• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit haemorrhagic disease (RHD) and its variants - (RHDV2) (Lagoviruses)

It is a very informative article isn't it. I suppose as is the case with all viruses, over time they will mutate and any vaccine can only be effective in dealing with specific forms of a virus. Rather like how last years Human Flu Vaccine was not very effective, the Flu virus that prevailed had mutated in such a way as to make the vaccine available last year of limited use.

I think all any of us can do re RVHD and other Lagoviruses is to utilise the vaccine currently available and to take as many general husbandry precautions as possible. Sadly it is never going to be possible to create a 100% 'safe from all viruses' environment.

I am aware of someone who used 'Alternative Treatment' (Nosodes) instead of vaccinating against VHD. She subsequently had a VHD outbreak with numerous deaths :cry: She was NOT a negligent or uncaring owner, just misguided in her belief in being told that Nosodes offer as much protection as a vaccine with 'less risk' of side effects. It was a truly dreadful event and the person never recovered from it emotionally. She passed away still riddled with guilt that she was responsible for causing the death of so many of her beloved Rabbits :cry:

She passed away still riddled with guilt that she was responsible for causing the death of so many of her beloved Rabbits :cry:

:cry:

Poor lady.

Sadly, it is the case with vaccines that they can not be 100% effective. But at least rabbits have a specific vaccine designed for them.
When I had ferrets there was no vaccine designed to protect them from distemper (still isn't) and you'd have to take your chases using the dog vaccine off licence. You'd risk losing them by vaccinating them, or by not vaccinating them. And even vaccinated ferrets weren't protected from distemper as it reacted differently in a ferrets body to a dogs.

They will make progress on rabbit vaccines as VHD mutates, so we will always be able to provide the best possible care.

Poor lady.

Sadly, it is the case with vaccines that they can not be 100% effective. But at least rabbits have a specific vaccine designed for them.
When I had ferrets there was no vaccine designed to protect them from distemper (still isn't) and you'd have to take your chases using the dog vaccine off licence. You'd risk losing them by vaccinating them, or by not vaccinating them. And even vaccinated ferrets weren't protected from distemper as it reacted differently in a ferrets body to a dogs.

They will make progress on rabbit vaccines as VHD mutates, so we will always be able to provide the best possible care.

I never knew that about Ferrets :cry:

Poor lady.

It's a bit ironic to me that the combination vaccine came out in March 2012, a couple of years AFTER the variant VHD-2 was discovered!

It's a bit ironic to me that the combination vaccine came out in March 2012, a couple of years AFTER the variant VHD-2 was discovered!

Not to me, it takes many years to develop, test and market a new drug. Vaccines are no different. There also has to be sufficient evidence of incidence to make it worth the company's development costs. There's no money to be made from vaccines that Joe Public or the veterinary community don't believe are necessary.

Not to me, it takes many years to develop, test and market a new drug. Vaccines are no different. There also has to be sufficient evidence of incidence to make it worth the company's development costs. There's no money to be made from vaccines that Joe Public or the veterinary community don't believe are necessary.

Oh absolutely, I'm well aware of all that! I just found the situation re the vaccines to have a certain irony about it, that's all :)

Last edited:
I never knew that about Ferrets :cry:

I never vaccinated my ferrets and was very lucky that distemper break outs never reached my group.
I think in 2010 across the company over 200 ferrets died due to a distemper break out (some vaccinated, others not). It took out a whole re-homing centre very quickly :sad:

MightyMax - It is a bit annoying regarding finding a new strain a few years after releasing an effective vaccine. But as far as I was aware the new strain hadn't properly established or spread too much so they had a little head start on building a new vaccine to combat VHD-2

I never vaccinated my ferrets and was very lucky that distemper break outs never reached my group.
I think in 2010 across the company over 200 ferrets died due to a distemper break out (some vaccinated, others not). It took out a whole re-homing centre very quickly :sad:

MightyMax - It is a bit annoying regarding finding a new strain a few years after releasing an effective vaccine. But as far as I was aware the new strain hadn't properly established or spread too much so they had a little head start on building a new vaccine to combat VHD-2

Indeed, the VHD-2 strain was discovered in 2010, and although it spread rapidly, the new vaccine was already in production well before that. There was nothing that could have been done at that time to take into account the new strain.

I posted some info on it here:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?450895-safe-to-collect-food/page3&highlight=forage

I don't find it annoying - that's life really!

:wave: Just to let you guys know that a special import licence has been granted for the VHD2 vaccine from europe, so vets should be able to get hold of it within the next couple of weeks. I don't know if it's planned that it will be widely recommended in addition to the usual combo vaccine, or only for rabbits in areas with known problems, but either way, hopefully this is a bit of good news. For me there are still more questions than answers, but at least it means that if it seems the less risky option, the vaccine should be available :D

:wave: Just to let you guys know that a special import licence has been granted for the VHD2 vaccine from europe, so vets should be able to get hold of it within the next couple of weeks. I don't know if it's planned that it will be widely recommended in addition to the usual combo vaccine, or only for rabbits in areas with known problems, but either way, hopefully this is a bit of good news. For me there are still more questions than answers, but at least it means that if it seems the less risky option, the vaccine should be available :D

Thanks so much for passing on the info'. It's good to know that there is at least the option to vaccinate against VHD2 in specific cases. Do you happen to know if the Import Licence will be on a named client only basis ?

Thank you Santa :D

Can I ask where you heard this piece of news?

Thank you so much for sharing. I got a little hint of this in my FB feed yesterday but didn't know if was something that would take months to effect or if it was imminent - this is such good news.

Last edited:
Do you happen to know if the Import Licence will be on a named client only basis ?

I'm not sure but I don't think so, because it sounds as if the licence has been granted for the product as a whole so that vets can order in bulk quantities on the back of the product import licence.

Last edited:
I'm not sure but I don't think so, because it sounds as if the licence has been granted for the product as a whole so that vets can order in bulk quantities on the back of the product import licence.

Thank you.

Shove over a bit, I'm on the fence about it all too and whether I should get my 4 VHD2 Vaccinated. As you say there are more questions than answers at the moment. 3 of mine are due their Combi-Vac in March, so maybe more information will be available by then.

Thank you.

Shove over a bit, I'm on the fence about it all too and whether I should get my 4 VHD2 Vaccinated. As you say there are more questions than answers at the moment. 3 of mine are due their Combi-Vac in March, so maybe more information will be available by then.

Given that the 'unexpected death' at the practice I use has now had confirmation of the presence of new variant of RHDV (RHDV2) ... then I think I may be having to make decisions sooner rather than later regarding vaccination......:(... though the mortality rate for a pet rabbit environment is far more promising than farm type environment.

Last edited:
Given that the 'unexpected death' at the practice I use has now had confirmation of the presence of new variant of RHDV (RHDV2) ... then I think I may be having to make decisions sooner rather than later regarding vaccination......:(... though the mortality rate for a pet rabbit environment is far more promising than farm type environment.

Gosh, really :cry:

There is always something to worry about isn't there xx

The other reason that this is incredibly scary is that it suggests that it's made its way around the country. There has been a confirmed outbreak in Brentwood, Essex, so this in Yorkshire suggests that it's probably pretty much everywhere in-between. In a weird way, it's probably a good thing that FHB is aware as she will no doubt have a (well researched and considered) view on the RHD2 vaccine and the balance of risks and benefits and that may be a helpful guide for others to consider in due course.

Back