• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My rabbit's abscess burst :(

BunnyBooBoo

Young Bun
Her abscess under her neck just burst. I've read that it's a good thing for it to burst? I cleaned it up and she seems to be acting normal for the most part. She is eating her hay and her nuggets as normal. She just obviously feels uncomfortable due to the leaking and she keeps trying to clean herself. I am helping her clean herself obviously, but she keeps running away when I bring the towel near her. What can I do? I'm scared. :(

Last edited:
Her abscess under her neck just burst. I've read that it's a good thing for it to burst? I cleaned it up and she seems to be acting normal for the most part. She is eating her hay and nuggets as normal. She just obviously feels uncomfortable due to the leaking and she keeps trying to clean herself. I am helping her clean herself obviously, but she keeps running away when I bring the towel near her. What can I do? I'm scared. :(

Is she receiving Veterinary treatment for the abscess already ? -ie is she on antibiotics etc ?

No she was not receiving vet care. I thought it was a dewlap, I didnt even realise she had an abscess until this morning. The abscess (which I initially thought was a big dewlap) has gone down significantly btw. It's hardly even leaking anymore.

Last edited:
I would take her to the vet - today if you can - to be checked over (she may well need medication).

You do need to take her to the vets. Yes, it is a good thing that it has burst, and you do need to clean it out, but you need to ensure that you are doing that properly and she will also need antibiotics. The vet will probably suggest baytril, but I personally think that it is rubbish for treating abscesses.

Although you are not seeing any leaking from the abscess, there will deffo be more pus in there. Rabbit pus is very thick and does not drain well. When cleaning you really need to be flushing it out with diluted iodine / hibiscrub. I also use high UMF factor Manuka Honey in the abscess after cleaning.

Rabbit abscesses are hardy wee blighters and can take a while to go away totally.

Her abscess under her neck just burst. I've read that it's a good thing for it to burst? I cleaned it up and she seems to be acting normal for the most part. She is eating her hay and her nuggets as normal. She just obviously feels uncomfortable due to the leaking and she keeps trying to clean herself. I am helping her clean herself obviously, but she keeps running away when I bring the towel near her. What can I do? I'm scared. :(

Ooh sorry, that must have been a (messy) shock for you!

Yes it's a good thing to have burst, and depending upon what the vet thinks has caused it, she may be put on antibiotics. In addition to antibiotics, you will need to clean the abscess cavity out. I have used Manuka Honey Grade 25 to stuff into the abscess cavity, which cleans and disinfects it without need for other cleaners. You need to be guided by your vet as to what to do next.

Good luck!

Thanks a lot you guys! I just consulted my vets over the phone. They did recommend taking her to the vets as they mentioned infections from abscesses have the potential to spread quite fast. They said she most likely will need antibiotics. I am going to be taking her in today, hopefully. Until then they said to clean up the leaking by mixing antiseptic in warm water. I'll also be applying the honey. Do you guys have any other recommendations?

@MightyMax Thank you. Yes it was a huge shock. I was so scared but I was encouraged after I came onto here and saw some older threads related to abscess bursts. I have regular honey but not manuka honey. Will regular honey be okay or is manuka honey in particular more effective?

@MightyMax Thank you. Yes it was a huge shock. I was so scared but I was encouraged after I came onto here and saw some older threads related to abscess bursts. I have regular honey but not manuka honey. Will regular honey be okay or is manuka honey in particular more effective?

Manuka Honey is by far superior.

http://rawmanukahoney.co.uk/manuka-honey/active-10-manuka-honey-umf-20-15-25

http://www.manukahoneydirect.co.uk/ManukaHoneyGuide-lp-6.html

I would not put any sort of Honey into the wound until the Vet has seen it. The Vet may need to debride all the necrotic tissue within the wound and also ascertain if the abscess has tracked internally.

For now I'd just bath it with a warm sterile saline solution and then leave it alone until the Vet sees it and you obtain professional advice.

Good luck.

Manuka is the one that is effective. It is expensive but it really works well.
If you get a couple of 2ml syringes from your vets the honey can be easily sooked into the syringe and then you can get it right into the abscess cavity :)

But, wait until the vets has seen her.

I am in the process of dealing with one on my Herbie. I hate them!

I don't know how comfortable you would be giving your bunny injections, but I have found injectable penicillian to be the best treatment. If the abscess is pretty big and not easy to access then Metacam is also good to ask for, give it a few hours before you clean it out and it makes it more comfortable for the bunny to deal with when you are cleaning.

Yes, scientific tests have proved that regular honey is also effective in killing bacteria and disinfecting wounds. There would be no problem putting it in straight away, it's a recognised method of treatment in humans and animals :D

Manuka honey has superior medicinal qualities, but ALL honey will work!

Back