• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New to rabbits

rabbitacid

Young Bun
Hi everyone. I am very interested in getting a pet rabbit, specifically a Rex sometime in the new year. I've been researching a lot, and rabbits sound like the perfect pet(s) for me. I have a lot of questions first though!
1) should I get a baby or an adult?

2) should I get two rabbits or just one? If getting two, shall I get one rabbit first and get another later or get the rabbits together?

3) how much time should I be spending with my rabbit(s) a day? I am fairly busy, but I am home during the evenings which I've heard is a prime time for rabbit playtime.

4) how should I go about grooming a Rex rabbit? I know the general rule is to brush your rabbits at least once a week, however I've heard different opinions about grooming a Rex.

5) are rabbits very messy? One of the reasons I'm looking at rabbits is because they can be litter trained. I am not overly concerned about hay or toys, just poop and urine. I don't want to be cleaning up a sticky, smelly mess. My sister had sugar gliders; they throw poop and food and it's so sticky and nasty. If anyone here owns or has owned suggies, you'll know what I'm talking about. This is the kind of mess I do not want. Of course, I'm not asking for a perfectly clean animal, I am prepared to clean the enclosure regularly.

6) what temperatures do rabbits do best at? Do they have any lighting requirements? I wanted to convert my large closet into a rabbit enclosure, but my room and closet is very dark almost all the time. If need be I can leave lights on, but if it's not necessary I don't want to waste electricity.

7) some have told me that rabbits are mean, grumpy, or neutral towards people. According to what I have been reading, this is entirely untrue providing conditions are right. Could anyone expand on this?

8) lastly, what are some good websites I can gain rabbit information from? I've been reading a lot on rabbit.org and myhouserabbit.com. These seem like reliable resources, but if they're not please let me know!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hello and welcome to the forum, I've had a go at answering your questions, but there are lots more knowledgeable fellow forum buddies who should be able to help too I'm sure.
:D

Hi everyone. I am very interested in getting a pet rabbit, specifically a Rex sometime in the new year. I've been researching a lot, and rabbits sound like the perfect pet(s) for me. I have a lot of questions first though!
1) should I get a baby or an adult?

There are pro's and con's to both. If you have a baby rabbit, any inherent medical conditions may not have materialised yet so you won't know what you're letting yourself in for.
One thing to consider is where you obtain your rabbit(s) from - this Forum is pro-rescue i.e. obtaining a bunny form a rescue centre. There are lots of rabbits in rescue and the rescue can help you choose the rabbit that's right for you.

2) should I get two rabbits or just one? If getting two, shall I get one rabbit first and get another later or get the rabbits together?

Rabbits are prey animals, because of this they are continually one the look out for predators. if you have only one rabbit then they will have to be on the lookout all of the time and without another rabbit to share that duty with they can become stressed. Rabbits also enjoy the company of other rabbits so will generally do better if they have a friend. They will also groom each other which can help with things like runny eyes, so there are health benefits too. However you can't just pop two rabbits together if they aren't already 'bonded'. The easiest option is to obtain a pair that are already neutered and bonded. In this way you'll know they won't fight. I've said neutered because sometimes bonds can break down when rabbits reach sexual maturity.

3) how much time should I be spending with my rabbit(s) a day? I am fairly busy, but I am home during the evenings which I've heard is a prime time for rabbit playtime.

Rabbits are crepuscular, this means they're at their most active dawn and dusk. The main consideration if you're not home during the day is how will you ensure that the rabbit(s) have enough safe space to run and play in when you're not there. So if you have a hutch you should ensure that it's big enough and that there is a run attached. The more time you spend with your rabbit the more they will trust you and the more you will enjoy the relationship. However bear in mind not all rabbits like people.

4) how should I go about grooming a Rex rabbit? I know the general rule is to brush your rabbits at least once a week, however I've heard different opinions about grooming a Rex.

Not sure on this as I've not had rexes.

5) are rabbits very messy? One of the reasons I'm looking at rabbits is because they can be litter trained. I am not overly concerned about hay or toys, just poop and urine. I don't want to be cleaning up a sticky, smelly mess. My sister had sugar gliders; they throw poop and food and it's so sticky and nasty. If anyone here owns or has owned suggies, you'll know what I'm talking about. This is the kind of mess I do not want. Of course, I'm not asking for a perfectly clean animal, I am prepared to clean the enclosure regularly.

They're clean animals that can be litter trained. Rabbits are smart and will learn quick. Their poo is dry and inoffensive / doesn't smell.
6) what temperatures do rabbits do best at? Do they have any lighting requirements? I wanted to convert my large closet into a rabbit enclosure, but my room and closet is very dark almost all the time. If need be I can leave lights on, but if it's not necessary I don't want to waste electricity.

Not too hot, rabbits can overheat and be poorly/die as it's difficult for them to regulate their temperature.
They enjoy/benefit from daylight the same as 'most' animals

7) some have told me that rabbits are mean, grumpy, or neutral towards people. According to what I have been reading, this is entirely untrue providing conditions are right. Could anyone expand on this?

Yes, they can be all of those, but it's usually for a reason. A grumpy rabbit is usually because the rabbit is ill or isn't being treated right - so is scared or aggressive.
However they can also be intelligent, friendly loving animals. Once you make friends with your rabbit they'll love you for life.
8) lastly, what are some good websites I can gain rabbit information from? I've been reading a lot on rabbit.org and myhouserabbit.com. These seem like reliable resources, but if they're not please let me know!

websites I've found helpful (UK biased)
http://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/
http://www.therabbithouse.com/

Good luck :thumb:

Thank you so much for all the help. I think once I am ready I will adopt (hopefully) a bonded pair from my local humane society. As cute as baby buns are, it sounds like adults are the better option so I know what kind of rabbits I'm getting.

Back