• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit with hay stuck up nose potentially

Gem

Wise Old Thumper
Okay, long story short:

Gave my two house buns some different hay, only a small amount but he did have his head in the bag, on Wednesday night, Milo was fine at 11pm but by 9am Thursday he was fighting to breathe.

No discharge, not mouth breathing just fighting to breathe.

Rushed to the vet, no obvious obstructions, throat clear, breathing noisy but lungs clear.

Something going on in his nasal passages and upper airway.

Good gum and tongue colour so no loss of oxygen or he would have been straight in an oxygen tent.

He's on steroids to bring down any inflammation and antibiotics for any infection.

The steroid cleared some inflammation overnight Thursday so he is not fighting for breath any more but he is now 'quacking' or sneeze coughing.

Does this sound like something caught in his nasal passage?

He's on the steroids for a week and a half and antibiotics for a week but he's being vet checked again on Monday.

Has any one had any experience with things lodged in noses etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know rabbits can get hay stuck in their nasal passage, it can work its way out eventually. Whether this is the case with your rabbit I wouldn't like to say. Someone else will be along shortl.

I've seen it a few times in practice where hay has become stuck in the nasal passage.

Most of the time it was embedded into the tissue and we'd need to put the bunny under sedation/GA to remove it.
If being checked again at the vets tomorrow I'd point out to the vet all the symptoms you're having and ask them to check.

A fairly clear sign to know if something is stuck up there is seeing a small spray of blood when they sneeze.

A fairly clear sign to know if something is stuck up there is seeing a small spray of blood when they sneeze.

He doesn't really sneeze to be honest, more a chokey nose blowing sound.

It's so odd, I'm in close contact with the vet so updating her daily.

Appetite returned fully last night so that's one less worry

Okay, long story short:

Gave my two house buns some different hay, only a small amount but he did have his head in the bag, on Wednesday night, Milo was fine at 11pm but by 9am Thursday he was fighting to breathe.

No discharge, not mouth breathing just fighting to breathe.

Rushed to the vet, no obvious obstructions, throat clear, breathing noisy but lungs clear.

Something going on in his nasal passages and upper airway.

Good gum and tongue colour so no loss of oxygen or he would have been straight in an oxygen tent.

He's on steroids to bring down any inflammation and antibiotics for any infection.

The steroid cleared some inflammation overnight Thursday so he is not fighting for breath any more but he is now 'quacking' or sneeze coughing.

Does this sound like something caught in his nasal passage?

He's on the steroids for a week and a half and antibiotics for a week but he's being vet checked again on Monday.

Has any one had any experience with things lodged in noses etc?

Yes it's possible for hay to be stuck up a rabbit's nose, unfortunately. I would be interested in your vets re-evaluation tomorrow, and whether he thinks it's best to leave it to work itself out (sometimes they are sneezed/blown out) or whether sedation is necessary, depending on how severe the symptoms are.

What a worry! We do our very best for them, and this is what happens :shock:

Back