• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Need to rant (P@H mis-sexing)

Den

Mama Doe
Last weekend I was in Cornwall with OH visiting my stepsons and their families. One of my grandsons was keen to tell me that his 'other nanny' had 2 rabbits .

We were invited round for drinks and I was keen to see the rabbits and their accommodation.

They are two beautiful rex 'sisters' sadly purchased from p@h. They were in a large hutch (no attached run ) but they were regularly let out to play in the family's secure garden. They had lots of hay and their hutch was clean but when these lovely buns were taken out for me to admire and cuddle the size difference in these two sisters made me think one was pregnant.

I reluctantly informed my step daughter - in-laws parents that p@h did sometimes mis-sexing young rabbits so we tried to have a look. I'm no expert and although we could not see obvious male genitals, when comparing with the other they did look different.

If it wasn't so sad, the looks on their faces would have been funny. D-I-L told her parents I was a rabbit 'expert' -very debatable. And they asked me to look in the hutch for signs of next making (which on Monday evening was not evident ).

I advised them to separate them immediately if nest building started.

I've been in touch since OH and I came home on Tuesday but sadly on Christmas Day I was told that fur was being pulled and a nest was being made. The two rabbits had been separated by removing the ramp and shutting the trap door.

I have advised them that if they have both rabbits neutered in the future they can hopefully be rebonded. But it turns out they got two sisters so as not to have to get them spayed. I went on to say that my two were rescue rabbits and already neutered and informed them does are prone to uterine cancer so it was still important to spay.

I do feel quite sorry for these people.They knew not to get a single rabbit and had originally planned to get two rabbits from the P@H adoption scheme but their local branch only had one rabbit available and although they were advised another store not that far away also had a single rabbit available for adoption, once they knew they couldn't just put them together they purchased the two 'sisters'.

I have told D-I-Ls parents about this forum should they need advice in the future which I can't help with.

It's just so sad that yet more unwanted rabbits are about to be born because of P@H incompetence .:evil:

Yes, it's very upsetting isn't it. I hope everything goes well for Mummy bunny and you did your best. Let's hope all the babies find very good homes.

:cry: I really hope everything works out for everybun.thank goodness you went round, at least it will be one litter and not two :shock:

:cry: I really hope everything works out for everybun.thank goodness you went round, at least it will be one litter and not two :shock:

This

Its sad that places like P@H don't advise them to go to a vets after a couple of days for a thorough vet check (most vets will do the first one FOC for a new pet & give 4 weeks free insurance)

Said it before but I'll say it again P@H are nothing but pure scum.

I'd get back in touch with them and ask that they cover the cost of neutering and spaying both the adults and any resulting kits.

its good they have been separated incase one may indeed be a female and other male, do you know how old they are?

Said it before but I'll say it again P@H are nothing but pure scum.

I'd get back in touch with them and ask that they cover the cost of neutering and spaying both the adults and any resulting kits.

This is a good idea. I will message the owners. Thank you.:thumb:

I totally agree with you about P@H.:censored: I was quite restrained for once when I spoke with DILS parents as I did not want to offend them.

Back