• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I need opinions. Second rabbit?

oliviaandwez

Young Bun
Hi, so I have had my little bunny Wesley for a year now. I love him to bits. He is currently a house rabbit and lives with me in a shared house in my room ( don't worry its a big room). This works for us as he has the full run of my room and I get to spend the evenings with him after work.

So my problem is I really want to get Wesley a friend as I worry about him being lonely in the day. He isn't much of a chewer or digger so doesn't have a lot to keep him busy with. I understand the process of bonding is long and hard which I can deal with but I'm worried if I commit to having a second rabbit that it might just be too much work and stress with me being at work in the day. Wesley is a very good boy but I know other rabbits are not as well behaved. I'm torn, I want another one for his sake to give him company but I'm worried that it may just be too much and that I should wait until I have and house of my own to get a second one.

Any advice would be appreciated. I hope this makes sense.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I think it's aa good idea to get your bunny a friend but no-one can guarantee how good one will be. You could keep them both in an enclosure to start with until you find out how the new bunny behaves? It should be fairly easy to introduce a female to your male as it's usually the females which are the territorial ones and cause the problems. We on here always recommend that a rabbit should have a bunny friend.

I think a friend would be a good idea. They will keep eachother company whilst you aren't at home. I got my bun a friend after having her about 6 months and it's the best thing I did. She still loves fuss and attention from me but her friend keeps her company when I'm not there. As tonibun said you won't be able to guarantee how the new rabbit will behave but it wouldn't take you long to suss this out and you could always bunny proof your room. That's what I did and it was fairly easy to be honest. I didn't have a clue about the bonding so the rspca did this for me when I rescued my second one. Good luck x

Thanks for your advice! Yeah I think I will get him another one, I don't think it will be too much extra work and I really do worry about him being lonely. Hopefully the bonding process won't be too tricky!

Thanks for your advice! Yeah I think I will get him another one, I don't think it will be too much extra work and I really do worry about him being lonely. Hopefully the bonding process won't be too tricky!

If you choose a rescue rabbit, then the rescue will possibly offer to do the bonding for you. I find it takes about 24/48 hours, but if you've not done it before, it can be a test of your nerves!

Welcome to RU :wave:

Yes I will be getting a rescue one. I can imagine it tests your patience a fair bit! I hope wesley is open to the idea of a friend!

Just thought I would update you! Wesley has found a new friends to keep him company called Eric! Little eric is a rescue rabbit and was neglected when he was younger so now he permanently has weepy eyes and has no back teeth. He's a bit of a sorry case but he will now be with me in his forever home. Here's a pic of them together.
124f70b9336299d35b3a1a66ee8dc40d.jpg
3c537631095b8ab67a90245b814ec958.jpg

You have me with a weepy eye now:lol:....what a lovely bunny couple. little Eric :love: Lovely that you took him on. were they instant friends?

Yes! Instant friends. The second photo of them cuddling was taken less than 24 hours after meeting. Hopefully people on here may have had rabbits with weepy eyes so can offer advice but Yeh he's so cute and was struggling to find a home because he's got 'issues'.
Took one person to not get his eye infection treated and now he's got these sad little eyes. :( never mind tho! Me and Wesley don't judge his appearance :)

Back