• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Knits?

rabbitacid

Young Bun
I knit as much as I possibly can. I love knitting. Can I knit blankets, beds, toys etc. for my rabbits? I know for many small animals knit goods can be dangerous if their nails get caught,but then it is perfectly safe for cats who also have nails...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I knit as much as I possibly can. I love knitting. Can I knit blankets, beds, toys etc. for my rabbits? I know for many small animals knit goods can be dangerous if their nails get caught,but then it is perfectly safe for cats who also have nails...

Rabbits tend to nibble at material and ingesting it is obviously not good. Maybe you could knit some toy Rabbits and blankets with a Rabbit pattern on them. Then you could sell them to raise some 'pocket money' to by some treats for your own Rabbits :)

Rescue Centres often welcome donated items to sell at Fund Raising Events, so maybe you could donate a few of your creations to a local Rescue too.

Rabbits tend to nibble at material and ingesting it is obviously not good. Maybe you could knit some toy Rabbits and blankets with a Rabbit pattern on them. Then you could sell them to raise some 'pocket money' to by some treats for your own Rabbits :)

Rescue Centres often welcome donated items to sell at Fund Raising Events, so maybe you could donate a few of your creations to a local Rescue too.
Thanks for your response. Do you think it would make a difference depending on the type of yarn? There is all sorts of organic yarn made from bamboo, cotton, etc. I could also knit with jute if that is safe for them to chew on. I've seen dog toys made from jute. What materials are safe for rabbits? I'd assume they like blankets of some sorts. I've seen people use fleece blankets for their rabbits. Speaking of knitting rabbits, that is my next project as someone requested a knit rabbit for their nephew! I would love to sell my creations if I could ever get enough stock! I also would like to knit some small blankets and beds for my local animal rescue.

I use knitted blankets for my bunnies' beds, and they don't nibble them. That said, some will nibble anything, even the soft cover of a snuggle safe heat pad :shock:

Lots of soft beds are sold for rabbits, so it's not a foregone conclusion they will eat everything, but if you make things, you need to expect that they might :D

When my two boys were indoors I gave them a wool rug to lie on (they loved it). All was well for many months then one day they chewed big chunks out of it ... so you can never be sure that they would be safe with fabric of any kind.

I personally won't use knitted stuff with rabbits even though we do sometimes use fleece blankets.

With knitted stuff one nibble and it can start to unwind and they you can be left with lots of tempting hay shaped strands. Fleece at least doesn't fray if chewed although of course it can still be a risk.

Agree don't give knitted items to rabbits
But yes if you love knitting make things for your local rescue to sell :)

I've seen people use t-shirt yarn or upholstery cord for crocheting rugs and things, that's probably the only thing I would consider using.

Like this...

34yz1co.jpg

Tends to be quite expensive though, can make it from old clothes but very time intensive!

I've seen people use t-shirt yarn or upholstery cord for crocheting rugs and things, that's probably the only thing I would consider using.

Like this...

34yz1co.jpg

Tends to be quite expensive though, can make it from old clothes but very time intensive!

What a great idea. I've seen it at Walmart for decent prices and shockingly they have the best selection of it! Thank you!

Back