• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rosie panicked me yesterday afternoon!!

Helenmarie85

Warren Scout
I cleaned out the rabbit hutch and now Buster is a bit easier to get hold of since his op or you can just touch his back he will run back into the hutch, I just let them roam around the garden while I do so. Its enclosed so they can't get out and I block off the shed so they can't get under it. Well normally when you go out both are scrabbling at the door like little puppies. Only Rosie wasn't. I let Buster out and fussed with Rosie ... she didn't come to greet me as normal, she was very quiet in the back of the hutch. She let me stroke her, but kept turning round in circles and flopping on her side .. as if she couldn't get comfortable. She refused some pellets and even a slice of cucumber .. which then began to concern me because she never refuses food!! The entire time I cleaned out the hutch she stayed quiet up in the house part of the hutch. It was then feeding time and I had to scoop her up in front of the bowl. She did eat .. but not much then hopped to the litter tray and was eating hay. Progress but she still had me worried .. even though she was eating. I checked on her a few times last night before bed and she was happily hopping around eating hay etc. So did go to bed happy that she had perked up. This morning she was her normal self .. scrabbling at the door to come out ... they both had there hopping around the garden while I swept up any poop on the floor, sprayed vinegar as Buster the little sod still pees in his corner when we have the bigger tray!!! When they heard the bowl click on the floor both came running as usual for food. So am more relaxed about her today. I will keep an eye on her still though but for now she seems her normal self. What could it have been??? Do rabbits have off days?? Could she have been spooked as my eldest and his friend were in the garden just before and were fairly loud as kids are???

I cleaned out the rabbit hutch and now Buster is a bit easier to get hold of since his op or you can just touch his back he will run back into the hutch, I just let them roam around the garden while I do so. Its enclosed so they can't get out and I block off the shed so they can't get under it. Well normally when you go out both are scrabbling at the door like little puppies. Only Rosie wasn't. I let Buster out and fussed with Rosie ... she didn't come to greet me as normal, she was very quiet in the back of the hutch. She let me stroke her, but kept turning round in circles and flopping on her side .. as if she couldn't get comfortable. She refused some pellets and even a slice of cucumber .. which then began to concern me because she never refuses food!! The entire time I cleaned out the hutch she stayed quiet up in the house part of the hutch. It was then feeding time and I had to scoop her up in front of the bowl. She did eat .. but not much then hopped to the litter tray and was eating hay. Progress but she still had me worried .. even though she was eating. I checked on her a few times last night before bed and she was happily hopping around eating hay etc. So did go to bed happy that she had perked up. This morning she was her normal self .. scrabbling at the door to come out ... they both had there hopping around the garden while I swept up any poop on the floor, sprayed vinegar as Buster the little sod still pees in his corner when we have the bigger tray!!! When they heard the bowl click on the floor both came running as usual for food. So am more relaxed about her today. I will keep an eye on her still though but for now she seems her normal self. What could it have been??? Do rabbits have off days?? Could she have been spooked as my eldest and his friend were in the garden just before and were fairly loud as kids are???

Rabbits dont really have 'off' days. The behaviour you describe sounds as though she may have been experiencing some abdominal pain. As she appears to have make a quick recovery it may have been some gas build up which resolved by itself. Noting poo output is a good way of monitoring a Rabbit's GI tract function. So if you notice that there are less poos/smaller drier poos than normal that indicates a reduced gut motility which in turn can lead to a build up of painful gas in the intestines.

These may be useful to read:

http://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/pdfs/ROWinter10p7.pdf

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/drop/Drp_en.htm

We've just had this on another thread with DaphnePhoebe and her little one, to which I replied that in my experience rabbits don't have 'off days' !

Read here: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?451699-Phoebe-seems-off

We often don't find out what's gone on to make them behave as they do, but we have to be thankful when matters resolve themselves and we don't have the dreaded vet visit :shock:

Sometimes getting spooked by something can be enough - rabbits respond to stress in this way, so it could have been something she was unhappy about that you didn't notice ...

Back