• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spayed bunnies and some concerns

Melissa C

New Kit
Hi all,

We recently had two dwarf bunnies spayed (On Monday, it's now Wednesday evening). There have been a few problems here and there, many we read about and were expecting. Although it's a lot more scary when it's actually happening. Both bunnies had a successful spay, on the Monday afternoon when the bunnies returned home they were obviously in pain and wanted to rest. They did not eat or pass stools for the first evening. Tuesday morning the bunnies were still not liss for food. The one bunny, Soutie, managed to eat one carrot top. We contacted the Vet and we picked up some critical care. By the time we got home, Soutie was eating a lot more food, Dutchy on the other hand was not. We managed to syringe feed her about 3mls of Critical Care and a carrot top. They both were able to pass stools, quite a bit which was great. Tuesday afternoon was the last time Dutchy was able to pass stools. We were sent home with Clopamon to give 1 ml twice a day UNTIL THEY PASS STOOLS as instructed by the vet. We only gave two doses each before they passed stools. We stopped giving the medication. Dutchy did not pass the whole of today (Wednesday). We gave Dutchy 0.1 ml at 2 pm and gave her 1 ml at 20:00 this evening. Unsure of how long it might take before it works, I phoned a 24/7 vet who told me if she hasn't passed stools until the morning we should take her back to the vet. I was not comfortable with this because I have read it can be quite dangerous. Luckily she just managed to pass quite a few stools, about 10 minutes ago (21:20). This is great news.

I am still very unsure of what to do from here, Soutie is eating fine (No pellets yet, but she is eating well, hay, carrots, apples and a few other greens) Dutchy not so much, we are able to get her to eat carrot tops, grass and a little bit of apple. Do I continue to give Dutchy the Clopamon? I have read the it's a good idea to wean them off of it instead of stopping abruptly, although the vet did say to stop it as soon as they pass stools. Dutchy's stools are quite small, oval shaped and a bit darker than usual. Soutie's were like this as well but are now getting more normal.

I understand that this is a process, although I am quite the worry wart.

Can we continue to feed Dutchy carrot tops and grass until she is comfortable eating pellets and hay?

As much as I admire the vets for all that they have done, I have lost a bit of confidence in them.

any advice would be greatly appreicated

~M and D

Hi all,

We recently had two dwarf bunnies spayed (On Monday, it's now Wednesday evening). There have been a few problems here and there, many we read about and were expecting. Although it's a lot more scary when it's actually happening. Both bunnies had a successful spay, on the Monday afternoon when the bunnies returned home they were obviously in pain and wanted to rest. They did not eat or pass stools for the first evening. Tuesday morning the bunnies were still not liss for food. The one bunny, Soutie, managed to eat one carrot top. We contacted the Vet and we picked up some critical care. By the time we got home, Soutie was eating a lot more food, Dutchy on the other hand was not. We managed to syringe feed her about 3mls of Critical Care and a carrot top. They both were able to pass stools, quite a bit which was great. Tuesday afternoon was the last time Dutchy was able to pass stools. We were sent home with Clopamon to give 1 ml twice a day UNTIL THEY PASS STOOLS as instructed by the vet. We only gave two doses each before they passed stools. We stopped giving the medication. Dutchy did not pass the whole of today (Wednesday). We gave Dutchy 0.1 ml at 2 pm and gave her 1 ml at 20:00 this evening. Unsure of how long it might take before it works, I phoned a 24/7 vet who told me if she hasn't passed stools until the morning we should take her back to the vet. I was not comfortable with this because I have read it can be quite dangerous. Luckily she just managed to pass quite a few stools, about 10 minutes ago (21:20). This is great news.

I am still very unsure of what to do from here, Soutie is eating fine (No pellets yet, but she is eating well, hay, carrots, apples and a few other greens) Dutchy not so much, we are able to get her to eat carrot tops, grass and a little bit of apple. Do I continue to give Dutchy the Clopamon? I have read the it's a good idea to wean them off of it instead of stopping abruptly, although the vet did say to stop it as soon as they pass stools. Dutchy's stools are quite small, oval shaped and a bit darker than usual. Soutie's were like this as well but are now getting more normal.

I understand that this is a process, although I am quite the worry wart.

Can we continue to feed Dutchy carrot tops and grass until she is comfortable eating pellets and hay?

As much as I admire the vets for all that they have done, I have lost a bit of confidence in them.

any advice would be greatly appreicated

~M and D

Hello

The most important thing is are both your Does still receiving regular daily pain relief ? A spay is major abdominal surgery and pain relief is essential for at least 4-5 days after surgery. A Rabbit in pain wont eat, then their gut motility slows down leading to gut stasis.

So if for some inexplicable reason your Does were sent home with no pain relief the you need to contact the Vet straight away and politely but very firmly request some.

Clopamon is a brand name for a prokinetic drug called 'Metoclopramide'. It promotes gut motility, it has no analgesic properties at all.

In the meantime I would continue to encourage your Does to eat, even if Dutchy will only eat grass/veg. Whilst the Clopamon may promote some gut motility, it is also essential that there is some food going in. I'd contine with giving the Critical Care too, as long as the syringe feeding is not causing too much stress for Dutchy. That would be counter-productive.

I do hope that both your Does will soon be feel a lot better.

Hi,

Thank you for your response.

We received 3 days worth of pain relief medication. Today was the last day to give both bunnies the pain medication. Do you think I should request more?

Soutie seems well on her way to recovery, she is eating well and her stools are looking much better. She is still not 100 % on board with the pellets just yet.

Dutchy is doing much better today. After she didn't pass stools for a while we did give her the Clopamon and after about 45 minutes she passed some stools. Giving Dutchy any form of medication is stressful, she refuses to take the medication so we do unfortunately have to try force it. Soutie licks it straight off the spoon, as for Dutchy, we dab the medication on her mouth and allow her to lick it off. The Clopamon is a bit more difficult, this is why we are trying not to give her too much because it is not pleasant for her. This morning she has passed some stools (Dark brown, oval and a bit smaller than usual) so at this point we're not giving her Clopamon. She has been eating hay on her own accord which is great. So we really don't want to force more medication on her because she really doesn't like it.

We are keeping a close eye on her.

I am feeling positive as they are both eating and passing stools, but I am stiill worried as to whether or not we should give Dutchy more clopamon.

What would you recommend for feeding her? Because trying to get her to eat some Critical Care is also stressful and she does not like it at all. Shall I give her the grass and carrot tops?

Thank you

Hi,

We received 3 days worth of pain relief medication. Today was the last day to give both bunnies the pain medication. Do you think I should request more?

Soutie seems well on her way to recovery, she is eating well and her stools are looking much better. She is still not 100 % on board with the pellets just yet.

Dutchy is doing much better today. After she didn't pass stools for a while we did give her the Clopamon and after about 45 minutes she passed some stools. Giving Dutchy any form of medication is stressful, she refuses to take the medication so we do unfortunately have to try force it. Soutie licks it straight off the spoon, as for Dutchy, we dab the medication on her mouth and allow her to lick it off. The Clopamon is a bit more difficult, this is why we are trying not to give her too much because it is not pleasant for her. This morning she has passed some stools (Dark brown, oval and a bit smaller than usual) so at this point we're not giving her Clopamon. She has been eating hay on her own accord which is great. So we really don't want to force more medication on her because she really doesn't like it.

I am feeling positive as they are both eating and passing stools, but I am stiill worried as to whether or not we should give Dutchy more clopamon.

What would you recommend for feeding her? Because trying to get her to eat some Critical Care is also stressful and she does not like it at all. Shall I give her the grass and carrot tops?

Thank you

As she is now eating a little more for herself and she has some output I would not syringe feed her any critical care. Just leave out small portions of various tempting foods. Fresh herbs are usually a winner, especially coriander.

I am glad the Vet gave a supply of pain relief, I would give the Vet a call today and ask if he/she thinks Dutchy should have it for a couple more days until her eating is back to normal. It will be important to continue monitoring input and output for a few more days, but it sounds as though both Does are on the road to a good recovery.

Great, thank you for all your advice.

We just managed to give her two big carrot tops and a bit of apple which she quite enjoyed. She is grooming and looking a bit happier. I will give the Vet a ring for sure.

Thanks again

~M and D

Great, thank you for all your advice.

We just managed to give her two big carrot tops and a bit of apple which she quite enjoyed. She is grooming and looking a bit happier. I will give the Vet a ring for sure.

Thanks again

~M and D

Hopefully another 24 hours will bring about even more improvement. Self grooming is a very encouraging sign as is the increased enthusiasm for food :)

Hoping Duchy starts to feel better as the day goes on. It can take a few days for a doe to recover well enough to eat properly, so no worries really, although we do!

Hi,

Thank you

I have just caught up with this, and am pleased to see that your bunnies are recovering nicely! The vet gave them pain relief, which is good, and I wouldn't force any more meds in there (if the vet agrees) if she's doing well. Too much stress is counter-productive, as I'm sure you know!

Grass and carrot tops are great, as is freshly picked grass, rose leaves and herbs. Coriander and dill usually go down well at times like this :)

I have just caught up with this, and am pleased to see that your bunnies are recovering nicely! The vet gave them pain relief, which is good, and I wouldn't force any more meds in there (if the vet agrees) if she's doing well. Too much stress is counter-productive, as I'm sure you know!

Grass and carrot tops are great, as is freshly picked grass, rose leaves and herbs. Coriander and dill usually go down well at times like this :)

Agreed. The last thing I want is to make this experience more stressful for them. Both bunnies passed stools this morning. But again they have not had to many throughout the day. They seem happy and not really to bothered (They are grooming, and getting a bit playful) Although the stools worry me. I'm going to now place some fresh newspaper again in both cages (This is the best way for me to tell how much they are going) and keep an eye. If by later this afternoon they have not passed any more stools, it might be an option to give them more Clopamon... Although it's stressful for the bunnies.

Okay,

We just put down fresh paper (second time today) and given both bunnies some carrot tops which they are really enjoying. Hopefully we'll be able to see if they pass some stools. My thinking is that their bodies are taking in most of the nutrients and perhaps that's why they aren't passing as many as they should.

Okay,

We just put down fresh paper (second time today) and given both bunnies some carrot tops which they are really enjoying. Hopefully we'll be able to see if they pass some stools. My thinking is that their bodies are taking in most of the nutrients and perhaps that's why they aren't passing as many as they should.

They will have less output initially as 1- their gut motility will have been slowed down by the GA and 2- They have had a limited intake of food so less in = less out. It will take a bit more time for output to return to normal :)

Agreed. The last thing I want is to make this experience more stressful for them. Both bunnies passed stools this morning. But again they have not had to many throughout the day. They seem happy and not really to bothered (They are grooming, and getting a bit playful) Although the stools worry me. I'm going to now place some fresh newspaper again in both cages (This is the best way for me to tell how much they are going) and keep an eye. If by later this afternoon they have not passed any more stools, it might be an option to give them more Clopamon... Although it's stressful for the bunnies.

Yeah, well you've always got that up your sleeve, and it's very useful 'just in case' ...

I hope they continue to progress well :thumb:

They will have less output initially as 1- their gut motility will have been slowed down by the GA and 2- They have had a limited intake of food so less in = less out. It will take a bit more time for output to return to normal :)

Yes I completely understand :) I think I just need to be patient

Yeah, well you've always got that up your sleeve, and it's very useful 'just in case' ...

I hope they continue to progress well :thumb:

Well we replaced her newspaper but no luck on the pooping. We gave both bunnies the Clopamon, Soutie managed to get quite a bit out, Dutchy not so much, only about 2 or 3. We have managed to give her more carrot tops and grass which she is eating and we'll monitor her for the rest of the evening and then tomorrow hopefully she'll be passing more stools. She gets very aggravated after we give her the meds so we're going to give her a bit of piece and quite. I think the heat is also not helping here. So we've got the fan on and keeping the bunnies cool.

Thank you to everyone for the positive comments and advice, it is greatly appreciated :)

Well we replaced her newspaper but no luck on the pooping. We gave both bunnies the Clopamon, Soutie managed to get quite a bit out, Dutchy not so much, only about 2 or 3. We have managed to give her more carrot tops and grass which she is eating and we'll monitor her for the rest of the evening and then tomorrow hopefully she'll be passing more stools. She gets very aggravated after we give her the meds so we're going to give her a bit of piece and quite. I think the heat is also not helping here. So we've got the fan on and keeping the bunnies cool.

Thank you to everyone for the positive comments and advice, it is greatly appreciated :)

Hoping you have all have a peaceful night, with lots of poops and eating ... Please let me know how things go :)

Hoping you have all have a peaceful night, with lots of poops and eating ... Please let me know how things go :)

They are both doing so much better today. Dutchy is pooping on her own now, they are getting a bit bigger and more natural in colour. I have noticed they seem to have 'Waves' of pooping time. So now Soutie hasn't pooped to much since this morning. When we cleaned out their cages, between them they had about 12-15 poops each. They also seem to be feeling better in terms of pain, they are getting sick of their cages now so over the next day or two we'll be looking at letting them out one at a time for a while. We're also restricting the treats a bit more, not too much but we do want to get them used to the hay and pellets again :)

They are also getting more friendlier, Dutchy is licking us which is a good sign (perhaps time for another salt lick)

Being able to share events or lack there of is quite comforting in this situation.

Thanks again :)

They are both doing so much better today. Dutchy is pooping on her own now, they are getting a bit bigger and more natural in colour. I have noticed they seem to have 'Waves' of pooping time. So now Soutie hasn't pooped to much since this morning. When we cleaned out their cages, between them they had about 12-15 poops each. They also seem to be feeling better in terms of pain, they are getting sick of their cages now so over the next day or two we'll be looking at letting them out one at a time for a while. We're also restricting the treats a bit more, not too much but we do want to get them used to the hay and pellets again :)

They are also getting more friendlier, Dutchy is licking us which is a good sign (perhaps time for another salt lick)

Being able to share events or lack there of is quite comforting in this situation.

Thanks again :)

Good, I'm glad it helped you :D

Nice to hear they are settling down now!

Back