• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pickle not eating caecotrophs; but other poop, eating and behaviour is normal.

Jessica95

New Kit
Hello,

We have a 3 month old un-neutered boy named Pickle, who eats lots of hay and produces lots of poop! He's absolutely full of energy, and binki's all over the place.
5 days ago we lost our 2 year old, Peppa. She had GI Stasis, which we medicated from the start, but unfortunately it progressed into bloat and we made the very sad decision to put her to sleep. Peppa started off a little gassy, then lost all appetite and was forcefed, also not eating her caecotrophs. She was also lethargic towards the end. The vet said that Peppa's problem was not contagious, so we shouldn't worry about pickle.

But today, Pickle produced some caecotrophs at about 11am, which he did not eat. He's produced 3 small (50p sized) bundles throughout the day which he has not eaten. Otherwise, he's still eating lots and pooing normal poo in a normal amount. His behaviour is also unaffected. I've palpated just below the ribs, it's firm but squishy; I wouldn't say balloon like.

We've changed his hay from cheaper stuff to nice timothy hay, but thats all that's changed in his diet. He's also on day 2 of a 9 day worming treatment. (He doesn't have worms, it's just for precaution). It's only today that he hasn't eaten his caecotrophs.

Should I be worried? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Jess

Last edited:
Hello,

We have a 3 month old un-neutered boy named Pickle, who eats lots of hay and produces lots of poop! He's absolutely full of energy, and binki's all over the place.
5 days ago we lost our 2 year old, Peppa. She had GI Stasis, which we medicated from the start, but unfortunately it progressed into bloat and we made the very sad decision to put her to sleep. Peppa started off a little gassy, then lost all appetite and was forcefed, also not eating her caecotrophs. She was also lethargic towards the end. The vet said that Peppa's problem was not contagious, so we shouldn't worry about pickle.

But today, Pickle produced some caecotrophs at about 11am, which he did not eat. He's produced 3 small (50p sized) bundles throughout the day which he has not eaten. Otherwise, he's still eating lots and pooing normal poo in a normal amount. His behaviour is also unaffected. I've palpated just below the ribs, it's firm but squishy; I wouldn't say balloon like.

We've changed his hay from cheaper stuff to nice timothy hay, but thats all that's changed in his diet. He's also on day 2 of a 9 day worming treatment. (He doesn't have worms, it's just for precaution). It's only today that he hasn't eaten his caecotrophs.

Jess

I am sorry that you lost Peppa :cry:

Re Pickle- the worming treatment (Panacur ?) can cause the cecotrophs to taste 'wrong' and so the Rabbit does not eat all of them. The fact that he is doing very normal fecal poos and eating and behaving normally suggests that you dont need to be too concerned. But it would be a good idea to call the Vet to let him/her know what is going on and to obtain qualified reassurance from him/her.

I'd probably not feed him any carrots/fruit at the moment, if he does ever have them. It may be a good idea to keep sugars/carbohydrates to a minimum as this can further disrupt the balance of cecal flora. Eating lots of hay is good, I doubt that a change of hay has caused a problem, but it's not impossible.

Finally, when a Buck reaches puberty (12-14 weeks usually) they can have a transient issue with not eating their cecals.

Hopefully all will return to normal for Pickle within the next day or so xx

Hello,

Jess

Hi there :wave:

I'm so sorry that you lost your lovely Peppa .. What a sad time of year for you :cry:

Usually uneaten caecotrophs are due to excess carbs and/or protein in the diet. Can you up the amount of hay and lessen the pellets for a day or so? Timothy Hay could well be a little richer for him than your previous hay, and of course hay varies in protein and carb content. It could well be just that adjustment that's causing the issue :)

I don't think you should be worried at all right now, unless he stops eating or the poo becomes runny (sorry, bit graphic!)

The Panacur doesn't usually make any difference to these things, but I would question why you are worming if he doesn't have worms - it's a moot point whether Panacur should be given as a precaution of anything or not (a discussion point really :) )

Thank you very much everyone!

We saw our nurse yesterday and she said everything is fine! And basically said the same as you about the maturing and protein and sometimes panacur making it taste off. (He's on the panacur because the vet said to do it on the off chance that Peppa had a parasite- usually wouldn't worry as he is a house bunny 😊)
We upped his hay and kale, and he's been absolutely fine today! Not a single caecotroph seen, so I assume he'll be okay :) but I shall obviously be keeping a super close eye on him!

We saw our nurse yesterday and she said everything is fine! And basically said the same as you about the maturing and protein and sometimes panacur making it taste off. (He's on the panacur because the vet said to do it on the off chance that Peppa had a parasite- usually wouldn't worry as he is a house bunny ��)
We upped his hay and kale, and he's been absolutely fine today! Not a single caecotroph seen, so I assume he'll be okay :) but I shall obviously be keeping a super close eye on him!

Glad to hear that all is well :D

We saw our nurse yesterday and she said everything is fine! And basically said the same as you about the maturing and protein and sometimes panacur making it taste off. (He's on the panacur because the vet said to do it on the off chance that Peppa had a parasite- usually wouldn't worry as he is a house bunny 😊)

Great news Jessica :thumb:

Back