• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

No pellets for young rabbit? / excess cecotropes

Calliope

New Kit
Hi, this is my first post, and it's been a week since we got our first rabbit, a 10 week old 1kg. Dutch male named Oreo who we're bringing up as a house bunny. He had his vaccinations a few days ago, and the vet said he looks fine and healthy.

We have been feeding him lots of Timothy hay and about 1/8 of a cup of pellets a day. Output has until recently been normal (and copious…), except for a couple of uneaten cecotropes shortly afer we got him. However, since last night he has produced 6 or 7 uneaten, which concerns us.

From what we've read, this is usually caused by too many pellets. Might this be the case even given what seems to be a fairly small amount to begin with?

Our preference is no pellets in his diet as he grows up, but we didn't want to alter his diet too much too soon as we assumed he'd been having them until now (unfortunately we don't know much about his eating habits before we got him, but it seemed a safe assumption). We're now wondering if the best thing to do is cut them out completely. So there's my second question: is it OK for a young rabbit to have none at all? Or should we simply give a smaller amount?

We have not yet yet started feeding him veggies, though we were just about to. Should we wait to see how the cecotrope issue resolves first?

Last edited:
The uneaten cecals could be connected to his vaccination, so it is agreed by most that baby rabbits need the nutrients in pellets for their healthy growth and can always have them all through their life, as it's something they enjoy. The amount you are giving is quite small and I would give him more personally. I would see how how he goes and regarding the veg, it is recommended that veg is started around 12 weeks of age, unless you know they have already been eating it. Start with one veg at a time, just a small piece and monitor his output. Hope he settles in nicely.

I'm happy to give him things he enjoys if they're good for him. The problem is, it seems that any time we give him any pellets, he starts having excess cecals.

i think it's very early days to be worried about his diet, as he is in the process of settling in and having a vaccination sometimes stops them from eating cecals. I would not advise cutting down on pellets as he is very young and needs all the nutrition he can get. I would give him a few more weeks in which time he should have settled down and won't leave as many, or any, cecals.

Back