• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit with childrens entertainment today..

Hi all,

I am a face painter and today did a job which broke my heart and had to be diplomatic as not my client ... Had a Xmas party today 2 F.P me and persons whos job it was childrens entertainer etc... anyho.... They had a rabbit .. a beautiful grey 5 yr old female , it was soooo hard not to steal her away.

I have no idea why they had her in the show as was very busy loads of children really loud, she sat in a hat for most of it breathing quickly... she comes out of a house .. shown to kids then sits in the hat.

When it was quiet inbetween the 2 shows we all had lunch together so started a conversation with him.... I am honestly confused , he knew carrots were not good for rabbits .. as there was food and someone offered to get some for the rabbit...

However alsp had it in carrying box in between the two shows, water....towel ... nothing else... said oooh I know you have come a long way I 'm only 10 mins shall I pop home and get some hay for her ? ... oh no its ok she does not eat much only in the evening and every now and again... eats loads... she is not that keen on hay... :shock:

He has had her for 5yrs from 2 months old he has 2 other rabbits all live in seperate hutches... tried to drop in ooh really rabbits love to be bonded and live in groups like mine..... but his are not "seen too" as he put it and they are not breeding them...

He said he spends more on his rabbits then his son and takes her to a vet once a month to have nails trimmed.. but I could not believe this poor bunny just sitting in a hat .
Feel like I failed poor bunny as I was talking about mine and how much space they need, attention, other buns etc .. he said oh I know when I'm driving she sits in the front seat...

How on earth has she made it this far ! At least he takes her to the vet for nails trims and check up...:(

How weird that he cares enough to take her for a nail trim once a month but doesn't care that he's not taking proper care of her or his other rabbits :? I wonder if he just doesn't know as much about rabbits as he thinks he does. He sounds caring but just a bit clueless. A lot of people think 'oh I've had rabbits for years of course I know how to care for them, I don't need any advice' and kinda shut their ears to everything.

It's a shame the vet he takes them to apparently hasn't got through to him. Surely it's only a matter of time before one of them needs a dental...hopefully the vet will catch that and the owner will finally realize the importtance of hay and start realizing they were wrong on some things.:(

Back