having little room to work with. :( I have three separate bunnies, two of which live in my (tiny) bedroom and one in the kitchen where there is more room for him on his own. Pip and Mimzy were almost bonded until Mimzy fell ill (with snuffles, I thought) and I parted them for fear of spreading pathogens...stupidly. I don't think I will ever get them all together as a trio. It is more than frustrating because it would be so nice for them to be able to play and live with one another. :( I feel for you. ((((((((((Huge hugs)))))))))

You are doing all you can, really. Bunnies are just weird critters with no logical (to us) behaviors. :? I really hope things will settle down for them all soon. xxxx

I'd ask your parents if, on this occasion and for a limited time, you could have Shadowfax in the living room. If you explain to them it is to give her and Xena a break from each other in the hope that this will make re-bonding them more possible once Xena has had her Dental. As I mentioned before, it could well be the Dental issues that have triggered the aggression. Especially if Xena is feeling she must now compete for food. Taking Shadowfax right out of the environment may allow hostilities to settle and it should also reduce any argy bargy between Fiver and Xena.

I have managed to convince my Mam to have Shadowfax in the living room. I've got the small cage as a Base for her and a litter tray in the room. I've blocked off everything I can so she can't get to any wires. She seems quite relieved and strangely hopped onto my knee and sat there for ages. She did the same last night when I put them in the bathroom to see what they were like. She is not a cuddly bunny and rarely allows me to touch her so this is very strange behaviour but I think she is genuinely terrified of Xena. :(
She seems happy hopping about the living room. It's actually nice to have someone in the living room since Larka has left a massive hole and the room just feels wrong.
It's not ideal and I'm debating whether or not to go and buy a bigger cage for her. Tbh I need one anyway for post op care and to separate poorly bunnies. Tbh I don't really have the money, especially if Xena needs a dental. Perhaps I should get Xena to the vets today and see what they say. I want to see Tom, who has dealt with Xena through the e.c and see what he recommends.
I suppose the timing has actually been good. Not for me but because I'm off work until the 4th so can try to sort this out before then. Tbh I don't think they'll go back together now. :,( I can't rehome Shadowfax. It would kill me. I can't lose Larka and Shadowfax within a few weeks of each other. I don't know if I'm strong enough to put Xena through a dental but I know I have to do it. :,(

I'm glad your Mum has let you have Shadowfax in the living room for the time being. I'm sure it will help rebonding in future. If you need another cage I wonder if there are any other RU members in the area who could lend you one, or a puppy pen or similar? It might be worth starting a thread? xx

I'm glad your Mum has let you have Shadowfax in the living room for the time being. I'm sure it will help rebonding in future. If you need another cage I wonder if there are any other RU members in the area who could lend you one, or a puppy pen or similar? It might be worth starting a thread? xx

I actually have 2 Dog Crates, but as I'm hundreds of miles away :cry:

I actually have 2 Dog Crates, but as I'm hundreds of miles away :cry:

I know, I've got one too, which I use only occasionally, but I'm too far away too :cry: that's what made me think I'm sure someone might have something that could be used for a while, who might be close by.

Thank you that is very kind and a good idea, however, I have a dog crate. Do you think if I use that for Shadowfax's base it will affect the bond if I use that to also attempt a rebond? I can clean it in vinegar but I never found that as good as using a completely neutral area.
I may use the dog crate (although the thought of setting that up in the living room hurts like hell knowing Larka will never use it again and that I'll probably think she's still here.) I'm reluctant to use the crate but I can't bear to see Shadowfax in that cage...even if she's barely left it even with the door open. I think she is feeling sad now. :( She hasn't moved for hours and is just sat in that awful cage staring out of the window. :,(

The crate sounds like a good plan for now. I am sure Shadowfax would appreciate the space.

I can only imagine how you must be feeling just now ... sending best wishes at this difficult time.

Thank you that is very kind and a good idea, however, I have a dog crate. Do you think if I use that for Shadowfax's base it will affect the bond if I use that to also attempt a rebond? I can clean it in vinegar but I never found that as good as using a completely neutral area.
I may use the dog crate (although the thought of setting that up in the living room hurts like hell knowing Larka will never use it again and that I'll probably think she's still here.) I'm reluctant to use the crate but I can't bear to see Shadowfax in that cage...even if she's barely left it even with the door open. I think she is feeling sad now. :( She hasn't moved for hours and is just sat in that awful cage staring out of the window. :,(

I think, if it was me, I would probably be inclined to use the crate. I know how much it hurts to think of using a crate again after the loss of a pet, but at least it will be for a good positive reason :thumb:

I'm not sure if it would affect rebonding tbh, but if Shadowfax is the submissive one I would have thought it might be ok if you neutralise it well and all the stuff she's been using in it. Actually, just thinking about it I had Apricot and Ginger, my 2 girls in my crate for a couple of weeks post spay, and subsequently used it for quad bonding, without any issues :thumb:

I am so sorry that you have this additional stress to cope with. I think the dog crate is a good idea.

I've got her in the crate. It's still far from ideal but I can fit her litter tray in it so that's good, she's quite fastidious with her tray and I know she wouldn't like to just pee anywhere.
Since being in the crate she has perked up and been getting up to mischief. Whilst I was setting it up she kept jumping onto my back and Mam had to remove her. She's never done that before and I'm wondering now if Xena has been so dominant that she's prevented her from interacting with me. She was very loving before I bonded her but just thought she preferred bunny contact to people contact. :( It makes me wonder if she'd be happier not being rebonded to my two. :'( This is seriously upsetting because I can't have two separate groups of bunnies. There's simply no room.

Xena is at the vets this afternoon to see Tom and chat about her dental. Her eye is also bothering her despite currently being treated. :(

Xena is at the vets this afternoon to see Tom and chat about her dental. Her eye is also bothering her despite currently being treated. :(

I hope that she gets on OK. I'm glad you will be seeing a Vet you trust. Maybe she got a scratch on her eye during her scuffle with Shadowfax.

Back