• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Something wrong with Noah

catherine09

Mama Doe
:cry:

My special boy has been losing weight, and has now lost nearly 1kg. I took him to the vets almost 2 months ago when we first noticed the prolonged weight loss and we started preventative treatment - first feeding him seperately to the others to make sure he was getting his share, then treatment for Coxxi, then worming. Now he's been in for Xrays and bloods this week. Xrays came back clear and am waiting for bloods. All the time still losing weight despite feeding him junior food (as much as he will eat in a single sitting 1x day, plus his normal pellets too)

As well as the weight loss, he seems to be permanently stained underneath his belly, almost like he is weeing on himself. It's always dry and not matted though, vet is considering what could be causing it.

Then tonight I've gone out and his eye is quite gunky and half shut - so vets tomorrow for that. Twice in one week :(

Feel like something is compromising his immune system and the stress of the vets has caused a bit of a URI, hence the gunky eye. Just hope we get to the cause of it soon.....

Sending loads of vibes for the very beautiful Noah (saw his picture recently in the White Rabbits thread :love:). I hope the vet can establish what the problem actually is and successfully treat it.

Aww poor critter, I hope the vets can get to the bottom of whatever it is and make him better soon x

Poor lad :cry: I hope that you get some answers soon as the 'not knowing' can be so stressful. The blood test results may provide some idea as to his kidney and liver function and anything else that may be going on for him.

Sending lots of vibes xx

Sp things have moved on quite a bit since I last updated this post.

Noah's bloods came back clear and I think my vet was a bit stumped, luckily the buns were due to go into boarding with Helen at TRC and within a couple of minutes of seeing him she confirmed it really looked like a problem with his heart by his physical symptoms. So I decided to ditch my current vet who had told me his heart was OK on the Xrays, and got a referral to Anton to see John Chitty. Due to it being so near Xmas, I didn't actually see John but saw one of the vets he works with, who was very good (and typical I've forgotten her name :oops: ). Noah was given more Xrays, an ultrasound and an ECG and we are looking at heart problems as Helen predicted.

He has an enlarged heart which isn't beating properly, but they didn't detect arrhythmia on the ECG it's just that the muscles are not beating as hard as they should be, but are keeping a steady beat. He also had some fluid build up around his heart and his lungs were quote congested too. Start of tooth root elongation but that's something that they have just seen on the Xray and picked up early that wouldn't be causing his current symptoms.

So he has been on Frusol (heart med), Tramadol (painkiller) and Sulfratrim (antibiotic) for the past 6 days and I hope it's not my imagination but he seems to be improving. He is back to see John tomorrow (it is actually John this time as other vet is away!) for a further assessment.

Once again I cannot fault the care given by the team at Anton and wish I lived closer so that I could use them all the time

Hi Catherine

I'm sure it's not your imagination that he seems to look better. You know him so well that you will detect any changes. I hope that the meds do go a long way to helping him and am sure that John will be able to put your mind at rest tomorrow.

Sadly I've seen a few heart bunnies here now, most recently my blue eyed white Frenchie Dandelion who we lost just a month after arrival from heart failure, and so when your buns came for Christmas and having spoken with you it did seem that it was a possible cause. I wished I had been wrong of course but in a way atleast you had a idea to go to Anton's with.

I'm hoping for a good result tomorrow - Noah is one special boy and has stolen my heart (as his two companions have too).

Sending positive thoughts to you all.

I am sorry that Noah has heart problems :( I hope that he can remain as well as possible under the good care of Anton Vets. It is always so reassuring to have a vet you can trust. Noah is a beautiful rabbit :love:

i'm glad you have an answer and hope he can remain comfortable. it's good news you have already noticed a change :) x

I hope that Noah continues to improve on the medication. Anton are great, it sounds like you saw Violaine, the French vet? She's great. Usually I only trust John however since she started, I am happy to see her as well.

Lots of vibes for Noah :love:

The diuretic (Frusol) will have shifted a lot of the fluid from his lungs so I am sure he is feeling a lot more comfortable now. I have had several Rabbits develop CHF and all but one were able to live a good quality life for a considerable length of time on longterm treatment. One for almost 2 years. They all remained bright within themselves with really good appetites. I hope that Noah will do really well too, I expect JC will suggest various other drug treatments. There are several possibilities. xx

Just back from vets, he has put on 210g in the last week which is fab :D I knew he had put weight on as could see he was more filled out and hips less pronounced than they were. His chest sounds a lot clearer too, I could see he was breathing easier and not doing the horrible panting and head up sitting.

Still on the same treatment, back in 2weeks for another checkup and blood test. John is worried about his kidneys as the levels are right at the top of 'safe' and they have gone up since last time.

I'm sorry its heart problems, but so glad he is improving on his medications.

Fingers crossed his kidneys stay as they are!

Back