• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Climbing/jumping out of pen

mariposa

Mama Doe
Our little guy has a large puppy pen as a base, with plenty of roaming time. We covered the outside with weld mesh after he managed to squeeze through when he was very young, and pegged blankets over the top as we'd read that they can climb/jump quite high.

Over the past few days his pen has been in a different location (in the same room) while we have the window fixed, and he's been climbing/jumping the pen to the top, even with the blankets there. He hasn't yet made it over but it's very close! We thought it was only at feeding times (when he can smell the food and is more excited) but today he attempted it while we were both in the other room :?

What else can we do? We'll try one big sheet instead of two blankets, even though they overlap. I'm so worried that he'll hurt himself trying to get out, or get out overnight and panic he can't get back in/hurt himself/damage things in the flat :? The only other thing I've thought of is to make a lid but not sure how we'd go about that.

We'll move the pen back soon when the window's fixed, and are going to look into a friend for him soon, but wondering what else we can do. I feel very anxious about him at the moment :(

Do you have any spare pen panels? Bob can jump out of his pen too but we bought a second pen and used the extra panels to make a lid which works nicely

Do you have any spare pen panels? Bob can jump out of his pen too but we bought a second pen and used the extra panels to make a lid which works nicely

Ooh that's a good idea, thank you. We don't have any but could get some. How do you attach them to make the lid?

ETA: the sheet can at least be pulled tighter so hopefully that'll do for now! It also comes over the sides a bit so hoping that'll put him off xx

Well the pen we have has panels with little loops at the ends that you line up to feed a pin through ..... We just feed these loops through the panels near the top and use a horizontal pin to keep them in place.

Sorry if that description was a bit rubbish, I've never been very good at explaining myself :lol:

How to attach: Zip ties!! This is how I created lids/levels out of the puppy pen panels.
You can never have too many zip ties!

Sent from my D2303 using Tapatalk

My rabbit uses the wire thats across the bottom of the wire that goes across it and basically climbs out.

Mrs Carr - think I know what you mean but not sure it'd work with ours!

Sophia_Flo - yep, we used a lot of cable ties to attach the weld mesh! Would ideally like a lid we could lift/move for cleaning etc.

Julia25 - we've seen how he does it - similar to yours I think! He hasn't gone over yet but trying to minimise the chance. At least he's in a bunny proof room but don't want him to panic or hurt himself.

Well he stayed put last night! As I said, he hasn't actually got over it yet but he's not far off. His legs definitely left the ground this morning even with the sheet pegged over but that was when I was about to let him out. I know it's not helpful for my anxiety but I'm so fixated on him hurting himself trying or succeeding and hurting himself in the room :(

Hi mariposa,

As promised a pic of Bob's pen .......... not the best pic in the world but it should give you an idea of how we attached the spare panel to make a lid :)

image_zpsptgpm8pe.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

Thank you! What gorgeous bunnies with a lovely set up :)

Our pen is rectangular so would need two panels and they'd be to be very secure. Hopefully the sheet will deter him for now at least! The room he's in is bunny proofed for when he's out but obviously he's only out when supervised! xxx

Back