• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

2 males both neutered, previously best friends, now hate each other

altitude

New Kit
I have two beautiful male rabbits, one is a dwarf lop (8 months old) and one is a netherland dwarf cross breed (6 months old).

They were best friends up until 6 weeks ago, they ate together, flopped together, groomed each other, and every thing was rosy.
Then I went to feed them one morning and the lop had a tear in his ear and was hiding in corner (he is normally at the front waiting for his food). I separated them immediately and put a divider in their 2 layer hutch and rang the vets and booked them in to both be neutered 2 days later. (I was previously told by a different vet that I had to wait until both the rabbits were at least 7 months old before they would neuter them... in hindsight I now know this to be bad advice)

I waited a few days after the op before starting to reintroduce them. They have only been together supervised as they will get along for 10 mins, they will groom each other, eat out of the same bowl just like before but then they see red, they will circle each other tightly and I can smell some sort of pheromone. At this point I will grab one of them before fur starts flying.
I have tried getting them out in different rooms so that neither one would recognise so they might use each other for comfort, but it doesn't work.

I really don't know what to do, on their own they are lovely rabbits, they will both flop next to my leg when I'm sat on the sofa, but I don't trust them together.

I would appreciate it if any one can offer any advice that might help

You need to wait a few weeks (six I think) after the snip before all the hormones are settled down. I introduced my two bucks back together too soon after their ops and they fought.

I was advised (on here) to keep them totally separate for a few weeks, no sight or smell of each other then reintroduce them on neutral territory.

I did this and introduced two bonded sisters to them at the same time.

They now all live very happily in a shed/aviary set up in the garden. Have been together for two years now with no issues at all.

Best of luck.

You just need patience and nerves of steel!

Back