• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits and camping(or should I say glamping?)

rabbitacid

Young Bun
In the summertime, I go camping often. I'm not a real camper though, my family has a huge air conditioned trailer and we always stay in the exact same spot. I would have to take my buns with me. I was thinking I could set up an outdoor pen in a shady spot with a cover. At night and on hot days they would be inside the trailer. It may be stressful the first few times, but I think over time they would get used to it and probably enjoy time outside. What do you think?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Unlike dogs, rabbits are territorial animals so you would be taking them away from their usual territory and this can upset eating habits etc. Also wouldn't it be dangerous to put your rabbits in an enclosure on the ground with no security from wild animals or even passing dogs? Keeping them in the trailer would be much safer. I think some rabbits would find the upheaval very stressful, maybe if you have laid back rabbits they wouldn't mind so much. All in all, it sounds very precarious to me.

In the summertime, I go camping often. I'm not a real camper though, my family has a huge air conditioned trailer and we always stay in the exact same spot. I would have to take my buns with me. I was thinking I could set up an outdoor pen in a shady spot with a cover. At night and on hot days they would be inside the trailer. It may be stressful the first few times, but I think over time they would get used to it and probably enjoy time outside. What do you think?

All my Rabbits have always absolutely hated travelling, even a 10 minute trip to the Vets was traumatic for some of them. BUT there are a few people who have Rabbits who appear to cope just fine with travelling. I would imagine it would be a bit easier to slowly and gently acclimatise a baby Rabbit to travel rather than to suddenly introduce it to an older Rabbit who would be very much more set in his/her ways. It would also help if there were at least two Rabbits so they can be of support to each other.

Taking a Rabbit camping is not something I would do, but that does not mean that it is 'wrong' as such. Just 'wrong' for my Rabbits...............and me !!

Unlike dogs, rabbits are territorial animals so you would be taking them away from their usual territory and this can upset eating habits etc. Also wouldn't it be dangerous to put your rabbits in an enclosure on the ground with no security from wild animals or even passing dogs? Keeping them in the trailer would be much safer. I think some rabbits would find the upheaval very stressful, maybe if you have laid back rabbits they wouldn't mind so much. All in all, it sounds very precarious to me.

Dogs can be very territorial. My rabbits will always have a crate as a "base." This crate as well as their favorite belongings would always come with them to the trailer to help them feel more at home and safe. They would always have access to the crate as well. Goodness, I would take precautions to keep the rabbits safe from predators! The pen would be secured in a constantly shaded spot, and a top would be secured on. I would be sure to get a pen with small gaps between the bars as well.

All my Rabbits have always absolutely hated travelling, even a 10 minute trip to the Vets was traumatic for some of them. BUT there are a few people who have Rabbits who appear to cope just fine with travelling. I would imagine it would be a bit easier to slowly and gently acclimatise a baby Rabbit to travel rather than to suddenly introduce it to an older Rabbit who would be very much more set in his/her ways. It would also help if there were at least two Rabbits so they can be of support to each other.

Taking a Rabbit camping is not something I would do, but that does not mean that it is 'wrong' as such. Just 'wrong' for my Rabbits...............and me !!

Thank you. I will absolutely slowly introduce the idea to rabbits. And I am most certainly getting two! I would start with car rides, then maybe a day trip to the trailer, a night etc. I only ever stay for 2 nights as well. Again this brings up the decision of adult rabbits or babies...

Thank you. I will absolutely slowly introduce the idea to rabbits. And I am most certainly getting two! I would start with car rides, then maybe a day trip to the trailer, a night etc. I only ever stay for 2 nights as well. Again this brings up the decision of adult rabbits or babies...

Rabbits are all different, and react differently to travelling. I have rabbits that loathe it and other that put up with it.

Some rabbits absolutely love it and find it no stress at all. It's impossible to tell, but as you say, if you take it slowly they may well get used to the idea and be excited at their destination!

I would agree with this - we tried taking our rabbit to my dad's once (mitigating circumstances) but he didn't like it, and barely ate. I made sure I took plenty of his things for familiar scents, but it didn't help, and I spent the whole time on edge about digestion problems!

I think if you have to take the buns, then you have to find a way to make it work for all of you.

I'm in a similar situation regarding my rabbits - they have to come with me unless I can get someone to come to the house, which is rarely possible ...

I think if you have to take the buns, then you have to find a way to make it work for all of you.

I'm in a similar situation regarding my rabbits - they have to come with me unless I can get someone to come to the house, which is rarely possible ...

This is exactly the problem! If it would be better to keep them at home then I would, but there is no one available to care for them if I'm gone. Also, someone else caring for them could be equally as stressful so it seems I really can't win either way. I will bring it up at the shelter I plan to adopt from and see if they have any suggestions.

Back