• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Holding up paw

bunnyberry

New Kit
I noticed that my bunny slightly holds up his right paw when sitting down or tucks it under his body. I didn't think much of it but when I plopped him down (just an inch from the ground), he flinched and held up his right paw. Now I notice that if I touch it he quickly moves it away from me.

About a month ago on his right paw his "pinky" nail came all off. I noticed some blood and saw that his whole nail was coming off. It came off by itself and I thought it was okay. I have been at college since then and my family didn't notice anything strange, but they don't watch him the way I do.

Do you think he is hurting from the nail that came off last month? His foot looks fine and he puts weight on it when hopping, but just tends to hold it up slightly. Could it be broken, sore, or infected?

Rabbits hide their problems really well. If you suspect there is something wrong, you are probably right. It is best to follow your instincts and get it checked out at a vet. It could escalate over Christmas when it will be more difficult (and much more expensive) to get an appointment. Flinching would tend to indicate that there is some pain or discomfort. Bunnies in pain can stop eating properly and that can lead to other problems. I would suggest a check up now to be on the safe side.

It might not necessarily be from his nail coming off - he could have caught it on something else, or landed awkwardly and sprained it etc. It does sound like there's something bothering him though - I would get it checked out too x

Aww poor bunny! Yes, if he is favouring his paw and flinching with it then he definitely needs to see a vet I'm afraid as it is evidently giving him pain which requires proper medical attention. It could be from when the nail came off, but not necessarily so. There may be a mild infection from where the nail came off, or it could be something different altogether but a rabbit ideally needs all 4 paws in order to run, hop, jump etc so pop him to your vet for a thorough check as soon as possible and don't forget to let us know what was wrong too :)

Back