• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Another question re mites and cleaning!

benjiboom

Warren Scout
I posted about Benji and his mite problem, he has been treated twice with xeno and will have a 3rd treatment in a few weeks, I sprayed my living room rug with staykill from pah , but all my floors are wooden so do I need to spray the wood floors? Also my sofa is leather, but I don't want to spray it, benji never goes on the sofa though so will this be okay? He never goes upstairs either so I didn't treat upstairs, is this ok? Sorry for all the questions, just worried about reinfestation for benji now!:oops:

I would spray all floors - mites will get into tiny crevices and edges in any type of flooring. Regular cleaning won't get into those places.
The sofa could be damp dusted (wiped over with a wet cloth) and vacuum under the cushions.

I posted about Benji and his mite problem, he has been treated twice with xeno and will have a 3rd treatment in a few weeks, I sprayed my living room rug with staykill from pah , but all my floors are wooden so do I need to spray the wood floors? Also my sofa is leather, but I don't want to spray it, benji never goes on the sofa though so will this be okay? He never goes upstairs either so I didn't treat upstairs, is this ok? Sorry for all the questions, just worried about reinfestation for benji now!:oops:

In the 'old' days vets used to sell cans of chemical sprays for mites, but in the last ten years or so I have not known any vet suggest to me to treat the surroundings, just the rabbits.

I have never treated any of my house with chemicals, and have not had repeats of mites for many years. I wouldn't want my rabbits ingesting them. I steam clean the carpets and find that the treatments administered correctly deal with the situation.

I have found that rabbits and guinea pigs that have mites often have something else going on. Mites are normal in their environment (on hay etc) but rarely have the chance to cause a problem. They should get groomed out out of the coat, so repeated infestations may require further health investigations (eg teeth, arthritis, etc). If there are still mites after this round of treatment and all you have done to eliminate them in the environment, I would suggest a full bunny MOT. Hopefully it is a one-off as you have covered all the usual areas - maybe check the hay and its storage area as well to see if it is the main source. Bagged hay can create different conditions which allow bugs to thrive where they wouldn't normally, and could have been there for months in the shop before you got it. Just guessing here - but worth checking it out anyway as you have been so thorough.

Thanks for replies, I think I have probably done enough now! I was more concerned about Benji getting them again, but I think I have covered all the bases. I will keep an eye on him, he isn't scratching anymore anyway! He does have teeth issues, a dental about every 9 months or so, vet checked them last week, and she said all is good, may have been a batch of hay? This is his first problem with mites. He still has a few flakes of the dandruff, I have tried to groom them out but can't get them, will these cause any problem or should tbe mites all be dead now?

Last edited:
Back